LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #41
whcoyote
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I'll bet no bids...starting price [$2100] is too high...

I don't like this one...too polished...too bright...too decorative...the other was more industrial...
S/42 with Swiss grips??
whcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #42
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Not Swiss. Italian repros. Not at all unusual to be found on a totally reworked Luger. If you are going to make it "pretty" then why not put nice grips on it.
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #43
mltyplx
New User

I am a new member of your forum and look forward to learning more about one of the most seductively beautiful pistols ever made.

Just some additional information on this Luger; although the barrel is marked kal 7.65, it's actually been rebored to 9 MM. And, while I realize I may have overpaid for it, there are times when you see something you just have to have. You know?? The way I looked at it also was I probably would have had to pay around this price for a Stoeger shooter, and this one was just so much prettier. :+)

Just so I understand though, the consensus of you all is that this pistol was recently assembled from all blank parts which had then been given that 11 serial number, along with all those individual proof marks? If so, they did a really thorough job, plus they did the magazine base as well. Maybe that explains why I haven't been able to find a match for the alphabetic character shown there? Anyway, you can't imagine what a surrealistic experience it's been to stumble across this discussion of my new Luger. If there's any more I can tell you, just let me know.
mltyplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #44
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltyplx View Post
Just some additional information on this Luger; although the barrel is marked kal 7.65, it's actually been rebored to 9 MM...
Just so I understand though, the consensus of you all is that this pistol was recently assembled from all blank parts which had then been given that 11 serial number, along with all those individual proof marks? If so, they did a really thorough job, plus they did the magazine base as well...If there's any more I can tell you, just let me know.
mltplyx -

Pics of any and all markings would be appreciated. I think I'm probably the only one here who thinks the toggle (and maybe other) markings are CNC or pantograph milled...Pics of the letters/numbers will be very informative...

Others here will chirp in with areas of interest, too...

I liked it...but too much for my wallet...

...And Welcome! to the Forum!!!
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #45
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Rich, I can't speak for the others, but I don't believe anyone would go to the trouble of faking numbers on a nickel plated parts gun. Whats the point? Best regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #46
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
Hi Rich, I can't speak for the others, but I don't believe anyone would go to the trouble of faking numbers on a nickel plated parts gun. Whats the point? Best regards, Norm
Force matching, so all parts are the same number, then plate...You couldn't cut the letters/numbers after plating; it would flake off...

Best reason I can give is "proof of concept"...

Of course, you're probably right...I'm always counting the rainy days, never the sunny ones...

Price is not way out of line then, if as you say, numbers are all matching...

A good deal, IMHO!!!
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #47
alvin
User

Off topic a little bit. Please forgive me.

This is better business than working on pistols. I bet it's very profitable:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=169350037
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #48
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

You would be surprised what gets built out there for any number of reasons. A skilled home craftsman will try anything to make a pistol "special" and sometimes, to see who he can fool.
I recently inspected three Lugers a local had for sale. ALL THREE had been very skillfully force matched, leading me to believe the seller himself was the dubious creator of this unique collection. I didn't say anything, just passed on the deal
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #49
mltyplx
New User

Postino,

Thanks for your welcome to the forum. I'll get some additional pics out here for you, but probably not 'til the WE. Assuming, of course, I can figure out how to do it. Right now I'm looking for some different grips. Not sure if I want something black or something in an ivory or stag type grip. I saw some really nice ones yesterday, but they want $250-350 for them.

Tonight I'm hoping to disassemble it for the first time. But just to clarify, the parts all do show the serial number of 11, including the base of the magazine. And that is the serial number,
(11) not just the last two digits of the serial number. It would sure be nice if there was some definitive way to pin down exactly how this particular gun came into being.

Anyway, I appreciate your interest in my new Luger. It was also very nice to see at least one other person out here who felt I might not have overpaid for the gun. :+) Also good to see another "Norm" out here too.
mltyplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #50
alvin
User

Mismatching parts' impact on gun price tag is obvious. Most of time, it's functional related. If a mismatched gun does not work well, people won't feel surprised. Surfacial finish is not that obvious from functional point of view, at least for newbie, it's not obvious -- Back a while ago, when I was new on this, it was not obvious to me, and I did not see why original finish being important from functional point of view.....

Gradually, I feel the % mentioned in BB's actually using surfacial finish to measure the overall condition of a gun. For a balanced gun, 98% is not only 98% blue left, its parts are 98% new, bore is 98%, of course all matching. A 80% gun's parts are also 80%, may have minor replaced parts (like springs, screws, etc). So on and so forth..... In this context, % is used to measure a gun's overall condition, not only a little bit surfacial Fe3O4.

Sorry, off topic again...
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote