LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
Rick W.
User

Default extractor slot

i
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
The Wizard
User

Rick,

I have just started the planning stage of a Luger custom barrel project and I was wondering if tooling exsisted to cut the extractor groove. I guess not. I was wondering who produces/produced the barrels for Gun Parts Corp. They must have sort of tooling to cut the extractor groove. And then there is Mauser and Waffenfrik Bern (sp?). What tooling did they use? Anyone have a contact at any of these places?

I do have the dimensions for the extractor groove both for the 1900 and 1906 style. But I am not very goog at grinding tools.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
War is an act of force and to the application of that force there is no limit! So say the philosophers (Carl von Clausewitz b 1780 d 1831) of war.
The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Gun Parts Corp (Numrich) made their own Luger barrels. The problem with them is/was varying degrees of quality control. I have heard many stories of improperly indexed front sight bases and extractor cuts...

Rick if you do not have my Blueprint CD it might be helpful...

Regarding the shape of the tooling, after studying the shape and angles involved, I think the extractor cut could be successfully accomplished by properly grinding the shape on an appropriately sized end mill. The cut could be made in any mill with the barrel (properly indexed) held at the correct angle in a milling vise.

Grinding the tool should not be that difficult because all we are doing is creating appropriate clearance for the extractor... resharpening the modified end mill to cut the groove is the most difficult part, but end mills this size are not that expensive to begin with, and you could probably find a couple of dull end mills the right size at a local machine shop for small change... then you can experiment to creat the right tool...

Once created, the right tool would last a very long time if used in small passes until you reach the appropriate depth.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Rick,

after seeing the cutter photo above, I think you could easily make a similar cutter for the Luger extractor cut just by using a slot cutter tool that was chucked into your headstock (so you could make indexed movements to each tooth) and use a high speed grinding bit in a tool post grinder that was mounted to your crossfeed so you could take advantage of the crossfeed stop to make the teeth uniform. just take VERY small bites with the grinder till you get the contours that you want...

Good Luck and let us know how it works out... Try a used slot cutter as a guinea pig first of course....

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote