LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-24-2001, 05:43 PM   #1
Ray
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Stawing

Gentlemen:

Once again I need advice.This is very much reminiscent of my early days collectig shotguns, I didn't have a clue. So here is the question for today.This afternoon I was at a gun show and picked up a Luger marked 1939 with 42 on the toggle. All of the serial numbers were matching; the proofs on the receiver were Mauser Military Proofs. However, under each of the first two symbols was stamped what appeared to be the number 655, may even have been 555. The six, or first number by the way, was a much lighter stamp. The magazine catch,takedown lever, thumb safety and trigger were not straw.The gentlemen selling the piece assured me that not all 42 marked Lugers of this vintage were strawed.While the gun is very nice looking I didn,t want to get that feeling three days latter that I should have had a cigarett after the aquisition.So what is the real story? Thanks for you help!

Unread 03-24-2001, 07:13 PM   #2
Bob Maloogalooga

Default Re: Stawing

I'm not sure how to answer your question, I'm not aware of a stawing procedure. You should talk to your brother, I understand that he has made some excellent deals.

Bob

Unread 03-24-2001, 07:17 PM   #3
Marvin
User

Ray,

All the 1939 Lugers were Salt Blued and no Straw. The change from Rust Blue with Straw parts to the Salt Blue happened in the mid-late 1937 time period. This was done for two reasons, cost and time. The Rust Bluing was a very time consuming effort and this in turn made the pistol more expensive. The Salt Blue would do the same as far as protection from rust is concerned. IT was not as "pretty", but was very funtional.

The Stamps you refer to did have the numbers "655" stamped under the Eagle. This is the number of the Government inspector who was responsible to the Heereswaffenamt for total quality of the parts and finally the completed pistol. Take a look at the "Techinical Information" section and then click on the "Markings" section. There is an article on the Waffenamt stamps.

Good Luck on the purchase, and if you do get it, please come back and let us know more info and we may be able to provide you with more detail.

Marvin

Unread 03-24-2001, 09:00 PM   #4
dm
User

1939 42 code lugers had no straw parts. Knowledge is valuable--becuase the gentleman is convinced it is an incorrect piece, offer him a sum of money commensurate with his confident understanding of strawed 1939's. A reblued luger would command around $400, and that should seem a reasonable offer to him.

dm