LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-02-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
DougT
User

Post Mitchells Mausers K98-M48 Rifles

A friend of mine and I are each considering purchasing one of the "Mitchell Mausers K98-M48" series rifles--does anyone have any feedback about these guns? They look pretty good on Mitchell's website, so we're going to a dealer soon to examine them. Are these guns fairly representative of the WWII K98's, or are they just some flashy junk that Mitchell has come up with?
Thanks, DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Stevie
User

The ones I've seen are like new, but quite pricey at $250 or more. I think you could shop around and beat the price by about 50%. The Yugo M48 and M48A are somewhat different than a German K98k. I think but few parts will inter change with the German and Czech 98's. But you can get a Yugo rebuilt German K98k which is essentialy identical to and in fact is a German K98k. I have a Yugo rebuilt BNZ43(Styer) that has more German eagles on it than you can shake a stick at. I like shooting my Yugonized K98k, and 8mm ammo is dirt cheap and plentiful. I have seen very nice M48's sell for $125 or less. I also have a Czech Brno 98/22 8mm a very nice shooter for little money. I think I paid $90 for my K98k several years ago, and I think they sell for around $150 or a little less maybe now. The Yugo M48 series are fine rifles, and everyone I know that owns one likes it. I,ve heard good and bad reports on the Russian captured German K98k's recently imported, and the price seems high.

Stevie.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Bob in OH
User

Universally they get a thumbs down. Save your money!! There are several good k98 forums to check out...and verify if you need a 2nd opinion.
Bob in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2004, 01:16 AM   #4
Dean
User

I picked up a real nice M48 for $129 from a local dealer. It's nice to be able to look through a bunch of them and choose the one you like best.

I think Mitchell sells the M48s with all the accessories so there is some value in that.

The Yugo is a pretty nice gun for the money.
However, if your just getting into the milsurp rifles you might want to look for a good Czech VZ24. They have a slightly shorter barrel and handle very nice. They have the more standard size mauser action and the fit and finish is pretty good. The stockwork is also more interesting, cherry colored with lots of sling fittings.

Best to check out your local gun shows where you can look at them before purchase.
Unread 07-05-2004, 12:55 AM   #5
Sieger
User

Hi Doug:

Save yourself some money, as I paid only $169.00 for a mint, unissued rifle!!!

Get on Auction Arms and buy one of the unissued M48bo models that are listed there. You'll get a three day inspection and return if you don't like the one you are sent.

The "bo" designation was for the export model. These guns have much better fit and finish than the garden variety M48s I've seen at the range and are all unissued, mint, rifles.

For an 8mm, mine is a very accurate (1.0 inch at 100 yards), easy handeling rifle. Expect some stock cleaning, as these were all stored in the grease!!!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
GunCat
User

If you haven't already purchased a rifle...

I got one from Mitchels Mauser a while back, and I can tell you they are extremely good quality, and a perfect finish. Or at least the one I got from them. The one I got was made in 1943, in Yugoslovia under German occupation and control, and it looks very nice.

No Nazi markings on it though.