LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-14-2002, 10:20 PM   #1
Double T
User

Post Question on Ammo

Digging around in a box of gun stuff that I hadn't ventured into before, I found a box of SUPER VEL ammo, 9mm Luger, Police, 90 gr. JHP.

It is in a yellow box with red and black lettering. I notice a price tag of $7.45 so it must have some age on it.

Is this stuff good for the DWM Lugers such as I've been asking about on the forum? Is old ammo safe (for me and the gun) to fire?

Thanks,
Ron
Double T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2002, 10:40 PM   #2
kidvett
User

Talking

That SUPER VEL Ammo was developed in the 70's for POLICE use. SUPER VEL pionnered the use of high speed hollow points for defensive purposes.

The load you have has an advertized velocity of 1400+ fps....

It will probably give you JAMS because of the LIGHT BULLET WEIGHT that will not give enough momentum to the toggle action to operate correctly.

This ammo is also HIGH PRESSURE....

I'd shoot this stuff in a different pistol [img]cool.gif[/img]

kidvett
kidvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2002, 10:50 PM   #3
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Double T,

In my opinion, why even bother? Get rid of it. Good 9mm ammo is so cheap that messing around with ancient unknown ammo is pointless. I use the cheap Walmart Winchester target ammo sold in 100 round bulk boxes for about $11. This is the cheapest ammo I know of and I've never, ever had a feeding problem, plus it is pretty darned accurate. I can consistently hit tin cans, freehand, at 50 ft., and if I lean against a support, I can make those cans dance well past 100 ft. Can't wait to try out the 1910 shooter. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2002, 12:25 AM   #4

Double T,

You must have really struck it big at some estate sale.

That ammo may be worth something to an ammo collector. Super Vel was the first of the really hot 9 mm cartridges and they have been out of business for maybe 20+ years. Take it with you to a big gun show and ask around.
Unread 06-15-2002, 07:24 AM   #5
Double T
User

I did pick up a pretty good lot of stuff at the sale... nearly all of what I've talked about on here is from the one buy. I haven't mentioned the twenty some-odd other guns that were involved in the transaction. One is an original AMP Pasadena model 180 .44 AutoMag, never been fired.
This puppy is sn A004xx from the very first run at the Pasadena facility... in the original box with all paperwork, three mags, tool kit, even the oil bottle.. looking for some big bucks from it. Several long guns.. A-5 Belgium made in 1938, brand new Steyr 7mm-08, Remington 700 BDL .300 WinMag, a beautiful .30 U.S. Carbine that isn't for sale, Super Black Hawk .44 mag with hunting scope, a couple of old Walther pocket pistols.. I could go on for a while.

There were two lots and I only had enough money at the time to pick up one of them. The other is still sitting there. It has about the same amount of guns.. more German stuff, and another .44 Automag, several large ammo boxes full of stuff I've never heard of, and lots of paraphernalia. I'm about a thousand short of getting it right now... thats why I'm trying so desparately to move another gun or two.

Any bankers out there...
Double T is offline   Reply With Quote