LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-21-2001, 08:05 PM   #1
Wolfgang Pfeifer
User

Default 1917 Artillery Red 9, chamber dated

I have the opportunity to purchase this Luger. All numbers match except the wood bottom mag. I think it is a 95-96% gun. I know little about the Red 9. I would appreciate some information about the Red 9 Lugers. I am relatively new to the complex hobby of collecting Lugers. Thank you very much. Regards, Wolfgang

Unread 03-22-2001, 09:35 PM   #2
tomheller

Default Re: 1917 Artillery Red 9, chamber dated

Wolf, My information on the so called "RED Nine" LPO8s is that when the first 60K 9mm brooms (C96s in Europe) were built by Mauser in 1916 for the Imperial army, they were not marked "9" on the grips. Much confunsion resulted in the trenches as the army had just received 50K c96s in 1915 in 7.63mm. Therefore, an instruction went out to field armour's to mark the grips of these early 9mm with the big red 9. Obviously some confusion resulted,as quite a few LPO8s were also marked, and perhaps anything else in 9mm. That's why the size of the 9s on these brooms under S/N 61K will vary greatly, and I have also owned some that were not marked at all. These were NOT FACTORY APPLIED.