LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 09-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
alterfritz
User

Default Range Report

I thought I let you know my latest results and also ask if other people have had similar experience.

I bought this ammunition by Sellier&Bellot recently, since there is absolutely no Winchester Ammunition available. I was a bit afraid due to my bad experience in the past. However this stuff worked absolutely GREAT in my 1970's Mauser. It is a bit picky with Ammo and I usually have some malfunctions, although, after GT fixed my magazines and brought me from 1 up to 5 working magazines it was better.

GT if you're reading, even the one magazine that still had some problems worked without any jams.

Out of 50 shots I did not have one malfunction. So I think that this stuff is better for my gun than the Winchester White Box. You might want to give it a try.

Last edited by alterfritz; 09-24-2009 at 12:23 AM.
alterfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
rolandtg
User

I have shot a lot of 9mm, .380, and .32 S&B ammo and I've never had any problems or cause for complaint.

(Although at $20 a box I wouldn't call it "cheaper than dirt"!)
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
alterfritz
User

I should also add that after cleaning the gun now, it seems to be correct what one reviewer said on that site, that this ammo is very clean. My gun was less dirty than after a session with the Winchester rounds.
I wonder if it is true what some guy stated in the revies that this ammo is "hotter" than most other rounds. When GT did my magazines, he had to put in stronger springs than for most WWII and I Lugers. A more powerfull load would then help to move the action better, I could imagine.

Last edited by alterfritz; 09-24-2009 at 12:23 AM.
alterfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
rolandtg
User

I have not noticed that S&B is particularly hotter than WWB, at least in 9mm.
.380, S&B maybe a bit hotter, imho.

.32, I don't shoot a whole lot but I've used (crappy) Aguila, (crappier) Wolf, and S&B.
I didn't notice a whole of difference, except that Aguila is dirty and Wolf is dirty *and* stinky!
I much preferred the S&B. I have no complaints with Fiocchi etiher.

Although I'm sure there's some folks around here with differing opinions.
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
PhilOhio
User

Awhile back, I tried S&B ammo in several pistol calibers. I will not shoot any more of it.

I reload, and want only cases correctly made to industry specs, using good quality materials. S&B is not that.

The brass is FAR too soft, not at all to industry standards. No manufacturer should be marketing commercial ammo with brass so far out of spec. I can't imagine what they are thinking, unless they figure it will balloon to fit the largest worn or out-of-spec chamber without bursting.

When you have brass this soft, you can also have an extractor tearing off rims during extraction. And you get the same thing during the sizing step in reloading, unless case lubrication is just perfect or you have good carbide dies.

There are all sorts of problems with their primer pocket specs, requiring each fired case to be corrected and trued before a new primer can be seated.

If you want ammo to just run through a SMG or something where quality makes little difference, and you will leave the cases lying on the ground (good place for them), S&B may be O.K. But having given it a fair and objective chance, I'll pass on S&B.

My worst experience with S&B was in .30 Mauser; hot round and poor quality soft case brass; bad combination.

I've never had any of these problems with other commonly available American and foreign commercial ammo, although a few foreign surplus types also have similar problems other than the metallurgy.
PhilOhio is offline   Reply With Quote