LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-06-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
tom collins

Default ugly erfurts

just got my first erfurt this weekend. a 1917 4inch 9mm erfurt. boy is it plum ugly. it's in pretty decnt shape, all matching and nice finish left, but the machining is awful. it looks like someone used a dull butter knife to machine this. are they all like this?

Unread 05-06-2002, 06:59 PM   #2
Greg
User

Default Re: ugly erfurts

Tom, I've got one as the same vintage as your's, supposedly in near mint condition. However, I must agree wth your comments! You can tell that Erfurt didn't have to be concerned with cosmetics.

Unread 05-06-2002, 07:22 PM   #3
Bernard
User

Default Re: ugly erfurts

I remember hearing various stories about the Erfurt machinery. Even 'back then', they were not as nicely done as the DWM ones. If I remember right, and someone correct me, the DWM production line went to Mauser. The Erfurt production line went to Simpson, who had a heck of a time building accepatble pistols with it and the machinery was retired (scrapped?.

Unread 05-06-2002, 08:10 PM   #4
Wm. "Pete

Default Simpson To krieghoff Hand-Off...

Erfurt to Simpson and then the tooling went to Krieghoff in 1934. Most think Krieghoff only used the old Simpson tooling as a tool template to make the Krieghoof machinery...

Erfurt did seem to bypass cosmetics and focused mostly on functionality and reliability of the lugers they made...

Unread 05-06-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
Addicted

Default Early Erfurt's Beautiful

Tom,

Some of the early Erfurt's especially in the 1913 period were as beautiful as the DWM's. I guess there machinery did wear out or they got in a hurry!

Unread 05-06-2002, 08:29 PM   #6
Dan Clemons
User

Default Re: Well that does it! No Erfurts for me. (EOM)

Unread 05-06-2002, 09:05 PM   #7
Brandon Metcalf

Default Sorry but I like my Erfurts

Theres just something about them! I have a soft spot for those old war horses! They might not be pretty but I like em!

Brandon

Unread 05-06-2002, 09:46 PM   #8
Greg
User

Default Re: Sorry but I like my Erfurts

I agree with you Brandon. There's something appealing about the "ugly duckling" member of the Luger family

Unread 05-06-2002, 09:59 PM   #9
tom collins

i did'nt say i didn't like them...just that it was one ugly gun.

Unread 05-06-2002, 10:19 PM   #10
Brandon Metcalf

Default That I can agree with! (EOM)

Unread 05-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #11
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts

When you consider that DWM had been turning out commercial as well as military Lugers for several years and had that finishing process as standard, and then you have an arsenal pressed into service to build new weapons from scratch, old Erfurt didn't do too badly. I have a 1912 DWM and a 1912 Erfurt, both in pretty good condition, and side by side they compare favorably. Sure, the Erfurt doesn't have quite as "soft" a finish and the machine marks in the rear frame ramp are a little more conspicuous, but you wouldn't be ashamed to take her to the dance.

Unread 05-06-2002, 11:51 PM   #12
bcc

Default Erfurts are underated!

I agree with the comment that the early Erfurts were very comparable with the military contract DWMs of the same period. I have near mint Erfurt (1917) that is different story. It had many machine marks and even some "dings"...that are under the original finish! It appears that it had perhaps one application of the rust blue finish rather than multiple coats. The finish is a gray hue with a hint of blue tone.

All of that said, I have never seen a pistol that sets off a display of WWI German combat feldgrau uniform etc...like that one...it very much conveys a "WWI German Look".

Erfurts were the only German Luger to be manufactured at a "Royal Arsenal" and in that sense were made by the goverment rather than contracted.

Erfurts were made in less quanity than either DWM or Mauser.

It's funny to me that WWII German Rifle collectors pay a premium for rough forged,machined "kriegsmodel" Mauser K98k's (sometimes several times what nice early ones bring)but the late war Erfurts from WWI seemed to get less favorable press.

Unread 05-07-2002, 12:09 AM   #13
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Early Erfurt's Beautiful

I have to agree on the early Erfurts being much better than the late pistols. I have a 1914 Erfurt P08 that has a beautiful finish. Even the DWM pistols were suffering from a letdown in quality toward the end of WWI.

Unread 05-07-2002, 05:33 PM   #14
Bernard
User

Default Forgot Krieghoff ... Thanks (EOM)

Unread 05-07-2002, 07:25 PM   #15
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Forgot Krieghoff ... Thanks

I've got a dog named Buster. If the light catches him right after I've had about 6-8 beers and he turns a little to the left he ain't all that ugly. My Erfurt is kinda like that. Take off my glasses, squint a little, it ain't bad looking. I've had too many beautiful women leave me and too many pure bred dogs not be worth a damn to be impressed with appearance over reliability. Erfurts are like that. They weren't made to be pretty, just functional.

Roadkill

The following member says Thank You to Roadkill for your post:
Unread 05-07-2002, 07:41 PM   #16
Greg
User

Default Re: Forgot Krieghoff ... Thanks

AMEN!

Unread 05-07-2002, 07:44 PM   #17
Brandon Metcalf

Default I couldn't have said it better Roadkill! (EOM)

Unread 05-08-2002, 08:34 AM   #18
Tom Heller

Default Re: Early Erfurt's Beautiful

I don't think that the machinery wore out, but the war time pressure to up production, led to less polishing and fewer coats of rust blue. Tom h