LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-01-2002, 11:08 PM   #1
MG
User

Question Question about parts

Hello all,

I had read somewere that someone had found a LOT
of batched number parts that looked like the came
from war production plants during WW2. They said that the parts were in asia and looked like origials with matching numbers. It was thought that the parts may have been massed produced in Germany with the numbers ALREADY ON THEM. And that maybe there were bins in the plants that had all #42,#34,#44 etc.on any parts to go into a gun.
I could see how this could speed up production, but I have a question: If said parts ARE REAL and
said parts were made at the SAME TIME that the guns were made. If you should put them into a gun to make all the parts match( same era,style,
same factroy,etc.)what would happen the the collectablty of said gun? My point is If they are real factory parts, would this be like restoring a car? How would you know? You could not tell replacement parts except by wear(age would be same, so color should be too).

Just thought I would ask as there is alot of faking going on ( I just saw a russian rework on
Gunbroker that they want $1200 for the MINT gun that has been in their home for years)

Thanks all and have a Great Labor day and pray for
the families of 9/11.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2002, 01:55 AM   #2
Aaron
Banned

Hogwash. Parts are numbered after they are fitted to a pistol
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2002, 02:26 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Red face

Okay MG, going by the what if, (smile and nod Aaron),

So what if you find parts that match. This is a difference in Luger collecting compared to car restoring where you use NOS parts and it is good as new. With some gun collecting, putting old parts to replace and / or fix an old gun is acceptable, but in Luger collecting, this is considered bad and boosting a gun.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts
MG, I'm familiar with the warehouse full of numbered parts but it's not in Asia but rather in east central Texas, not far from Waco.

I responded to an ad some years ago in Gun List. Finally able to get this guy on the phone, I asked about artllery stocks and tools. He said he had plenty of them all from German stores in Potsdam. Some were marked and others not. He asked what numbers I was looking for and I told him "1939" as I had an artillery with that number.

After excusing himself from the phone for several minutes he came back on the line and said he did, indeed have a stock and tool so numbered. I grilled him some more and he insisted that all this stuff was original German munufacture and came from an old supply depot in Potsdam.

I sent the money and got the goods; an East German serrated tool and an IMA or Sarco stock. Both were numbered with the same dies. These two pieces now sit in a prominent place in my gun room to serve as reminders that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Since that time I have spotted this reptile and his extended family plying their trade at the Tulsa show. I have maintained anonymity and asked about their lugers. They were attempting to foist pieces of every sort and description that were all absolute s---.

Along with the bogus pieces I have kept the receipt and cancelled check.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2002, 08:23 PM   #5
MG
User

Hello all,

Good, I was thinking that this was fakery(is there such a word?). I know alot of people out there will do ANYTHING to make money,and I am glad
I found this site so I would not get burned so easily when I go looking for another Luger.I hope I did not make anyone mad about the subject, but I am new to this and was just curious.

Hey by the way, I had seen infomation that Lugers
had bad triggers on them. Mine seems to be very smooth and let-off is as good as my target pistol.
I bought it from Tom Heller so maybe that has alot to do with it?.(Thanks Tom for all you did for me) Mine is a russian rework, but seems to be in better shape than some I have seen.

Thanks everyone
MG is offline   Reply With Quote