LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #1
S/42 1938
User

Post Mauser vs. DWM

I am sure that this has been discuss many times but I am looking at purchasing my first Luger for a shooter. Most people have recommended a 1930's Mauser. I kind of like the interwar commercial ones. Is there any reason to be concerned with the quality of a 1920's commercial or a "sneak?"

What do the veterans think?
S/42 1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2003, 10:31 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Quality? No worries.

Other concerns may come into play. Interwar Commercial Lugers are likely to be chambered in .30 Luger. While a lot of people here like this caliber, commercial ammunition is hard to come by, expensive, and underpowered. Quite a few of the people here who shoot this load their own.

Interwar 9mm Lugers, "sneaks", Police pistols, etc., are likely to have more collector value than a run-of-the-mill WWII Mauser, and their value may be more affected by the vicissitudes of shooting.

1930s Mausers have the benefit of a quarter-century of advancements in the metallurgical arts.

Lugers are a lot of fun to shoot, and I do regularly. I tend to collect pre-WWII Lugers of several varieties. My main shooter is a 1936 S/42 (Mauser).

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote