LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-31-2019, 11:13 AM   #21
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Let me ask a stupid question...If I did have a camera mounted on my laptop or PC, why would I aim it at anything other than my face??? And if I had a mic, what would it record???
OMG - if I haftatell you!

I just keep sending them money from my huge stash of money that they sent me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nigerian-man-dies-and-authorities-find-27-billion-in-his-24498818.png
Views:	43
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	78122  

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 10-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #22
aldo35
User

Hi,
Being retired and with time on my hands now and then. I like to play along with tel calls. Most emails I receive have ab email address with sometimes show the source country.Which xan also be a source of fun to play aroung when it's raining.
aldo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to aldo35 for your post:
Unread 10-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #23
m1903a3
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blm14740 View Post
Worked on a case recently where a gentleman has sent over $250,000 to scammers in the Caribbean. Amazing that people are still falling victim to this stuff in 2019.

-Brandon
Can I have his email address? I'd like to send him a note.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
m1903a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2019, 11:52 PM   #24
Blm14740
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1903a3 View Post
Can I have his email address? I'd like to send him a note.
I hear you, Mike! This guy could make some nice contributions to our respective Luger funds!

The only thing that stopped him was us asking him to sign a "money mule" letter, basically stating that his money was being funnelled outside the United States to be used for nefarious purposes, and that if he continues to send money, he is knowingly financing a criminal organization, and is subject to prosecution.

Sometimes it's hard to stop the bleeding.

-Brandon
Blm14740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #25
Olle
User

There used to be a web site called "The Scam Baiter" where people posted their correspondence with various scammers. The funniest one was a guy convincing a scammer to pay the shipping for "Anus laptops", and IIRC he eventually managed to have a toilet shipped to Nigeria at the scammer's expense. The original thread is long gone, but I found an archived part of it: http://postarchives.entensity.net/040105/scam.htm
The following 4 members says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 11-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #26
Bill_in_VA
User

Here's another good one about baiting the scammers: https://www.419eater.com/
Fair warning, you'll waste a lot of time here, much of it NSFW (but hilariously worth it.)
John 8:32

reive (riːv) vb (Military) (intr) dialect Scot and Northern English to go on a plundering raid
[variant of reave]
ˈreiver n e.g., " Some view the Border Reivers as loveable rogues."
Bill_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2019, 05:11 AM   #27
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Uh, oh. I had a message on my phone answering machine yesterday. It said my internet access would be cut off today if I didn't pay my access fees. Please call 877-229-3394 to arrange payment. Have ISP bill and credit card info handy.

DING DING DING!!! Red Flag!!! My ISP already has my CC info, as it is a recurring charge. But a few years ago, they did cut me off because I had renewed my CC but forgot to call them and tell them the new expiry date.

So I called my ISP, just to be sure, and the nice young man told me yes, it was a scam. They had my current CC expiry and I was all good.

I Googled that number and there are loads of complaints/warnings about that number. Besides the CC scam, they also charge your phone number for calling them. Not just long-distant rates, but additional charges which by calling them you agree to.

So...They almost had me...Close, but no cigar...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 11-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #28
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Oh oh...I just got another classic...

Your Abandoned Package For Delivery!!!
Interim Assistant General Manager, (Operations, Maintenance, Transportation) Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Address: 2400 Aviation Dr N, DFW Airport, TX 75261, USA Email: dfw.jimcarlos@gmail.com Hello , Your Abandoned Package For Delivery I am Mr. Jim Carlos, head of luggage/baggage storage facilities (Operations, Maintenance, Transportation) here at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. During my recent WITHHELD PACKAGE routine check at the Airport Storage Vault, I discovered an abandoned shipment from a Diplomat from Africa and when i scanned it, it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in a Metal Trunk Box weighing approximately 110kg. The consignment was abandoned because the Contents of the consignment was not properly declared by the consignee as "MONEY" rather it was declared as personal effect to avoid interrogation as well as, the inability of the diplomat to pay for the United States Non Inspection Charges which is $3,700USD. The details of the consignment including your name, your email address and the official documents from the United Nations office in Geneva are tagged on the Trunk box. However, to enable me confirm if you are the actual recipient of this consignment, I will advise you provide your current Phone Number and Full Address, to enable me cross check if it corresponds with the address on the official documents including the name of nearest Airport around your city. Please note that this consignment is supposed to have been returned to the United States Treasury Department as unclaimed delivery due to the delay in concluding the clearance processes so as a result of this, I will not be able to receive your details on my official email account. So in order words to enable me cross check your details, I will advise you send the required details to my private email address for quick processing and response. Once I confirm you as the actual recipient of the trunk box, I can get everything concluded within 48 hours upon your acceptance and proceed to your address for delivery. Lastly, be informed that the reason I have taken it upon myself to contact you personally about this abandoned consignment because I want us to transact this business and share the money 70% for you and 30% for me since the consignment has not yet been returned to the United States Treasury Department after being abandoned by the diplomat so immediately the confirmation is made, I will go ahead and pay for the United States Non Inspection Fee of $3,700 dollars and arrange for the box to be delivered to your doorstep Or I can bring it by myself to avoid any more trouble but you have to assure me of my 30% share. I wait to hear from you urgently if you are still alive and I will appreciate if we can keep this deal confidential. Please get back to me via my private Email dfw.jimcarlos@gmail.com) for further directives. Thanks, Mr. Jim Carlos Interim Assistant General Manager, (Operations, Maintenance, Transportation) Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Address: 2400 Aviation Dr N, DFW Airport, TX 75261, USA Email: dfw.jimcarlos@gmail.com

