LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-22-2001, 05:38 PM   #1
Roger Seymour

Default Luger .22

Allow me to introduce myself. I am a retired Army Officer with a rewaken interest in handguns.(The kids are almost out of the house, so mom isn't so worried about Dad "waving guns around.") Like all Army guys, I grew up with the Colt .45 and wouldn't give mine up for anything. However, after watching the Luger episode of History of the Gun four times, I just have to have a Luger. I 've spent the last several months "getting smart" about Lugers. Needless to say, I now know just enough to be dangerous. What I do know is thanks to this forum and a couple of other interesting sites including Ralph Shattuck's. Thanks. Now to my question. I was surfing one of the gun auction sites, when I came across a "Stoeger .22 Luger" There was a picture of it and sure looked like a Luger. (with real bad grips.) Now I know Stoeger never make a .22 Luger or any Luger for that matter. So where did this thing come from and who manufactured it. Is this some cheap knock-off from 20 years ago or was there some offical tie between Mauser and another vendor? Thanks for listening.

Unread 03-22-2001, 05:57 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Luger .22

Welcome Roger to the Luger Forum, we hope you'll be a regular. Erma made the .22 "Luger" , but by all accounts it isn't up to Luger standards. You used to be able get a .22 conversion for a Luger, pictures of which can be found in some the great Luger books such as Charles Kenyon's Lugers At Random.

Photos of a couple of Erma's can been seen in our Owner;s Corner... check them out. Hopefully others will dive in and add a lot more info than I've been able to provide.

Unread 03-22-2001, 06:05 PM   #3
tom heller

Default Re: Luger .22

Rodger, Welcome aboard. The Stoeger firm actually purchased the rights to the LUGER trademark from the War Reparations Board after WW1. Prior to WW1, DWM had their own representative, Hans Tauscher, in the US selling their pistols and trying to interest us in the PO8 as a military weapon. After WW1 Stoeger won out (at least on the East coast) as the sole importer of surplus PO8s (and new ones after Mauser took over in 1930). I do have copies of the preWW1 Tauscher catalog, showing his full line of pistols & rifles (mostly Mauser) available for $10 each postpaid. Stoeger began producing its 22LR copy of the luger in the early 1970s. Not an exact copy, but more reliable than the Erma LA, full sized copy. For further info please see Pistol of the World by Hogg & Weeks page 235.

Unread 03-23-2001, 09:29 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Never owned a Stoeger .22 Luger myself but

I have shot many of them because I have been acquainted with several owners of these ERMA made .22 caliber luger look-a-likes, and they all share a common thread of malfunctionitis.

They are not a true locked toggle design, but rather just look like they are.

The finish wears off of them easily, and they were particularly fickle about what ammunition they would eat. Stoeger hoped to capitalize on the familiarity of design and the name of Luger, and as you can see they are no longer manufactured. The Ruger standard .22 caliber automatic DID manage to capitalize on the similarity of names and the grip shape and to their credit, they ARE still in production. I can't say I care much for Ruger's political views, but their firearms are generally reliable.

Except for the novelty of owning something out of the ordinary, I wouldn't own a Stoeger .22 Luger.

-just my $0.02

-John

Unread 03-23-2001, 09:41 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Roger - Welcome from another retired Amy guy.

May I invite you to visit the user profiles link at the top of the message board to read more about this group, and to create your own profile so we know a little more about you. I am sure you will enjoy this very knowledgable and friendly bunch on this forum. While we focus on the Luger here, you will find that this group is very informed on a wide variety of subjects... and contains some real craftsmen at Luger restoration.

-John

Unread 03-23-2001, 09:43 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default How about "ARMY" guy who didn't spell check before "POST Message" (EOM)

Unread 03-23-2001, 11:52 AM   #7
Roger Seymour

Default Re: How about "ARMY" guy who didn't spell check before "POST Message"

I was posting my profile when my system locked up. crashed to the blue screen.

Unread 03-23-2001, 12:04 PM   #8
Roger Seymour

Default Re: Never owned a Stoeger .22 Luger myself but

John, Thanks you confirmed my suspicions. I guess even an authorized distributor can play the knock off game. BTW I share yr views on Ruger: Great weapons - I have a Mark I with 12,000 rds through it, still shoots great. Too PC, who else would sell a semi-automatic carbine w/a four magazine, ie the M-44.

Unread 03-23-2001, 04:11 PM   #9
Aaron
Banned

Default Re: Never owned a Stoeger .22 Luger myself but

Surprised no one mentioned that the Erma/Stoeger "Lugers" have pot metal frames and barrels with a steel liner. Complete junk, little more than a Saturday night special.