LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-16-2002, 08:45 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Post Same 1916 Erfurt, Different Problem

Another question pertaining to the 1916 Erfurt just came up. I have not had it very long, and was giving it a thorough examination today, when I observed the almost microscopic print on the bottom of the barrel. At first I mistook it for a pitted area, but there are no other pits on the gun, so I checked it out with my magnifier and was shocked to make out the letters "EROV'S" prededed by another letter which may be an L or a C, or your guess is as good as mine. There are also other marks following these which are too difficult to make out. Can this be an import mark on a WWI weapon? My 1917 import is only stamped "Germany," and this one is not. What have I got here?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2002, 09:30 PM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Angry

Aaron, there is an outfit called LEROY'S Big Valley Gunworks in Montana that imports guns, primarily from Canada. If I squint my eyes, I can read LEROY'S. You might ask if he imported it. I'm not sure he would cooperate.

The Canadian Gov't recently outlawed private possession of any pistol with a barrel less than 105mm. Lugers are 100mm. Canadians are, or were, dumping both guns and parts to the US. [img]frown.gif[/img]
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2002, 10:50 PM   #3
Aaron
Banned

It seems you have explained how a WWI Luger ends up with a modern importer stamp. Many thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can locate Leroy's and ask them about it.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2002, 09:40 AM   #4
kidvett
User

Arrow

Precisions on Canadian Gun Laws. Yes 4 inch LUGERS ( 101-102mm bbl ) are prohibited in Canada. Grandfatering do exist: Guns previously registered to the reference date ( 14 Fb 95 ) can still be owned, traded and sold to grandfathered collectors ( individuals having guns w/ less than 105mm bbl registered before the reference date).

Firearms classification is complex around here. A particular weapon ( prohibited or restricted class )CAN BE LEGALLY POSSESSED by the collector with the APPROPRIATE CLASS PERMIT.

So in spite of those restrictions, LUGERS can still be possessed, shot and enjoyed by COLLECTORS.....to my happiness [img]smile.gif[/img]

kidvett [img]wink.gif[/img]
kidvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2002, 09:48 AM   #5
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Wink

kidvette, thanks for the correction in Canadian Laws. That being the case, why are so many being sold either wholly or in parts to the US? Is it only for the USD? [img]confused.gif[/img]
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2002, 04:18 PM   #6
kidvett
User

Unhappy

Frank, you wont like my answer but it's SAD BUT TRUE [img]frown.gif[/img]

A lot of people, some of them calling themselves collectors, are just there to make a fast profit...

Here's the case: a Matching S/42, BYF or DWM ( 4 inch prohibited ) can be bought for $350-500CDN and sold in the US for $$$...you know the market....

Make the cash conversion and there you have it...A FAST PROFIT...

THE SAD THING is that a prohibited handgun CANNOT BE IMPORTED IN CANADA and that includes ALL 4 INCH LUGERS....so it's very sad for collectors like me to see those guys rushing them out of the country to make fast $$$. Other collectors down here share my point of view......

My LUGER collection covers the WWII era, all 4 inch guns....

kidvett [img]frown.gif[/img]
kidvett is offline   Reply With Quote