I'm pretty sure I've received a similar email some time ago...But I think I deserve more than 70%...
Unread 11-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #29
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I'd see if he would go for a 90/10 split, in your favor of course.
Unread 11-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #30
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I wait to hear from you urgently if you are still alive...That's a valid point among this crowd.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #31
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I've gotten a couple of phone scams lately (this year). One is the now-famous Amazon Customer Service representative who calls and says that a $749 charge is being made to my Amazon account and I need to contact the following number to resolve the issue blah blah.

This one was on my answering machine today -

Quote:
Dear customer, this is an important notification call to you from billing department, this is to inform you that $99 is going to be charged from your checking account or plastic card, which is attached in our system, within 24 hours for the auto renewal of your subscription. If you want to cancel the subscription please call us immediately at support 239-230-3126 I repeat the number 239-230-3126 . If you are not the subscriber of PP Care Maintenance Service, please disconnect the call and call us at 239-230-3126, thank you and have a wonderful day.

A quick Google showed me it is another scam. I almost fell for it, as Road & Track magazine has been trying to get me to re-subscribe. But it's just another scam.

I get four or five calls a day that do not leave a message. I stopped answering the phone. I just wait for the call to end and star-69 it to see where it might be coming from. I doubt the reverse number is correct, but it gives me something to Google and confirm it's a scammer.
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 08-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #32
Pistol
User

The one I keep getting is the robo-call where they tell me that my cars warranty is about to expire. I played along the other day and pressed the # to speak to a representative about extending my warranty.

I thanked him three or four times about how nice they were to help me with my expiring warranty, and that no one has ever been that generous. I let him know how much I really appreciated them.

Then he asked me the year, make, and model of my car. And I replied: "1968 Ford Mustang". He asked again to confirm, as if possibly he had misheard the first time. After I repeated "1968 Ford Mustang, is there a problem?", he got mad and hung up.
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Pistol for your post:
Unread 08-09-2020, 04:32 AM   #33
Zorba
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
Then he asked me the year, make, and model of my car. And I replied: "1968 Ford Mustang". He asked again to confirm, as if possibly he had misheard the first time. After I repeated "1968 Ford Mustang, is there a problem?", he got mad and hung up.
Hmmm - wonder if that would also work for my '85 Mercedes Diesel...
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Zorba for your post:
Unread 09-13-2020, 11:57 PM   #34
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Oh, oh - Here's one I just got tonight...

UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA - AFRICA'S GLOBAL BANK
HEAD OFFICE ADDRESS UBA HOUSE 57 MARINA P.O. BOX 2406 LAGOS NIGERIA phone no: +234 706 815 3659 FAX: 234 674 478 8273 I Am Mr.Kennedy Uzoka the director cash processing united bank for African the international monetary fund (I.M.F.) in conjunction with Organization of African Unity (A.U) is compensating all the scam victims with $1.500.000.00USD and your email address was found in the scam victim's, the united bank for African and Federal Reserve Bank has been mandated by the (I.M.F) to pay your compensation ($1.500, 000.00USD) in cash through means of diplomatic courier service hand delivery. Take note that Three thousand united states dollars (usd$3,000) have been mapped out for all expenses in taxes and other documents that matters. Therefore, kindly forward your home address, direct phone number to the below email address mruzokauba56@aol.com) Regards, Mr Kennedy Uzoka Director cash processing unit United bank of Africa. (U.B.A). Phone no: +234 706 815 3659 mruzokauba56@aol.com

I'm going to be rich!!! Or at least have a couple thousand bucks...
Unread 09-14-2020, 01:45 AM   #35
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

My wife received the same message on her cell phone as the OP in his initial post.

I told her it was a scam and not to worry about it.

I deleted it.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #36
Fla.Mallard
User

I got the OP's one about 3 weeks ago. I also got a phone call about 6 months ago from my "grandson" who was locked up in a Mexican jail after a car wreck. "Grampa, please send $1200 to the police here for my bail."
Trouble is my grandson is 7 years old and doesn't drive yet. He also doesn't have a passport and he calls me "Papa".
Fla.Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #37
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

If the phone scam artists really wanted to reel me in, they would find a young girl who could imitate a Japanese accent/speech pattern, and say she was a 16 year old Japanese orphan who wants to emigrate to America and she will cook/clean/wash for me if I pay plane fare and take her in...

I would gladly pay the plane ticket/send her the fare...It would fuel my dreams for weeks...
Unread 09-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #38
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I've got more than one of those mails.
I never even open them, I simply trash them straight away.
Unread 09-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #39
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I got one that said they had pictures of me they grabbed through my computer screen camera,
and I need to send money to keep from embarrassing my friends.

Made me wonder how they did it- you see - I don't have a camera in my computer screen!
Unread 09-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #40
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I got one that said they had pictures of me they grabbed through my computer screen camera,
and I need to send money to keep from embarrassing my friends.

Made me wonder how they did it- you see - I don't have a camera in my computer screen!
Same thing happened to me.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote