LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-23-2001, 12:23 PM   #1
Roger Seymour

Default What to look for in Shooters

Maybe as a new guy, I can spark a little debate When shopping for a shooter what is the most important thing to consider? Bore, toggle mechanism, general wear and tear? Also which is "better" an early WWI DMW or 30's Mauser? It would seem the DMW would have fit and finish going for it, but it is 25 yrs older and alot of them went through two world wars. Do the later Mausers have the same attention to detail and craftmanship?

Unread 03-23-2001, 12:38 PM   #2
Ted
User

Default Re: What to look for in Shooters

Some of the DWMs have bad bores that were from Firing corrosive ammo, but even those sometimes will amaze you how accurate they are. I love the 30 Luger, ie, 1920 Commercial but if you want cheap ammo 9mm is way to go. The Mausers werent finished too badly expect the late war ones had a rougher finish, ie "byfs" (toggle marking). Erfurts have rougher finishs by and large. I would say if you just want a shooter the finish is as not as important as the mechanism and bore. I would sugguest getting a non matching gun that has a smooth mechanism. Save the matching guns for the Collector circuit! Ted

Unread 03-23-2001, 04:07 PM   #3
Aaron
Banned

I am convinced the metallurgy of the thirties was far better than it was in WWI, therefore I never fire the older guns.

Unread 03-23-2001, 04:56 PM   #4
Marvin
User

Roger,

I agree with what Ted and Aaron said about a shooter grade Luger. I tend to go for the 1936 to 1940 for some of the best quality in machining, fit, and overall finish. many of the import marked dip blued pistols that are mis-matched (usually the sideplate) make excellent shooters. With the mis-matched sideplate, sometimes they have to be "played" with to make sure they fire when the trigger is pulled, but they make nice pistols.

I do have a couple of import marked Lugers, one Ted has reworked and he has the other one now to bring them back to their original "appearance". When I bought them, I looked first at the overall general appearance, and the bore next. Then I looked to see if the numbers all matched. One of did and the other had 2 small parts with the number peened out, but you could hardly tell it.

I like the 9mmP better than the .30 Luger, but that is a person opinion which you need to decide on. Right now, you can get good buys on the .30 Commercial Lugers with matching numbers and in approx. 75-85% condition and a good bore. You can find a nice one in the $500-700 range. In the $700 range you can buy a real nice pistol. Ted is correct about the ammo cost with the 9mmP being less, but if you reload, the .30 Luger would be a good choice and a good shooter. I like the Military Lugers for their history and only if they could TALK! Good Luck on your search!

marvin