LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
danielsand
User

Default Erfurt 1918

Hello all.

Let me introduce myself before asking questions. I am a vet, 58 years 'young', and I grew up in Europe. Both of my parents were in the military, and my earliest "toy" that I can remember, was an Artilery Luger, my Mom's war trophy. She sold it when we were about to move back stateside (and after my father's untimely demise).

I collect military firearms, and I shoot them all (I guess I am not a "real collector"!).

Since I was "parabellumless" (my mother ALWAYS called it "Parabellum") for most of my life, I naturally craved to get one, but my "collecting" took me in the different direction.

This past X-mas, a family friend showed up with a present! 1918 Erfurt in MINT condition, with two mags (one matched, one mismatched), and the original holster, with loading tool.

And now the question: My new Parabellum has all matching numbers, and a suffix M after serial #69XX. The grips are also stamped with the last two #s of the serial. Holster has BAXI on the inside of the flap (I researched, and I know what it means, and I also speak German), but I was not able to find out any more info about the pistol. It also has the crown with "RC" under it, so I learned that it was "arsenal reworked" probably after WW1.

I would like if somebody can shed a little more light on this piece? I am NOT concerned about the value, because it will NEVER be offered for sale, as long as I am alive, but the month of manufacture, possible history (Shutzpolizei service after rework?), would be nice. Since it has "RC", I guess it is a rework, but the inside of the frame is "in the white", so I assume it was not reblued. It does have normal holster wear (side plate, muzzle, right side rail, etc.) but it's in remarkable condition considering the age. Finish is easy 95+%, but the strawing is fading.

It functions flawlessly, and it has the honorable place on my nightstand!

Any info would be grately appreciated.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Photos will help us determine it's use as a police gun, or not. Include and markings on the grip straps as well.
A very nice story and welcome aboard!
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,523 Times in 940 Posts

Will need photos to help you . The Crown RC is not a rework stamp. It was a mark applied at time of manufacture for a part that wasn't quite up to specs but still safe. Erfurt made heavy use of this mark. Do all the interior numbers match? Bill
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
danielsand
User

Thank you gentlemen.

No pics. I don't have a camera, and my Android pics would not do (I assume?). ALL internal parts have last two digits of the serial #. There are no stamps on the front or back strap. Loading tool has the waffenamt stamp as well.

So I was missinformed about the "RC"! It has RC stamp in two places. One on the right side of the "tunning fork", right above the first crown mark (from left to right). There are three proof marks with a crown, and the fourth one (closest to the barrel) is an eagle. The second "RC" is stamped on the right side of the bolt. On the left side of the bolt is the eagle stamp (both visible without disassembly).

One magazine has the wood bottom with matching numbers to the gun, but the right side "button" broke off, and it's missing.

Non matching mag has the aluminum bottom, three digit serial, under the serial is what looks like scripted letter "Y", under that is a "+" sign, and the last on the bottom is an eagle with number 63. Can you gents shed some light on that mag (WW2 perhaps)?

Grips are nice and tight, with crisp checkering, and pretty dark from use and oil. Barrel has some pitting, but strong rifling and shiny. Shoots to the POA, and I put 50 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ through it. No malfunctions.

Thank you very much.

Edited to add:

P.S. I own 17 handguns, but I'm totally "ga-ga" over this piece!

Another edit!
I just discovered two more "RC" marks! One on the left side of the barrel, and one on the toggle! (my eyes are not what they used to be!)
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

welcome to the forum

If you mean can you upload your camera pictures to here, sure if you can figure it out should be able to send them to yourself to your computer and then crop or whatever and upload. Use plenty of light, most camera phones, unless old take decent pictures.

You can look in the new collector area for things to look for to have us help you

You can look in the FAQ and see pictures of a sear safety for police

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
danielsand
User

I thought that my phone camera would not show enough detail. Tomorrow, when the natural light is better, I'll snap a few, and upload them.
Thanks
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #7
Tony Min
User

Your phone would show more detail than we are seeing now.
Nice story and it sounds like a nice gun. Probably worth at least $1200
Nice Christmas present.
I have a lot of military pistols and rifles. But my Luger is among my favorites.
Tony Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

+1 on the phone pics. I lost mine earlier this month, and its replacement has a 13 megapixel camera--almost three times the detail can be captured with this compared to my old Canon G5 (5.0 mpx)! Set your phone camera to the close-up setting, make sure the white balance is for the lighting used, and steady the shot by either holding it firmly against something firm, or prop the camera and use the timer to click the shutter to eliminate operator jiggle. Most shots are ruined by either camera motion or improper focus. Get in as close as you can, still in focus, and use the zoom if you need to get tighter. Natural light is good, but make sure it's diffuse--overcast, or in the shade. We await the results of this enterprise! ...And welcome to the forum.
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
danielsand
User

OK Gents! You asked, and I tried the best I can. My phone is obsolete DroidX, and I should've replaced it long ago. Since I am an old horse rancher (and a cowboy), I am not into the new gadgets, social media, and such. I participate on few forums (Rolex collectors, Jaguar, Range Rover), and I NEVER posted ANY pics on ANY forum, because it's just too much runaround with the equipment I have. But I tried, because I am REALLY interested in what you have to say about this piece.

Holster: No doubt original (as I own MANY vintage weapons and gear, I know what a 96 year old leather looks and feel like). No manufacturers markings, just a FAINT serial number (matching!) scribed in the back. It was scratched in the surface with a needle sharp object, and can not be seen with a naked eye. 10x loupe found it. On the inside of the flap, someone cleaned the portion of the leather to reveal B.A.XI (picture doesn't show it) stampped in ink. I know what that means.

Parabellum: No doubt original finish (what's left of it), and ALL (external and internal) parts match.

