LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #21
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Finish and wear pattern look good to me (slight holster wear at muzzle and on the side plate 'island').

They are very nice guns to shoot, but if you have doubts, let a good gun smith have a look at it and give his ok before attempting to fire it.

It will not blow up, but you may damage small parts that are numbered to the gun, or chip the grips, that would be a pity.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
cnv2855
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
Finish and wear pattern look good to me (slight holster wear at muzzle and on the side plate 'island').

They are very nice guns to shoot, but if you have doubts, let a good gun smith have a look at it and give his ok before attempting to fire it.

It will not blow up, but you may damage small parts that are numbered to the gun, or chip the grips, that would be a pity.

I'm having a hard time comprehending how this weapon is devalued by up to 80% just because it was marked with an import stamp and re-sold commercially in the 70s. It was made at the same time, with the same materials, in the same fashion, and served in the same war as other P08s that are worth $2000+, yet because it was stamped with an import stamp it loses $1400+ in value. It's unlikely that this gun was re-finished, although it's possible.

I understand collectors can be finicky, but I'm just having a hard time understanding that logic. That's even less than the Interarms/Mauser reproduction that were made in the 70's are worth, and this weapon was made in 1941, and has all matching serials (besides magazines).
cnv2855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #23
cnv2855
User

Then I've just learned that my mom bought this thing from a local gunshow for $4,000, as a birthday present to my dad.

So she basically got scammed by some scumbag *******.
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #24
jamese
User

I like the guys that come to Luger -U ask questions........and when they get answers they dont want to hear, they get mad at those who shared info..........

jim
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #25
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Ouch, although I'm convinced that this pistol could bring a good price at the right time and place, it will take some time to become a $4000 gun.

If it makes you feel any better, I also question the devaluation caused by markings that are required by law and will become part of the gun's history anyway.

Try to enjoy the gun for what it is: A real, original WW2 pistol with an interesting history that was a gift from your mom to your dad. Besides it will go up in value, not down.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #26
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Nick, I'm having a hard time comprehending how this weapon is devalued by up to 80% just because it was marked with an import stamp and re-sold commercially in the 70s.

That's just the way it is. Top Luger collectors the World over prefer their guns to be original in all respects. There are those of us who accept less than pistols right off the production line because of the cost factor but ideally most people try to collect as close to the end of the production line as possible.
Any marking that is not German such as the import stamp... completely throws it out of most collectors line of interest. This might not always be true as many guns become more and more scarce but right now it is. There are many guns available without import stamps and most collectors..if they have a choice... will always pick the one without. And pay more money for it.
Like Vlim says..enjoy it for the story and the memories.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #27
cnv2855
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamese View Post
I like the guys that come to Luger -U ask questions........and when they get answers they dont want to hear, they get mad at those who shared info..........

jim
I'm not mad at anyone here, don't know where you would get that impression. I am mad at whoever sold this pistol to her though.

And it has nothing to do with the money. A few thousand dollars is inconsequential to me, but I am disappointed to have to tell her that the gun she spent her hard earned money on; as a gift, is essentially worthless and that she was ripped off.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Lugers, but I can appreciate that there are those that love them.

So my parents want me to keep this gun, because they are under the impression that it's worth... a lot, when it's simply not. I'd rather just take it out, shoot it, mess around with it... but at the moment, it doesn't seem like it deserves a spot in my safe. This puts me in a quandry because I'm expected to keep it and treasure it (and not shoot it ). I would never sell a gift that was given to me, like I said... I could care less if this thing was worth $1,000 or $10,000... it's just that if it was worth more, I'd be more motivated to keep it in my safe for the next 20 years and not bring it to the range.

I have other pistols and rifles worth much more than this weapon and I take them to the range. I just hate burning space and keeping a collector's item that isn't even a collector's item.

So basically it boils down to me having a "shooter" but not being able to shoot it.

I mean the gun isn't for sell and probably won't be... ever. But It'd be more enjoyable holding on to something that may be worth a lot more in the future, rather than a gun that isn't worth anything now and probably won't be in the future. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's the best I can put it into words.

Maybe I can get rid of this one, get a real one... and just tell them that it's the same one.
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #28
cnv2855
User

Can you guys tell if it has been reblued?
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #29
fred p
User

you don't have to tell her about the value or lack thereof. keep it as a family heirloom and enjoy it as such. Years down the road you can tell your grand children about how their great gramma got this for their great grampa way back when. No one has to know the cost or the value. That's the beauty of heirlooms....
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #30
fred p
User

BTW it doesn't look re-blued to me but I am not an expert.
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #31
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnv2855 View Post
...but I am disappointed to have to tell her that the gun she spent her hard earned money on; as a gift, is essentially worthless and that she was ripped off.
Then don't. It will remain a priceless gift and an expression of their love. Why spoil their memories?

Quote:
Maybe I can get rid of this one, get a real one... and just tell them that it's the same one.
That should work.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #32
cnv2855
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred p View Post
you don't have to tell her about the value or lack thereof. keep it as a family heirloom and enjoy it as such. Years down the road you can tell your grand children about how their great gramma got this for their great grampa way back when. No one has to know the cost or the value. That's the beauty of heirlooms....

But it's not an heirloom. She bought it a couple years ago at a local gunshow, and why would I keep something around that reminds me that people are *******s and take advantage of my mother's kindness and naivety? Not like this thing was taken back from Germany during WW2 by my grandfather.

When I look at it, I basically see... "mom got scammed" written all over it.

I'm the polar opposite of her, I do a lot of research before I buy anything. But she's the kind of person who keeps the people who run infomercials and **** in business, unfortunately.
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #33
cnv2855
User

http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/di...mnum=9220508.0

This gun is half as old, has no WW2 history, was made in peacetime during the 70s, and is worth twice as much as this 41/42?

Quote:
I haven't seen any WWII Luger, of any description, sell for less than a couple of thousand dollars, these last few years - with some going for several thousands.

Even a 1970's-era Interarms import beater will cost at least $1K.

I don't even recognize those junk Stoeger .22's from the 70's as Lugers, BTW - but even they're going for $500.
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #34
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Nick, As a father and grandfather, allow me to give you some gray haired advice. This Luger is valuable because your parents value it. Because it doesn't appeal to the specialized tastes of Luger collectors, it is not worthless. One of my most cherished possessions is a pair of cheap brass candlesticks, repaired several times, that belonged to my grandmother. I hope that, one day, you will appreciate this gun's true value. All the best, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #35
snipershot1944
User

Think of it this way. I've been collecting for 40 years and if I see a luger with import marks at a gun show, I won't allow it in the house. They have no collector value to me. Actually the same is true if it is mismatched, refinished, or does not have at least one matching mag. I'm that picky.

But.....................if my mom bought it for my dad, it becomes a family piece, and priceless. It gets put away for the family. That applies to every family gun, no matter what the fair market value is.
snipershot1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #36
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Is it possible that Mom's memory could be off by one zero?

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #37
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

"This gun is half as old, has no WW2 history, was made in peacetime during the 70s, and is worth twice as much as this 41/42?"...

The answer is yes. The post war Mauser / Interarms gun appeals to collectors of that type of Luger. They will pay that much.

The one you referred to is likely very close to the exact condition it left the Mauser factory in. That is what appeals to Luger collectors.

There are also collectors that have begun to specialize in Lugers that were reworked by the DDR - they are referred to as VoPo Lugers because they were carried by the Volks Polizei in East Germany. They are more valuable to those collectors.

Buyers establish the market value of these things. Conditions change constantly. Part of my tuition at Luger University has been spent on the excellent (if expensive) reference books that are available. Even with these and the background I have gotten here, I still make mistakes - but only make them one time.

Marc
Unread 09-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #38
cnv2855
User

So a 41/42 P08 imported by Interarms that has original finish is worth $600-800.

A 41/42 P08 imported by Interarms that has been reblued is worth $600-800?
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:58 AM   #39
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Right now, yes. The curent climate is that an import is an import. They are all lumped into the same class.
You might ask a little more for a gun with original finish, but you are still trying to sell a "shooter" among the thousands of "shooters" which were imported into the country in the last decades. You may get your price, you may not.
Would you buy a 10-15 year old used car because it has original paint over one that has been repainted? You may if you are hedging that it will be worth something years from now but most buyers, (the market) would take the repainted car, thus making it more "valuable" as a daily driver. As mentioned above, VoPo Lugers are coming into their own as collector's items but it will be years if ever before nuances like "original" finish make a difference in the sales price.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #40
apis mellifera
User

I know you said it's not for sale, so I'll offer you $5000 for it. Hopefully that will make it worth something to you and you can tell your mom that you turned down a ridiculous offer.

Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Therefore you have a $4000 Luger. As long as you don't try to sell it off, it's worth $4000 - your mom proved that.
apis mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote