LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-22-2002, 07:58 PM   #1
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Post 1910 DWM Shooter

This is the 1910 DWM from Double T that several forum members were interested in. Sorry for the poorly-focused photo. Double T's description was conservative, this is an especially pristine Luger with lots of original blue and straw. There are some flaws: a previous owner replaced the grips with cheap repros and crappy grip screws, also someone scratched up the gun here and there with a jackknife or other sharp object and polished the safety lever with a brillo pad. The only disappointment was a moderately pitted bore, not initially obvious, hidden under a petrified layer of residue (although rifling is crisp). I could have returned the gun for this reason but it is just too nice a Luger to let go of. Double T is a gentleman and was a pleasure to do business with, I would gladly deal with him again.

There are some features of this gun that seem unusual to me (this is my first pre-war P08) and I would appreciate feedback from knowledgeable forum members:
â?¢ The knurled grips on the toggle are strawed, is that normal?

â?¢ There is no serial number on the left side of the receiver, just the last 2 digits underneath, on the receiver travel stop

â?¢ There is no rifling land diameter stamped on the underside of the barrel

â?¢ The extractor number is stamped under the extractor (not visible unless removed)

â?¢ Side plate is numbered on the bottom edge (adjacent to the trigger)

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge. KFS

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 09:44 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Karl,
Your 1910 dated military was serial numbered in the commercial style. The serial number was not placed on the left side of the receiver or on the top of the extractor. The sideplate is correct in that it is numbered on the bottom.
Is the barrel serial numbered to the frame and does it have the same proof as the receiver and breechblock? I find it unusual that it does not have the bore gage number.
The toggle knobs were definitely not originally strawed. The knurling/checkering on the takedown lever, magazine release button, and toggle knobs have the appearance of gold paint in the picture.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 09:51 PM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

Karl,
Closed my post too soon. The bad news is that your pistol has a stock lug which it shouldn't have. The stock lug was not added until late in 1913.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 08:41 AM   #4
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Johnny,

Thanks for all the information you provided. The frame and receiver don't match but each assembly has completely matching parts (see other post), so it looks like the frame assembly is 1913 or later (can the date be assertained by serial #3569b? - my 1914 DWM is #8338b). This is a shooter so I don't have a collector's stake in it. The correct military proofs appear on the receiver, barrel and breechblock. The photo does not show the stawing accurately (too bright), it's half or better on the usual parts. I examined the "straw" on the toggle grips this morning and I suppose it could be paint (only appears in the bottom of the grooves), there are also traces of what might be gold paint in the DWM monogram. The curious thing is the lack of a bore diameter stamp. I thought that was universal. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 03:33 PM   #5
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
Karl,

Unfortunately, the serial number on your Luger's frame will not tell you the year in which it was manufactured. Each year in which DWM made military Lugers is likely to have an identical serial number in the "b" block. The only date is the one on the receiver over the chamber.
Doubs is online now   Reply With Quote