LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Drum beat! did you know????

Hi to all, I am currently finishing up my latest batch of Numrich snail drum magazine sets and with every new run of drums, I have a practice run with the components prior to final polishing and assembly... Not too much can be changed at this point, but I usually find out if something major is lacking, and figure out what that particular process involves, and correct as needed. Well, the inspection and assembly went as planned, and I jumped right into the test phase, everything going along as planned. In the down time between runs, I had dismantled my shell catching net and in my haste to test, just jury rigged it up in a corner so as I could test quickly and get back to full scale assembly! In the limited space I had created for my testing, I found I had to cant the Luger / drum rig somewhat sideways to both work the toggles and catch the rounds. Malfunctions started to show up immeadiatly! What the hell??? these were issues I'd not seen in a long time, double jams, failure to close, failure to extract, all jumbled together?
Well, I figured it out on about the third mag test run.. The Luger has to be held somewhere in the vertical plane to function properly? It can be pointed up, or down, but not rotated sideways! The reason for this is the same reason they made an adapter sleeve for the use in MP18's. To keep the drum from going in too far and dragging on the breechblock and other items, such as the ammo still in the mag. Re-adjusted my test area, held the drum / luger vertical orientation, and pointed slightly down, and presto! 100% function thru three full mags! ... Now, we all know! Best to all, til....lat'r.....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
STEINBVG
User

Default Side toggle

Damn, and I was so going to try to shoot Luger gangbanger style...sideways. I guess for that I would need something like that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24B92B69-B400-488C-A3D8-FE323C21CE16.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	82494  

Name:	C99D1674-D8C4-4A76-83A0-F0197BD71B7F.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	82495  

STEINBVG is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 11 members says Thank You to STEINBVG for your post:
Unread 04-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
Firestop
New User

I have a 1941 p08 that Jams when the round is coming out of the mag. The lead part is up with the bolt holding it against the cylinder. Any suggestions?
Firestop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2021, 11:14 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default jams!

Hi Firestop, several suggestions! First, proceed only with ammo that is 100% positive energy to work the action properly for our test phase. That'd be WW white box 115 grain ball target range ammo...
Second, disassemble and liberally lube the luger inside and out! Make sure you clean the extractor area as well. Wipe away all that weeps down and you're good to go to the range...
BTW, invest in a new Mec-Gar mag. It costs approx. $30.00 but will put you miles ahead in the testing attempt.
A jam you describe is usually a result of short recoil or an interference of some type? (bent or dirty parts, etc. etc. )
BTW, Opps! Almost forgot! Field strip, and remove firing pin assembly, and reassemble. You can now load up a mag and see if you can cycle all the rounds thru manually, or statically as in a bench test, by not firing it but performing all the actions necessary for function? Important!!! All the while keep it pointed down range to avoid disaster! Even without the firing pin, all safety rules still apply!!!!!! If you have dummy rounds, now is the time to use them! ....This will tell us if it is a mechanical issue, or a energy problem?
Do all of what i just outlined, (static bench test totally up to you! Proceed at you own peril!) range test, and report back, we'll go along step by step... best, til....lat'r....GT.....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEINBVG View Post
Damn, and I was so going to try to shoot Luger gangbanger style...sideways. I guess for that I would need something like that

Sorry for the thread drift: Did you receive and install the new mag catch from GT into your Mauser Parabellum?? If so, how did it do?

Again, sorry for the drift.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #6
STEINBVG
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
Sorry for the thread drift: Did you receive and install the new mag catch from GT into your Mauser Parabellum?? If so, how did it do?

Again, sorry for the drift.
If you recall, I have widened bulged the magazine in the area of the catch opening- and that already fixed the problem, the magazine stopped falling out.
GT sent me straw blued catch which looked much like mine, However when I installed it, it seemed that the magazine locked crispier, with a very pleasant more audible click.

I have shot the gun a few times with the spare upper supplied by GT and had zero malfunctions.
Very happy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2B3B6BC5-2213-40E3-B5EE-B2EEFD9BB256.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	82506  

STEINBVG is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to STEINBVG for your post:
Unread 04-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron