LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #61
AngelKing
User

i know a ww2 vet that brought back alot of stuff. i have a pic of a luger that he took off an officer outside of frankfurt in 1945. it was made in 1913 and it is nickel plated. he said alot of german officers carried thier own personal sidearms. he also has a ppk that he found on a uniform that was in a house. i would post the pic but my photobucket account doesn't work right now. he also has two swords, some flags, 13 iron crosses, a carcano, and a few helmets but he gave them to his kids. he also has a flask that has a swasitka on it that he still keeps his homemade scnhapps in.
AngelKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #62
crc
User

I'll bet it wasn't nickel plated when he got it. Don't use photobucket to post the picture go to the upper right hand corner of the lugar forum page to "upload photo" and post it directly on the luger forum. Regards Randy
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #63
AngelKing
User

i tried it and it said it was too big. he said it was plated when he took it. it might be chrome i'm not sure. he wouldn't lie to me.
AngelKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 01:25 AM   #64
Went Blakely
User

Sounds interesting, cant wait for photos. Put them up on photobucket then send me the link, and i can convert them and upload them to the forum if you like?
Unread 06-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #65
Went Blakely
User

Here we go, does look Nickel, rather than chrome
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #66
crc
User

Yep, another plated luger. No German soldier let alone officer would have a plated luger. It was not plated at the factory, but most likely plated in post war Europe or the US. Regards, Randy
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #67
m1903a3
User

My dad was in the infantry in the Pacific theater for the entire war. His introduction came with the sinking of his troopship near Guadalcanal in February 42, and he was practicing for the invasion of the Japanese home islands when they finally surrendered.

When I was a kid, the first two guns I learned to shoot had both been used to shoot my father. The first was a Nambu pistol he got off the body of a Japanese major near Munda Field. Dad's wound was just a scratch, barely enough for the Purple Heart, but he shot the major with his Thompson, getting both the Nambu and a sword. The second was a Type 99 rifle he got in the Phillipines. That put him in a field hospital and he earned a second Purple Heart, but not a trip home. His sergeant shot the soldier with the rifle, picked it up and gave it to Dad.
When the war ended they had a short layover occupying Japan then shipped home. He was an officer, so he was able to ship both the guns, plus ammunition, the sword and some other souvinier, back to the states. He tried to ship his Thompson back, but it was confiscated.

I still have the sword, a book the major was carrying, a battle flag, and the Type 99's bayonet. Dad stayed in the military, and gave both the Nambu and the rifle to his former sergeant when we were shipped overseas to Japan in '59. He did keep his 1911a1 the whole time, and I still have that.

Dad never said anything about how he came to have the two guns, or much else about the war. It was the sergeant who told me where they came from some years later when he was visiting us.

<Official Luger content:>
My mother-in-law has a unit marked 1916 dated DWM P08 brought back from the ETO by my father-in-law. Since he was part of the 8th Air Force in England, we can only assume he traded for it or bought it.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
m1903a3 is offline   Reply With Quote