LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Closed Thread
Unread 12-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
rjbuckley
User

Default What attracts you to the luger?

Viewers,
I'm interested to know personal opinions. What is it about the german lugers of old? Is it the history? The unique design? Some personal connection? The reason I ask is because I can't see this particular gun as anything practicle to today's standards. In fact I'm not really confident that one can fire them on a constant basis, with any reliability. Perhaps Im wrong.

Please give me a lesson in value.

Thanks,
-rb
Unread 12-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hi,

You're wrong. They are very reliable, have won several world championships and it is actually more practicle as a target gun than as a military sidearm. Nonetheless, this design has (and still does) put other, later, designs to shame on a regular basis.

I put about a 100 rounds a week through my S/42 shooter. Hasn't failed me once, apart from the occasional ejector spring replacement.
Unread 12-19-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
davidkachel
User

Default Re: What attracts you to the luger?

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbuckley
Viewers,
I'm interested to know personal opinions. What is it about the german lugers of old? Is it the history? The unique design? Some personal connection? The reason I ask is because I can't see this particular gun as anything practicle to today's standards. In fact I'm not really confident that one can fire them on a constant basis, with any reliability. Perhaps Im wrong.

Please give me a lesson in value.

Thanks,
-rb
Like anything, it all comes down to opinion.
To me the Luger is the zenith of beauty in a handgun.
The perfect marriage of form and function.
I'm not a Luger collector. In fact I own only one.
But I own a lot of other guns, more than half of which I bought for their appearance first and functionality second, and the Luger is by far the most visually appealing of all (and they do function reliably, they just don't like a lot of dirt).
There are a lot of close seconds, but only close.

And the way current trends in handgun design and manufacture are going (lots of plastic and cost-cutting), nothing like it will ever appear again.

I don't care how reliable (I question this strongly) Glocks and all the other block-shaped modern handguns may be. They can't hold a candle to the beauty of many older weapons, especially the Luger.
Unread 12-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I think this is a personal thing. I have lots of "older" guns, I like the history associated with them (although for lugers I "prefer" the Weimar and earlier for the same reasons). when I was young, I read about lugers and they always fascinated me. On the other hand, I have always liked the Colt 1911 and 1911A1 variants, then in the army, I carried one for about 2/3rds of my career, so naturally I trust them more than I trust a Glock or other newer gun like a High Power

There are a post or two like these, although it might be several years old, and always a good thread to read.

Why do YOU like the luger?

Ed

It is obvious that HE is looking for just the right one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200581235935_pistl18b.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1378  

Unread 12-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
davidkachel
User

Now THAT'S a very disturbing picture! (Though I'm sure it would make a lot of our politicians happy.)
Unread 12-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
pipeman45
User

I fell in love with the Luger back in the early 60's. Didn't get around to buying one until the prices started going through the roof a few years ago. The things that attracted me to them were the history,and workmanship . They are a very elegant handgun that screams form=function. There will never be another handgun made this way.
Unread 12-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I wonder if you could calculate how much the parts in this photo would be worth today? Screws, grips, springs, fireing pins, bolts etc..Must be millions of dollars worth there..

For me it is many things but the history and variety is some of it. This pistol played a part in Military evolution in a unique era. As a Military historian I am most focused on the period when the Luger was accepted untill it's manufacture ceased.
I also collect Colt pocket auto's and as a pistol they are much the same as the Luger. Functional, designed well, work every time, beautiful bluing and wood. They practically fall apart with little effort, unlike say a c-96. BUT, they have very little Military history. Some were issued to General Officers of course but in general next to nothing compared with the Luger. As neat as they are they become boring compared with the history of the Luger. It's many variations are enough to keep me occupied for many more years to come!

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Curly1
User

The design is what attracted me, it is the Queen of my collection, beautiful eye candy, comforting when held and at the same time deadly, where my 1911A1a is the King, brute force wrapped in nobility.

Gary
Unread 12-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
davidkachel
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Curly1
The design is what attracted me, it is the Queen of my collection, beautiful eye candy, comforting when held and at the same time deadly, where my 1911A1a is the King, brute force wrapped in nobility.
Well put. Consider it stolen.
Unread 12-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
stefanosg
User

I am a bit of a history buff and an avid shooter. The Luger, for me, was a beautiful blending of the two. I hold the firearm and I wonder about who the original owner was. What happened to him and so many other questions. No other pistol seems to invoke so much curiosity and awe from the people who see it. I go to the range and I'll bring my Glock or my Witness to practice with. I almost always bring one of my Lugers with me as well. People turn a blind eye to my Glock, but when they see the Luger, its "Is that a real Luger?". I love sharing it and showing it to people, its like getting under the glass at the museum. Whatever the magic is, very few other pistols seem to generate that kind of enthusiasm.
Unread 12-20-2006, 12:47 AM   #11
DaveinTN
User

Great proportions, beautiful style, elegant appearance, and comfortable fit.

All the rest is commentary.

Dave in TN.
Unread 12-20-2006, 01:39 AM   #12
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

What Dave in TN said. I realized this when I was eight years old and had a 9/10 scale, detail-accurate Kruger cap gun.

Since I've owned a real Luger, while circumstances allowed I shot several hundred rounds a month with virtually no failures--proper magazines, ammunition, and technique assure this. Lugers, even those with badly pitted bores, are phenomenally accuate.

--Dwight
Unread 12-20-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
rjbuckley
User

Good responses!
Thanks. I'm on the mystique side of the house myself.
The design is incredible, the history profound.
I'm very excited to have on as a part of my collection.
My only fear is that I become addicted and do so before I have a chance to be as knowledgable as you folks are.

Thanks for all your input,
-rb
Unread 12-20-2006, 09:22 AM   #14
Dante Di Pietro Jr.
User

When I was 6 or 7 years old my father who was a gun dealer/collector had a room full of fine guns, parkers, winchesters, military guns of all types. I was drawn to an artillery luger that he let me hold any time I went into the gun room. I ignored all the others except the MG42 which I got into trouble with for setting it up when he was not there(no ammo). I was able to disassemble and assemble the artillery, just fell in love with it. 40 years later Im still hooked, History, workmanship and shooting are just gravy.
The memories of collecting with my Dad are priceless. Thanks for the question and thanks you guys for the lugerforum and thanks Al G. for inventing the internet!
Merry Christmas
Dante
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
Dan44
User

It's the ultimate movie "bad guy" gun.
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #16
davidkachel
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan44
It's the ultimate movie "bad guy" gun.
I disagree.
The Luger is the ultimate movie bad "spy" gun.
The ultimate movie bad "guy" gun is the 1903 Colt Pocket Hammer (.38 ACP); which of course I own.
Unread 12-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #17
Pappy
User

Default no wood grip panels...

Quote:
Originally posted by lugerholsterrepair
I wonder if you could calculate how much the parts in this photo would be worth today? Screws, grips, springs, fireing pins, bolts etc..Must be millions of dollars worth there..
Jerry Burney
Jerry, I notice that there are no wood grip panels in the photo. I wonder if this pile has been through a fire? First step before meltdown? Pappy
Life member NRA
Endowment member TSRA

O===[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Very happily retired; every night is a Friday night and every day is a Saturday; except for Sunday, and that's a day of rest!!!
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Pappy, look to the right, I see what looks like a huge pile of magazines. I was wondering if they had started to take some parts off, and...

I would say there are probably tens of millions of dollars of guns and parts there...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 12-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #19
Pappy
User

Yes and the pile seems to have an abundance of 'broomhandles'. Maybe the people hid their Lugers. I do see what appears to be a snaildrum magazine.
Interesting photo that makes me feel somewhat ill...Pappy
Life member NRA
Endowment member TSRA

Very happily retired; every night is a Friday night and every day is a Saturday; except for Sunday, and that's a day of rest!!!
Unread 12-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #20
Pappy
User

Default "Yankee Fist"

Quote:
Originally posted by Curly1
That's why the Germans called the M1911 the "Yankee Fist"...Pappy
Life member NRA
Endowment member TSRA

Closed Thread