LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-28-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
fg42
User

Default The paratrooper and the 92 Winchester (Sorry Long)

The paratrooper and the 92 Winchester (Sorry Long)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was reading on Gunboards in the War stories board the thread "Great-Grandfather's story (plus notes) (Lengthy)". In which the writers great-grandfather, a British soldier relates that for a time he carried a Winchester lever action in action. This is causing a lot of disbelief and correcting the story By other readers. I believe that the old man might be remembering the truth and this story is why I feel that way. In 2001 my wife and I were on a "Bike Barge" tour of the Netherlands. I left the tour when it was possible to visit WW II sights and museums. In the Netherlands there are many WW II museums they are usually called 39-45 museums. I visited several and I am not 100% which one I saw this in but I think it was Neimeagan. There was a mannequin with a full paratroopers uniform and all the equipment he carried. At the mannequins side was a 92 Winchester. This didn't appear right to me so I asked why it was there. The Museum's curator told me that it was right. During operation " Market Garden" the US soldier was killed on a local farm. The farmer buried him and his uniform & rifle & equipment separately. This area was German occupied for almost a year. When liberation finally came the farmer came forward and showed graves registration the sites. The next of kin ( in Texas?) were notified that all of his personal belongings were intact. They said that since the uniform rifle, etc., were going to be in a museum that was being put together that his personal items should stay also. The curator showed me the holes in the back from a MP40 ? A canteen carrier held a supply of 44-40 lead bullet shells. He told me exactly the amount of money in the pockets to this day. The curator had no explanation for why the soldier had a 92 Winchester except that apparently he was familiar with it and decided to fight the war with it. Sorry this was so long but it was a great story to hear and retell. Bob Benson PS- 2 days later we watched the second plane fly into the Twin Towers live.
fg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
azlaw
User

Sort of an odd choice for combat use, but not impossible. These rifles were exported to Europe, so maybe he found it there.

Airborn forces in Market-Garden were poorly provisioned (the British had the worst of it), and relieving ground forces were very slow to arrive, or didn't arrive at all in the case of the British. Ammunition and everything else was in short supply, so maybe this dude lost his weapon or ran out of ammunition, found the 92 with some ammo and picked it up. Nijmegen is where the US airborn forces were concentrated, so that makes sense.

Only thing that is a bit odd is an American being far enough north to be in an area outside of the "Nijmegen Salient", in an area re-occupied by the Germans, consistent with the "hide the rifle" part of the tale. The British commander did not permit the Americans to advance toward Arnhem once they had secured Nijmegen, but that doesn't mean that a few folks didn't end up outside of their unit areas.

H
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

From what I have been told, Paratroopers could get away with a lot of using their own weapons; a lot like Special Forces do to this day. I have no reason to disbelieve a 92 Winchester being brought along; expecially after D Day. I would think that D Day troops were more likely to carry US issued weapons, while on the 2nd jump, you hear of trops that carried "extra" weapons, I think it was band of brothers that a trooper was carrying a shotgun with him? As an examples, it was far easier for a trooper to get a M1 carbine or Thompson than other ground troops could pick them up.

I have heard the story more than once of Vietnam Vets carrying S&W's, Colts, etc that were not issued, bringing it home was much harder, but getting it over there or picking it up over there was very possible.

For the WW2 vet, I see no reason to see why it was not sent to him or he picked it up locally.

I also know that US citizens sent large amounts of guns to the Brits when they called for arms (I have seen pictures of shotguns, old rifles, etc), but before the Lend Lease actually started rolling. From what I have read, I am sure most were stored or destroyed, AFTER the lend lease guns started coming over.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
azlaw
User

The only thing was that airborne forces in Market-Garden were not coming out of combat, but rather directly from England after post D-Day rest, training, and refitting - they were (generally) fully equipped when they jumped. Seems unlikely (but not impossible) that someone would have such a non-standard weapon (for which no ammo would be available in combat) under those circumstances.

That said, we certainly know that GIs were quite willing to pick up (and buff and nickle) foreign weapons, eh?

A3 (as an aside) shotguns were really frowned on in the ETO in combat, and were not issued for that purpose. They were used to guard prisoners, however. The Germans claimed in 1918 they were illegal according to the Hague Convention, we thought (and still think) otherwise, but we stopped using them in combat (at least officially, in declared wars, except on the Japanese, a litttle bit, but they deserved it) ever since.

I know Vietnam vets who had weapons sent to them in country - it was pretty common - particularly handguns and shotguns, which were not issued to most enlisted folks, but which they strongly desired to have. Add to the that TO&Es (tables of organization and equipment) were much more strongly enforced in Vietnam than in WWII in regular combat units, and you have the reason. And no, they could not get them out. There was also a brisk mail order trade in a non-issued lubricant called "Dry-Slide", which supposedly helped to make the M-16 rifle actually work, which it did not when introduced.

H
Unread 10-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The shotgun was widely issued and used in Viet Nam. Mostly Remington 870s but also re issued Winchester 1897s and others. Many soldiers walking point preferred them to break up an ambush or to dissengage from a sudden enemy encounter.
Shotguns were common among Navy seals, LRRPs, vehicle drivers, Helicopter and prop plane drivers and not a few line doggies
There was no stigma in issuing this weapon nor was it difficult to obtain for troops who had a reasonable use for them.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
azlaw
User

And on the subject of non-standard Winchesters of WWII...

The famous English Commando Lord Lovat (Simon Fraser, 15th) was famous for carrying an "old Winchester" into battle at Dieppe and D-Day. Does anyone know what specific model it was?

Here is a picture of him with it, but it doesn't help much.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...en%2C_1942.JPG

H
Unread 10-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,426 Posts

"Dry-Slide", which supposedly helped to make the M-16 rifle actually work, which it did not when introduced.
The M-16 rifle was not at fault but rather the ammunition.

In squads with the 173rd Airborne we carried the M79 grenade launcher. It had a number of rounds available and one that was a flechette round, a glorified shotgun. Really a top notch weapon. Could launch a grenade, shoot flares, all sorts of uses.
I can't say as I remember many shotguns. There must have been some..
When I was in LRRP we all carried 16's.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
policeluger
RIP

Memory is fading, but I think I had a Stevens 12ga in VN, it was "US" marked, it was for sure not a Win or Rem......I think.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

I checked out a 1897 Winchester 12ga. "riot gun" from the arms room on a few occasions in Vietnam.
Unread 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Jerry,

Did you know Lt. Adrian Cruz in the 173rd Airborne, by any chance?

He was at Hill 875 at Dak To in November 67.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
fg42
User

If I remember correctly Lord Lovat carried a 6.5x54 MS Mannlicher Schoenauer Rifle. Bob Benson
fg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 01:54 AM   #12
MikeP
User

My dad jumped in with the 506th at Eindhoven.
They were fully re-equipped from Normandy.
Bastogne was a different deal. They were snatched up haphazardly, some without any weapons or gear.
I don't see how that guy could have stood many formations and kept that piece, but we'll never know.

Some units were more lenient than others in RVN, depended on what day what time and who was in charge.
Friend of mine returning from an operation playfully grabbed at a '97 Winchester another guy had at a guardpost.
His last words were "That's the last stupid thing I do with a gun."
He was a good guy.

It is best everybody carries the same piece in combat.
Ammo supply and sound being the chief considerations.
I worked with CIDG and we used M2 Carbines and BARs til the powers that be decided to arm them with '16s and other modern stuff.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote