LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 09-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
A.Mifsin
User

Default PPK ammo

Hi All,
I have a PPK and tried to hand load some ammo for it. The manual stated that OAL is 24.99mm, but that size, the bullet will not chamber, because it is too long. I made the OAL 23.75mm and it works fine. Now I am worried because by reducing the OAL by 1.24mm I could be compressing the powder, which it might produce too much pressure.
Checking on a factory load bullet the OAL was nearly close to 24.99mm. I am using a Lee bullet mould 90gr.
Any help is much appreciated.
Alf.
Unread 09-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
PhilOhio
User

You didn't say what kind of powder. If it's Bullseye, Unique, W231, or some light flake powder like that, slight compression will cause no problems. Most reloading manuals include a notation or asterisk where the recommended charge is compressed, so you won't worry when you discover that this must be done.

I prefer not to do it, but have done so when required. I would not do it with a relatively hard, long grain powder, as rifle powder. And in most cases, where compression would be "required" to fit it into the case, the charge would be dangerously high.

Check to see that the last fraction of an inch of the lands in the rifling of your PPK barrel have been properly reamed away, relieved, at the factory. Even Walther makes mistakes. If the lands go back all the way to the front ledge of the chamber, they would cause the problem you describe, and should be relieved.

My progressive reloading press once caused a powder compression problem I only discovered on the shooting range. Some 9mm rounds were getting a DOUBLE CHARGE of Bullseye, compressing it by about 100%! Happily, I was shooting a heavily overengineered Uzi. Nothing broke, but the bases of the brass cases were being partially extruded into the ejector slot in the bolt face. Don't try that at home.
PhilOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
A.Mifsin
User

Thanks PhilOhio, for the information. The powder is REX 24 ( I use it also for my 9mm reloads ) and I stared with 1.3gr and my last load was 1.1gr. The gun recycled without any problems, but accuracy was very bad.
Alf.
Unread 09-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I reload rounds for my bolt action rifles so that the bullet is as close to the lands as possible to improve accuracy. I determine the correct OAL by loading one "long" and then carefully use the bolt cam action to seat the bullet. I then back off that OAL by a few thousands and it works fine.

Could you not determine the maximum OAL for your pistol the same way? Of course, don't crimp the test round.

Just a thought.
Unread 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
RWS
User

Try another bullets, not only the OAL can cause this, maybe this mould make bullets wide enough at the point to reach grooves.

I experimented similar problem in rifles, some bullets touch grooves at the same OAL others don't.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to RWS for your post: