LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-17-2002, 07:26 AM   #1
edalpha
User

Post All matching numbers?

Hello Guys, I'm new to the forum and so far I have found the info and expertise of the members to be of great valve so---a question. How do you inspect a P08 to assure that all parts are matched prior to purchasing it? Do you completely disassemble the gun in the owner's presence or what? How many parts are stamped? would one broken and replaced small part make it a shooter?
edalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2002, 07:52 AM   #2
Roadkill
User

Any part big enough to have the last two numbers of the sn will be marked. This does not include small springs, ect. This includes the magazine(s)and in the best cases the grips also. The dollar amount drives the disassembly. If you are standing at a gun show table three deep and its a $600 gun sold as matching then examination isn't an option. If its a $1500 gun the examination is a must. Another factor is the seller. Some will not allow disassembly for obvious reasons - small parts, breakage, inexperience, ect. Others, in fact a whole lot of them, don't know how to take one apart and don't know if its matching or not. And then get real upset if you tell them what they don't want to hear. Make your mind up what you want to buy and how much. Broadly based, there are shooters - generally non matching, reblued, or matching non refinished (includes imports) or combinations of all - that, depending on models, are in the $450-$600 range. Collectors require careful and complete examination in a quiet place with good light and a 10x glass. Again, the $ drives the situation. The most important factor is you as an informed buyer knowing what to look for.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2002, 11:00 AM   #3
Thor
User

Dont forget to look at the internal parts as well, the hold open device and the firing pin should have the same numbers. Look for numbers on parts that are nicely done, not overly large, not tilted, and the same font as the rest of the gun. Be overly suspicous of matching magazines, there just arent too many of those out there that are correct, MANY have had the old number ground off and poorly restamped. As RK mentione, if you are only paying $500 or less for the gun and it is in good shape, chances are it has some mismatched or renumbered parts, but at that price I dont think it is a bad thing.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote