LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-21-2001, 02:40 PM   #1
Joe
User

Default Value of G-Date

Guys I am in the need of your openions on the value of a G-Date Luger a good friend of mine is in the process of buying. He brought it to me and asked my openion. Normally this would have been an easy answer, but this gun has been "restored".

G-Date

Serial 43xx a 1st variation

All parts are matching except the mag, which is proper to this gun [same proof marks, B190]

Excellent grips, very good boar

Very good straw

Reblued, all the strawed parts were removed, so none were damaged by this process. Process must have been done years ago, as there is visible wear on the rear grip strap and the high area of the side plate.

Any imput would be appreciated

Joe

Unread 10-21-2001, 05:03 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Value of G-Date

According to serious collectors, once a pistol has been restored it is no longer original, therefore has no collector value. I would be interested as to the answers you get back. My guess would be that this piece is in the $700 range.

Dok

Unread 10-21-2001, 05:16 PM   #3
Marvin
User

Dok,

In my opinion, you hit the old "nail on the head" with a value of the Luger "G" Date. To me, the biggest factor is how well the polishing was done. Were the sharp edges maintined, were the Waffenamt stamps not rounded out, and was the original surface finish maintained? If the pistol appears close to original in the rework; well worth $700. Just my opinion.

Marvin

Unread 10-21-2001, 05:35 PM   #4
Johnny Peppers
User

Even thought refinished, a rust blue refinish would be preferable to a hot salt blue. This would make some difference also.

Unread 10-21-2001, 06:11 PM   #5
Joe
User

As a point of clarification, the Waffenamt are still pretty crisp. This gun is marked with two B-190 and a D/E. If it was not for the bluing of the ramp going from the mag into the chamber and the chamber port, it looks orginial. The edges are as sharp as my unaltered G-Date that I compared it to.

Unread 10-21-2001, 07:18 PM   #6
bill m
User

Default Correct Acceptance Marks

Hi,

There are six variations of the G-date military. They start with B/90 S/91, then B/90 S/92, next W/154 S/92, next 211 S/92, next Eagle 63 S/92, and last Eagle 63 Eagle 63. The test eagle is the same on all variations and is the third mark, from left to right.

$700 seems high to me for this gun, refinished and without a matching magazine.

Unread 10-22-2001, 07:21 AM   #7
Marvin
User

Default Re: Correct Acceptance Marks

Bill,

At the last two shows I have attended in Florida, the few Lugers I saw had been refinished, with the edges rounded off and the stamps showing they were buffed. The lowest price was $795. I would guess the dealer would come off this some if cash was in hand, but the re-work was very poor. Also, the finish was a high polish. They looked like crap! I don't know if they ever sold, but I would never pay the price they were asking. I guess the old saying the "anything is only worth what someone will pay" is the price they are worth. I wish I could see some of the "low" priced Lugers at gun shows in the Southeast. A nice original Luger in 93-95% condition, all matching except magazine goes for approx. $1000-1200. This is for the common Lugers. The gun show prices here are CRAZY!

It sounds like Joe's is a well re-worked Luger.

Marvin

Unread 10-22-2001, 11:32 PM   #8
mlm

The pistol doesn't sound worth much more than $500 but I would sure like to locate a mag with B190 inspection stamp for my G-date. They are hard to find.

Unread 10-23-2001, 11:37 PM   #9
Joe
User

Default Luger Going Back

Thanks guys for your imput on the value of this G-Date, reblued Luger. My friend paid $900 for it from a well known dealer. He called him yesterday and the dealer agreed to take it back without any problem.

It was my openion that it was valued at about $500 to 600 and felt he had overpaid for it, but I wanted other collector's openions. This is a great example of the benifit of belonging to this forum.

Joe

Unread 10-24-2001, 01:11 AM   #10
Thor
User

Default Re: Luger Going Back

Joe, it is encouraging that some of the dealers are now listing their reworked Lugers as restored or reblued. I think that is much better than not telling the buyer this fact. We can only hope that they would do that with all their reworked Lugers, but I doubt it! That is the main reason I put a rework mark on mine. So there is no doubt about it! ~Thor~