LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 12-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
adlerauger
User

Default Steel case 9mm; a no-no ?

Gentlemen:

I just read a comment in the new collectors section that one should never shoot steel cased ammo ( 9mm ) in a Luger.
The brand in question is Wolf, 9 mm,115 gr copper FMJ. While I am not a lover of Wolf ammo, I've shot some of it in other of my weapons with no apparent ill effects. A friend gave me two boxes ( 100 rnds ) of it so I didn't waste any money on it either way.
I'm sure the reason why not to do so in a Luger is a darned good one, but just out of curiosity, why not ?

Thanks in advance,
Adler Auger
adlerauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
jonnyc
User

The Germans issued steel-cased 9mm ammo in both WWI and WWII, so plenty of Lugers have experienced it. In addition, we're talking about soft mild steel. I wouldn't worry about a small quantity of steel-cased ammo, especially with a "shooter" Luger.
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Adler, Steel cased ammo does not expand on firing and so does not seal the chamber as effectively as brass does. This results in combustion products leaking into the firing pin chamber, causing binding over time. This is why the fluted firing pin was introduced. If you do shoot steel ammo, you will need to clean your gun more frequently. Regards, Norm
Norme is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
adlerauger
User

Gentlemen:
Thanks for your input. Your knowledgeable opinions are what makes this such a valuable forum.
The complexities of the Luger would require years of research if not for this web-site.
Even though my Lugers are only "shooters", I don't wish to shorten their functioning life by using steel cased ammo, so there's another item for my next garage sale.
Thanks,
Adler Auger
adlerauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

The problem was a combination of case material, the stepped chamber of the design, and also the lacquer coating used during WW2.

The German army knew very well that Lugers would experience feeding and extracting problems when used with steel cased ammunition and they placed warning labels on the ammunition crates.

Mauser was asked to develop a fix for this, which they actually presented to the army, but it was never used in large amounts: A reamer that would effectively remove the chamber step from the chamber, thus eliminating the main cause of the steel case jams.

IMHO collectors still don't check their chambers enough
The stepped chamber is one of the things that Mauser did not include in their post-war Parabellum design. So these should work well with steel cased ammunition, theoretically.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
MikeP
User

"Member reading a discussion long ago on steel cass being hard on Luger extractors.

Seemed like good thinking at the time.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote