LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-09-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Marvin
User

Post Sneak Lugers

I am a little confused about exactly what a "Sneak" Luger is and I hope someone can help. These are also more correctly called 1929 DWM by Jan Still which is probably more appropriate than Sneak.

Are the "q", "r", & "s" range DWM Alphabet Lugers part of what is termed a "Sneak" Luger? It appears that the 1929 DWM Lugers in the "s", "t" & "u" suffix are what I have always thought were the Sneaks. Can the earlier suffixes above be classsified as Sneaks?

There is so much confusion in the Weimar Lugers with so many different type Lugers. Your help is certainly appreciated.

Marvin [img]confused.gif[/img]
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2002, 06:37 PM   #2
Jan C Still
User

Marvin
There is a marked change from commercial to mostly police Luger production at the start of the "s" sn block in about 1929. However, there are s few police straglers in the "q' and "r" sn blocks. This police Luger production stops near the end of the "u" sn block with the transfer of Luger manufacturing equipment to Mauser.

I used the start of the "s" sn block to designate the 29 DWM model. For detail and documentation see Weimar Lugers p 13 to 17 and p 31 to 34.

The term "1933 Mauser sneak" was a promotional term first coined by Ralph Shattuck in his Luger list many years ago It was intended to apply to blank toggle Lugers mostly found in the "u" sn block. Supposedly these sneaks were manufactured by Mauser and secretly supplied to elements of the SS and SA. Documentation to support this claim has not been found.
Jan C. Still

The term "sneak
Jan C Still is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2002, 06:55 PM   #3
Herb
User

Ah Ha, very interestink! I wondered where that term came from, thanks Jan.
Unread 06-11-2002, 06:27 AM   #4
Marvin
User

Jan,

Thanks for the great information. I have read both your Weimar and Third Reich Lugers and thought I understood about the 1929 DWM, but I had seen some pistols in the "q" & "r" suffix that was claimed to be a "Sneak". I was not sure who coined the phrase originally, but felt that it was a marketing ploy like the "Blackwidow" name.

I will assume that a Police pistol with the Schutszpolizie or Landsgewerie (spelling) stanps would still be correct, the same as a "s", "t" or early "u" suffix as a BKIW produced pistol.

Thanks for the information! Wow, the Weimars are sure interesting, but confusing. I for, do appreciate the work you have done on your books and having this information available to us collectors.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote