LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-08-2001, 07:12 PM   #1
Dok
RIP

Default [ANNOUNCEMENT] Forum Decorum

In light of a thread last week about Nazis, I have modified the Forum Decorum page (under General Information) to state that this topic is off limits, even if only to voice your righteous indignation about all that the Nazis stood for.

Please read this newly added section and familiarize yourselves with the policy. As always, we are here to enjoy and talk about Lugers, not politics. If it's politics you want to talk about, there are plenty of other forums that will be pleased to give you the bandwidth for this topic.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 07-08-2001, 07:47 PM   #2
MK

Default Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Forum Decorum

There was a Nazi thread?

I must have missed that one.

Mike

Unread 07-08-2001, 08:02 PM   #3
REB

DOK.

Does your directive include all politcal messages such as the previous thread about "The UN wants your guns ****". Who makes the rules? Don't get me wrong I am here for Luger discussions and don't give a tinkers damn about politics, but what are the rules of behavior for this forum?

Rod

Unread 07-08-2001, 08:04 PM   #4
fgr

Default Full Text....

Forbidden Topic

As mentioned earlier, the Luger's production spanned over fifty years, approximately fifteen of which were under the Nazi regime. The Luger Forum does not condone the politics of Adolph Hitler or the Third Reich, and wish to go on record as condemning the acts of brutality and genocide carried out by the Nazis against their polictical enemies. However, it cannot be ignored that the Luger saw service during this period, and many variations can be attributed to this era. Discussion of those Lugers, the various production facilities, proofing departments, and indeed military units are all part of the fabulous history of this weapon. Having said that, it must be stated that discussion of the topic of Nazism and its politics is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. I will immediately erase any thread which presents this as its primary theme, even if only to condemn Nazism and all it stood for.

Unread 07-08-2001, 08:18 PM   #5
MK

Rod is on to something there Dok.

I like this forum because is it primarily ON TOPIC.

Sure, there are going to be some arguments but all such discussions START with a Luger related topic.

Announcement type posts like The UN wants my guns or Elvis is at the Palazzio will ruin a topic specific board quicker than cold blue can destroy the value of an original 85% Luger.

I'd just as soon not have to start HUNTING to find the Luger topics lost in a maze of "The Blue Helmets are Coming" posts.

Mike

Unread 07-08-2001, 08:19 PM   #6
REB

Default Re: Full Text....

FGR

Way to go - history but no politics. This forum is about Lugers not politics and not even the WEB master should need to remind us.

Rod

Unread 07-08-2001, 09:14 PM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

Default CONGRADULATIONS

Dok,

congrads! I don't like censorship, but the nazi topic got out of hand. I trust your good taste and applaud your decision. You are trying to do the right thing.

Big Norm

Unread 07-09-2001, 12:25 PM   #8
Dok
RIP

Default FGR - Thank you for pulling my text...

on the Forbidden Topic out of the Forum Decorum page and posting it to the message board, I chose not to do that as some folks had not read the the original text whence it came, and this was a good opportunity for them to do that.

You are still encouraged to read the Forum Decorum link, which has other guidelines which you may find helpful. It can be found as the top link in the General Information page.

Dok

Unread 07-09-2001, 01:01 PM   #9
Dok
RIP

Default REB - Yes it does include...

the message "the UN wants your guns", but appreciate I'm far less likely to immediately pull that thread than a Nazi thread, although both are Off Topic (OT) and neither have any real place here on the Luger Forum where discussions should be focused on Lugers.

To answer your question about who makes the rules, I guess I pretty much do, although I'd like to think that I'm not heavy handed with them, and because my reign here is realtively new, not everything is yet written down or set in stone, so we are evolving.

If any member feels a certain rule should (or shouldn't) exist, I welcome them to contact me off line and present their case. I then will confer with as many members as I need to, whose opinions I value, and try arrive at a concensus, at which point I'll get back to you with the result.

If you haven't yet read the Forum Decorum document (in General Information), I encourage you to do so, while not all encompassing, it contains many points and guidelines for behaviour on the Forum, and forms the basis for our policies.

Dok

Unread 07-09-2001, 03:57 PM   #10
Wolfgang Pfeifer
User

Rod, in your post you asked â??who makes the rulesâ?, good question.

I have read several postings with visceral reactions to a portion of Luger history that is not even tempered by basic every day reasoning. The Website regulations suggest to move on if one does not get a response to a posting. If the Web users are a homogeneous group, they will simply not respond and the issue goes away. Why threaten with censorship by summarily deleting a thread deemed inappropriate by the Webmaster. Having faith in the userâ??s judgment to answer a post or not should reign supreme on the Luger Forum, not an autocratic WebTyrant. Let the people decide. Have the courage.

Unread 07-09-2001, 05:12 PM   #11
Dok
RIP

Default Thank you Wolfgang for your perspective...

being the Web Tyrant is a thankless job, but one I was voted into, and until the majority speaks, I'll do the job as best I can.

There are far too many gun forums where there is no policing of topics, and posters regularly attack one another until only the strongest is left. It is not my intention to be the Web Tyrant of such a site. I am under the understanding based on comments that have been made, that people actually prefer the respect and dignity found here.

All that goes hand in hand with having rules and guidelines, and while not perfect, they are a far cry from the anarchy your post suggests to me. If you would like this job, I heartily encourage you to apply for it, you'll really like the pay and short hours. As you say... "Have the courage", I won't mind stepping aside one bit.

Regards

Dok (Web Tyrant)

Unread 07-09-2001, 07:06 PM   #12
Wolfgang Pfeifer
User

Default Re: Thank you Wolfgang for your perspective...

Hello Dok,

Thank you for your excellent response to my post. Good to hear from you, the Webmaster. I am aware of the many hours spent behind the scene vis-?*-vis what we see when we login. I am sure you read my profile. I do applaud your time spent and your expertise.

I have not been on any other gun forums and I agree, this site does practice respect and dignity and provides expert information about Lugers. Additionally I support rules and guidelines, particularly when they are clearly defined. I have forgotten little of what was drummed into my young head while still in the old country.

I know the meaning of the word anarchy and I have re-examined my post. Perhaps the line â??Let the people decideâ? could be massaged into the personification of anarchy, if all the web users rebelled, unlikely, certainly not my wish.

You have a sense of humor, a prerequisite to be a Webtyrant and I respectfully decline your offer of stepping aside for me to take your job. I will be mindful of the boundaries you wrote about and I am sure your are a vigilant guardian in charge.

Best Regards

Wolfgang

Unread 07-09-2001, 09:00 PM   #13
Bob Spitzer

Dok, although I am a newbie to the Forum I stand in full agreement with you. Nazism has no place in this Forum. I believe the best policy is to leave that topic alone....Bob.

Unread 07-09-2001, 09:05 PM   #14
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Thank you Wolfgang for your perspective...

Thank you for those words Wolfgang, you and I probably share more in common than we differ. I too have spent time pouring over hex dumps and registers, being a somewhat "old" codger myself.

I will always try to act in the best interest of the membership as a whole, a formidable task to say the least, but one which carries the highest regard in my book.

Thank you for your participation in the Luger Forum.

Dok

Unread 07-10-2001, 01:38 AM   #15
Rick K
User

I feel bad! I apologize to all of you! I participated in the "nazi" thread. I gave what I felt was an honest answer, in my view, to the question posed. I also foolishly, decided to give my version of the history of Europe, (jokingly, I swear) in a nutshell in about three sentences and showed a . Someone who is very wise posted and said that we should drop the thread. I never posted again to the thread and didn't see anyone else post to it either! Maybe Dok cut it off, but I got the impression that it just died. I guess I'm saying that we've policed ourselves well up to now. Distasteful or uninteresting threads have always just died here. I've always felt that I was in the company of absolutely polite and considerate people on this forum. That's why I apologize and I hope things don't change much!

Unread 07-11-2001, 02:57 AM   #16
Gen

This discussion has been very thoughtful and reflective in general of the high tone that has been set here.

Keep up the good work Dok -- we all appreciate it greatly!