Mags: One with wood bottom missing a "button", matched serial. One with aluminum bottom, looks like WW2 markings. Both function flawlessly.

Value: I NEED to know after all! The pistol will never be sold, insurance is no problem either, but I HAVE TO reciprocate the gift in the appx same value (family friend that gave me this present is also a Rolex collector, so it won't be hard).

Please help with opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-30_08-45-31_459.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	39785  

Name:	2014-01-30_08-57-47_741.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	39786  

Name:	2014-01-30_09-00-44_440.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	39787  

Name:	Erfurt1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	39788  

Unread 01-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

First of all, take all the ammo. out of the wood based mag so that it does not fracture further. Close-ups just may help one of our craftsman determine if they can repair it.
A rough guestimate of the gun, holster and spare mag. would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500. Erfurts, especially those mfg. in the late war years, have a reputation of being slightly less finely finished, but completely functional.
Also, we have the world's best Luger holster repairmen on the forum, in case that holster needs freshening up. He can also help with any markings.
Very nice gun!
dju
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
danielsand
User

Thank you. That helps. Ammo is out of the woody, but the aluminum is OK to keep loaded (I do "cycle" the ammo!)? This Parabellum became my night stand pistol (I change them weekly, unload, and store in the safe).

This holster will just be in the safe, and never taken into the field, I think I want to keep it original. Somewhere in the past, the closing strap was repossitioned, but that was done long ago, as the strap itself shows that it was fielded after the repair. The strap is cracked (top layer) right where the buckle is when it's closed.

All I know about the pistol: Given to me by 74 year old lady, whose husband passed about ten years ago. He was WW2 pilot, and had this pistol "forever" (her words). She doesn't think that she has any papers with it. She still has MANY vintage guns in her safe, and she said that they will all be mine "eventually". She has four adult kids, but they are all scientists. professors, and such, and not "into guns" (her words). She doesn't want them to inherit the weapons, because they will only fight over them, and sell them.

Since I have my private shooting range (my ranch is 140 acres), she comes just about weekly, to shoot, and ride our horses.

VERY nice lady, and a dear family friend.

I wish I would have more info (like many of you say,...."if they could only talk"!) on this piece.

Can anybody tell me anything about the aluminum bottomed mag? I described the markings in my post above. The eagle that "holds" number 63 in it's "claws" definitely looks like a Nazi eagle, not like Imperial.
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

D:
More photos please, this time of the alloy base mag. Good close-ups of the base, and also any other markings on the body. One of the guys will be able to tell you specifically, or approximately, what years it was produced for.
dju
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
danielsand
User

The mag is blued (as you can see), and there are no markings on the body (checked with 10X loupe). This was challenging to do! LOL
Holding the mag in one hand, and the phone in the other, and clicking the shutter (on the screen) with my nose!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mag.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	39793  

Name:	2014-01-30_12-00-07_548.jpg
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	39794  

Unread 01-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
danielsand
User

Now that I learned how to do it, I became cocky! This is the "woody" mag. It's in nickel plating, and the right side "button" broke off. Looking at the color of the wood, seems like it broke off a while ago.

So,....can this be repaired somehow? I don't want to put the repro wood bottom on the mag. I will buy a whole mag (couple of them) from the recent production, to use, and leave these alone.

Thank you all for your help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-01-30_12-17-40_765.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	39795  

Name:	2014-01-30_12-17-55_193.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	39796  

Unread 01-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

If this is matched to the gun, it is especially worth fixing. Member Gerry Tomick, ("G.T.) is the best out there to rehab Luger magazines.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
danielsand
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
If this is matched to the gun, it is especially worth fixing. Member Gerry Tomick, ("G.T.) is the best out there to rehab Luger magazines.
It is matched. Since it will never be sold (in MY lifetime), and it will not be used........I don't know. My whole collection will go to my grandson when I kick the bucket. My daughter is only 19, and I have some time (I hope). If no grandson comes along, all will go to my best friend (unless he drops dead first!). He has a son 8 years old now, and the kid is already into shooting and martial arts (like we are).

See,...as a shooter (as opposed to a collector), I am not too concerned about the value of the whole package. And since I am selfish old bastard, I want to shoot this piece with modern magazines, and not worry about the "future value". My kin will inherit PLENTY, and I want to enjoy what I have while I'm here.
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
kubel
User

"To shoot or not to shoot" is a highly debated topic on this forum. Regardless, if you do plan on shooting this pistol more than just to test it out, you may consider replacing some of the items first, particularly the firing pin. Although you plan on keeping the pistol, if you break a numbered part, the gun will never be all-matching again.
kubel is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kubel for your post:
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #18
danielsand
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubel View Post
"To shoot or not to shoot" is a highly debated topic on this forum. Regardless, if you do plan on shooting this pistol more than just to test it out, you may consider replacing some of the items first, particularly the firing pin. Although you plan on keeping the pistol, if you break a numbered part, the gun will never be all-matching again.
Thank you. I am aware of all the cons against shooting it. Since the pistol is not rare by any means, if something breaks, I'll replace it, regardless of the loss of value. It will not be shot much. About 200 rounds a year. I have so many weapons, that none of them gets a lot through the pipe.

Thank you for the comment.
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #19
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

Perhaps the right time for a serious thought: we are but custodians of these items and part of our task is to preserve and save for posterity. Breaking and replacing doesn't really fit into that duty and responsibility.
We uphold your right to your decision; the rest is up to you.
Just my 2 cents.
Jack
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to CAP Black for your post:
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #20
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

It's easy enough to change out the parts most commonly broken before shooting, reserving the numbered originals. It will take around a hundred bucks to obtain them, but your heirs may appreciate this "insurance", as it will maintain its matching status and value, while shooting those 200 rounds. I also hope you know that a granddaughter would be just as good as a grandson!