LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

This is an old story, and again I'd like to say that really vintage guns should NEVER be refinished, modified, and fired, because it might ruin any value they had as a collectible firearm; then it's just part of a personal choice.
IMHO.
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
johnii
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
Being more or less the resident grump, I'll say it.

You come across like you are about 15 years old.

Some of your other posts support this as well.

Repeating semi related rants from various angles in the same thread make my head hurt and serve no real purpose.

A lot of us have been around the block a time or twice and appreciate a good story.
Not so much disjointed ramblings.
Point taken and I appreciate your honesty.
johnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
johnii
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronen View Post
Fire away!
It's your guns.
If you break a part on an all matching numbers gun and or ruin a collectible it's all you and your dime.
I don't think any of my matching parts are going to break anytime soon with firing.

The joy of owning a Luger P-08 (to me) is the firing. They are extremely accurate compared to the Beretta M-9 in 9mm as well as the Hi Power Browning in 9mm as well as the Czech 75-B or Czechoslovkian before the "B" model of CZ 75.

I like 9mm autos and I've had quiet a few since the 1970's. Even the SW 59 and 39.

My opinion is shooting a P-08 is more fun than shooting most other 9mm semi autos made today or yesteryear. There is another 9mm I have that I enjoy, the SIG P210. I enjoy the Hi Power and the P-38s along with the CZ-75 and Beretta M-9.

On the other hand, I'd like to own and collect more P-08s at this time that I would not fire because I already have enough firing P-08s and others to feel fine shooting just them.

My next endeavor might not be an S/42. It might be a .30 Luger P-08 to shoot a couple of times and put away!

I think you are swaying me to really dive into some rare P-08s but at least I am admitting it now.
Unread 12-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
phillyny
User

Default Response

As the initiator of this thread, I guess I'll jump in. I get notified every time someone posts to this thread, so out of curiosity, I've been lurking and following along!

Anyway, the original pistol was sold shortly after I posted to this site by a long-time member. He was very happy with the price and once he received the pistol, the overall condition. Me and my friend were very pleased that it went to a good "home." The member knowledge and helpfulness on this site have been superb. Many thanks to all that assisted.

I didn't shoot this P08 but I have shot a friends P08 many times. I'm dumbfounded by the accuracy. I'm sure it's a result of the fixed barrel and high quality manufacture. I suppose this may have been a detraction for this weapon in war use since the toggle system, while being accurate must very very tough to keep clean in battlefield conditions. I shoot a Glock 17 in IDPA competition and although not pretty or accurate, the thing is as reliable as a hammer.

I shoot at least once a week and have quite a few semi-auto and revolvers. The only gun that I own that comes close to the P08 in accuracy are my H&K USP's. My Beretta 92FS and Browning Hi-Power are nice guns but are nowhere near the accuracy of the P08. Like Johnii, I shoot pretty much everything I have but I do collect long guns (Winchester 1890's). I shoot those on special occasions but there is little chance of breakage with .22 WRF's and for the most part, they are safe queens.
phillyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #25
SteveM
User

Hi Phil,

Thanks again for the Banner. Honest piece, more pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	38377  

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	38378  

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	38379  

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	38380  

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	38381  

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	38382  

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	38383  

Name:	IMG_1199.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	38384  

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	38385  

SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to SteveM for your post:
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
johnii
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyny View Post
I have a P08 that I need some help identifying and an opinion as to price. This came from a friend of mine who's Dad was stationed in Germany for a time immediately following WWII.

The pictures would suggest that what he has is a "Mauser 2 Digit Date" Luger and given the shape it's in, I'm guessing might fetch between $1500-$2200. Did I get the identification correct? It also looks like the holster may have been bought at the PX? Is it American or German? The pistol has 1 matching magazine and one aftermarket magazine with an aluminum base and a stamping "MADE IN DENMARK".

All the components are matching numbers. It has some bluing wear from the holster but the chamber and barrel internals look practically new. This is the first anyone has seen this gun since WWII Germany!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You say all matching components. Does this also mean the firing pin? Did you take it all apart to see all matching? The Germans did this with all parts stamping serial numbers. Take it all apart and see if the serial numbers go all the way down to separation of parts. If you find a mismatch with the firing pin then you have a mismatch according to Luger P-08 standards here and elsewhere.
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
johnii
User

PS.

Tell me about the front sight picture with the Eagle. I am unfamiliar with that sort of thing since witness marks the Germans did for the front sight.
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
johnii
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Hi Phil,

Thanks again for the Banner. Honest piece, more pics below.
The stamp on the front sight from the barrel. It has an eagle.

Why?
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
johnii
User

I know why.

No person on this forum saw it or recognized it.

No person on this forum is capable of identification.

I posed a reasonable question here with my 1936 and aside from saying it's reblued with a poor holster I have yet to receive a response to the mark ahead to the serial number:

I think I've depleted all information from this forum. No one here can answer concerning a simple P-08 MAUSER S/42 from 1936.

I think this forum is full of a lot of people who really know nothing.

They all like Luger P-08s but they don't have the answers.
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #30
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Sorry that we are not up to your standards. Good luck elsewhere.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #31
SteveM
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnii View Post
I know why.

No person on this forum saw it or recognized it.

No person on this forum is capable of identification.

I posed a reasonable question here with my 1936 and aside from saying it's reblued with a poor holster I have yet to receive a response to the mark ahead to the serial number:

I think I've depleted all information from this forum. No one here can answer concerning a simple P-08 MAUSER S/42 from 1936.

Lordy, you are very impatient. You post three times; 2:27, 2:29, and at 2:31 and now you saying no one on this board knows anything about lugers. Take a chill pill and come back when you can post some civilized and readable questions. Maybe buy a few books from the authors that frequent this board.

As to the E/N on the front sight that is a commercial proof mark that is found on Mauser Banners.

As to the mark on your 1936 it looks like an X but can't tell for sure from the pic. If it is an X, it is a Russian capture and went through an arsenal re-work postwar.
The following 4 members says Thank You to SteveM for your post:
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #32
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

"I think I've depleted all information from this forum. No one here can answer concerning a simple P-08 MAUSER S/42 from 1936.

"

All right.

That's enough.

Now my Gunnery Sergeant is kicking in. Ignorance can be cured, but "stoopid" is forever.

You're bad mouthin' the most knowledgeable people on the friggin planet when it comes to the Luger. And all this when you insult our intelligence by hawking a fairy tale about a Polish Cavalryman named (wait for it...) Brown with some BS about somebody shooting somebody and krauts being trained to shoot the P08 at (Jeezus wept!) 500 yds!

I'm too damned old and tired to put up with people peeing down my leg and telling me it's rain.

You have NO credence with me and, to keep the "Gunny" in check and my blood pressure down I will henceforth ignore any thread or post you may place here.

I bid you good day; and don't forget to take your meds.

Gunny John
GySgt1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to GySgt1811 for your post:
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
As to the mark on your 1936 it looks like an X but can't tell for sure from the pic. If it is an X, it is a Russian capture and went through an arsenal re-work postwar.
Steve, I think he may have been referring to the pic of the Banner Mauser in the latest set posted. The very front of the sight block appears to have a very faintly stamped eagle on it. Or am I having an attack of pareidolia?

D.P.
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #34
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
The very front of the sight block appears to have a very faintly stamped eagle on it. Or am I having an attack of pareidolia?

D.P.
No, your teeth are OK...It's an upside-down straight-armed eagle...One of the more cartoonish ones...Funny place for it...I'd say red flag time!
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #35
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnii View Post
I don't own German Police Lugers. I own S/42 Soldier sidearms under the Third Reich. I own no Commercial or other. I won't own Swiss or Navy or some other. I will only own a true sidearm issued to the Third Reich. I am not a "collector" of rare Swiss or Navy Lugers. I am a Soldier retired and e.
Well, I changed my mind, and quit arguing with this guy. He's just trouble IMHO.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
SteveM
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Steve, I think he may have been referring to the pic of the Banner Mauser in the latest set posted. The very front of the sight block appears to have a very faintly stamped eagle on it. Or am I having an attack of pareidolia?

D.P.
Your ok, it is an E/N on the front of the sight block. You find 'em on Banner Commercial and Police models.
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #37
SteveM
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
No, your teeth are OK...It's an upside-down straight-armed eagle...One of the more cartoonish ones...Funny place for it...I'd say red flag time!
No red flags for the eagle, perfctly normal.
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #38
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
No red flags for the eagle, perfctly normal.
I'm not convinced...This has been brought up before, but I don't recall the consensus of opinion on it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eagle.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	38398  

Unread 12-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #39
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Well, I changed my mind, and quit arguing with this guy. He's just trouble IMHO.
Your restraint has been admirable...
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #40
apis mellifera
User

I've been on this forum for a few years and I have noticed a clear pattern and profile for idiots like this last one on every forum I visit. Generally from post number one you can tell that they will soon flame out. They start out nice, then get weird, then get arrogant, and then finally throw a tantrum and get banned. One of my other interests is restoring and racing old cars (British) and I was once the sole moderator/admin of a forum related to such. Note "was". When the forum members aren't civilized, it completely strips the fun out of the hobby.

I just want to say thanks to the admins and moderators. You do a good job of establishing and being consistent with the rules. While I'm at it, thanks also to picture posters, guys that sell things, guys that tell the good stories, and the regulators that call out idiots. I come here to mostly gawk at Lugers, but also because it kind of reminds me of spending time with my departed Grandfather (no offense to the old-timers!) This forum is full of fellows that have mastered the fine (and dying) art of being a gentleman; just like both of my Grandfathers. Many thanks for that!
apis mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to apis mellifera for your post: