upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 01-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
tau-delt
User

Default Navy Grip Strap Markings

Observed 1908 Navy SN 5120b with grip strap:

WW

IMHO the gun was right as rain but the stamping was engraved. I have been wandering thru luger life understanding that most were stamped and some were pantographed. Can somebody tell me that it could be correct? I'm trying to talk myself into this one and I would like to think I should know better........
Unread 01-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
maddog350gt
User

tau-delt;

I have 1908 Navy 5414b, it is unit marked;

ISB

The unit marks are all hand stamped on this one. I might be wrong but I think the unit marks were applied by the receiving unit so each organization could have a different method. Most WWII Navy markings are engraved; I am not sure about the WWI guns. My earlier 1906 is marked;

IITD

And is definitely engraved, but that gun is restored. It's my understanding that the restorer only refreshed the markings that were on the gun, but I can't tell for sure if the original marking was roll stamped, engraved or hand stamped. I would guess that with the large number of guns issued by WW if anyone had engraving capability it would have been in one of the larger unit armories.

I would be interested in what others have to say. I am looking at another Navy (1906 1st issue altered) that is unit marked but I saw it a couple of months ago and I can't remember with any certainty how the unit marking was done? If I get it I'll post some pictures.

I guess I really didn't help much but maybe you'll get some other answers from more knowledgeable people. I would check my Navy book but I can't seem to find it.
Bye the way I got your letter Saturday and will get something back to you soon.
Bob M.
maddog350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Madcow
User

I was interested in buying a gun on Gunbroker that had simmilar markings. The buers indication was;
Back strap is marked W.W. for dockyard at Wilhemshaven. Their are only 69 of these reported with this unit mark, very rare.
Here is the link.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=157213295