LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Olle
User

Default Is the C96 forum active?

I tried to register on "the new 1896 Mauser forum" (http://askmrscience.com/1896mauser/) several months ago, but never received the confirmation email. Tried to do it again today, now it says that my username and password are good, but not verified. Does anybody know if the forum is active?
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Ollie,
I'd have to say no, after reading the specs.
No admin post since Jan. 2015,
last post of any kind was in Aug., 2015.

Only 20 posts total.

Sounds like it didn't take off.
Unread 12-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
alvin
User

I submitted an application a year ago, but its operator did not approve me to join.

There is another mailing list on yahoo. But members focused on talking bore relining ten years ago. And I just checked, it's the same topic today. That's amazing. In theory, I assume those guns need relining already done... But God knows, probably need relining again after ten years.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I submitted an application a year ago, but its operator did not approve me to join.
I guess they didn't think you have enough interest in Broomhandles.

Seriously, did you actually get a reply saying that they didn't approve you? I got nothing at all. No wonder the forum doesn't take off, seems to be impossible to join.
Unread 01-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
alvin
User

Being here is not bad. I mean, Broomhandle collectors usually have a few Lugers too (I had six in the past, from 1900 to Interarms), some Luger collectors also have a few Broomhandles, I also saw that. And, these German guns have many generic things in common. We can learn something from each other from time to time.
Unread 01-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Being here is not bad. I mean, Broomhandle collectors usually have a few Lugers too (I had six in the past, from 1900 to Interarms), some Luger collectors also have a few Broomhandles, I also saw that. And, these German guns have many generic things in common. We can learn something from each other from time to time.
I agree you're right, but it's a shame that broomhandle forum doesn't work as it could.
Unread 01-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
I agree you're right, but it's a shame that broomhandle forum doesn't work as it could.
Did we ever find out what happened to Nemo??? www.m1896.com I mean (I think that was the URL). I know it was taken over by virus people, but IIRC, Nemo only lived a few blocks away from Alvin.

Nemo had a lot of good stuff there; giant color cutaway views of C96; history of Mauser C96, listing of year of mfg by serial number, lots of links. I was sorry to see it go.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
alvin
User

He must be a guy with talent but he's very shy. To live on internet, we all figured this: cannot be too sensitive
Unread 01-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #9
Olle
User

Quote:
I don't specialize in Broomhandles by any means, far from it actually. The reason why I wanted to join was to find specific information, like stickys with tips on how to fix common problems and such. But I have enough projects already, so I'm not too worried about it.
Unread 01-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Douglas Jr.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Nemo had a lot of good stuff there; giant color cutaway views of C96; history of Mauser C96, listing of year of mfg by serial number, lots of links. I was sorry to see it go.
Someone made a back up site, in order to save the information posted in the site - but not the forum, that was beyond any help:

http://home.kpn.nl/vlimmere/index.htm

I think it was Vlim that made this ersatz site
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2016, 03:42 AM   #11
Sergio Natali
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Jr. View Post
Someone made a back up site, in order to save the information posted in the site - but not the forum, that was beyond any help:

http://home.kpn.nl/vlimmere/index.htm

I think it was Vlim that made this ersatz site

Thanks, it's a pity for that forum though.
Unread 01-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Thanks to Vilm for saving the data on the site.
Unread 01-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
alvin
User

Quote:
Thanks, it's a pity for that forum though.
It's not really a forum. It's more like a bulletin board.
Unread 01-30-2016, 05:02 AM   #14
Sergio Natali
User

Yes, but it's pretty interesting in any case.
Unread 01-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #15
alvin
User

Met a collector. He told me that he had over 100 broomhandles, all in excellent condition (important context, because collecting 100 Chinese imports takes no effort at all). Of course, I did not see the collection, so I have no way to judge... very unusual though. Probably it's not rare to see a collector having 100 or 150 excellent Lugers, but it's very rare to see a collector having over 100 excellent broomhandles. Even early book author like Belford,,, he had more than 200 Lugers... but not 100 Broomhandles. Dunlap probably had over 200 broomhandles, that's very very exceptional in gun collecting.

Thought about this... do we really need 100 or 200... probably no. I just need one more, a special one, System Mauser with s/n under 370. If one day I can get one, I will sell some of my guns to support it financially. No need to be mint, a worn 10-shot gun is OK, but needs to be matching and correct.

Before that happens, I will collect based on "what's available". That's a typical accumulator's behavior, not a collector's behavior, I know. But, cannot do it better. "planned" is not there, what else can be done...
Unread 01-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #16
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I agree that the Yahoo forum is mostly focused on the Broom Closet and relining issues, but whose fault is that? Someone posts there only about once every 3 days. If you want it take it back!
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #17
Sergio Natali
User

Quote:
Met a collector. He told me that he had over 100 broomhandles, all in excellent condition (important context, because collecting 100 Chinese imports takes no effort at all). Of course, I did not see the collection, so I have no way to judge... very unusual though. Probably it's not rare to see a collector having 100 or 150 excellent Lugers, but it's very rare to see a collector having over 100 excellent broomhandles. Even early book author like Belford,,, he had more than 200 Lugers... but not 100 Broomhandles. Dunlap probably had over 200 broomhandles, that's very very exceptional in gun collecting.

Thought about this... do we really need 100 or 200... probably no. I just need one more, a special one, System Mauser with s/n under 370. If one day I can get one, I will sell some of my guns to support it financially. No need to be mint, a worn 10-shot gun is OK, but needs to be matching and correct.

Before that happens, I will collect based on "what's available". That's a typical accumulator's behavior, not a collector's behavior, I know. But, cannot do it better. "planned" is not there, what else can be done...

I've got only a few myself, here very few people collect MAUSERs C96 and the ones I met have mainly junk. Like as I said in other occasions for Lugers, and for 1911s many people do not know what they are collecting at all.
Unread 01-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #18
alvin
User

Today, I met a guy talking Mauser (in real life). Here is the story.

I visited a local gun store today. There were a few guys surrounding a salesman in showroom, chatting on guns. Initially, I did not pay attention. But I heard the sales guy mentioned "Mauser and Luger blah blah", then, I started listening....

He said, "There was a Mauser Red 9, it has been in gun show for a few sessions but it does not sell. The gun is great, but the seller wants four grand!! No, no, we don't do business that way. We sell DPMS in much reasonable price" Surprise, surprise, he knew Red 9 nick name, so, he knew something for sure. Most people don't know. But Red 9's image in his mind is obviously an overpriced pistol (being fair, it's not cheap, but $4k is not totally out of range in today's market, depends).

I thought about saying "four grand... good or bad , depends". But I hold myself and did not say anything. Gun show? Must be local show in Marlboro... why did I go there and take a look at this expensive-to-death pistol??

So I went to the gun show, even paid $12 at the door for admission. I did not see that Red 9 though. Only saw a few reblued Lugers on tables. A Banner Luger, professionally restored, asking $4500. I came out with two boxes of PPU ammo.
Unread 01-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #19
Sergio Natali
User

Quote:
Today, I met a guy talking Mauser (in real life). Here is the story.

I visited a local gun store today. There were a few guys surrounding a salesman in showroom, chatting on guns. Initially, I did not pay attention. But I heard the sales guy mentioned "Mauser and Luger blah blah", then, I started listening....

He said, "There was a Mauser Red 9, it has been in gun show for a few sessions but it does not sell. The gun is great, but the seller wants four grand!! No, no, we don't do business that way. We sell DPMS in much reasonable price" Surprise, surprise, he knew Red 9 nick name, so, he knew something for sure. Most people don't know. But Red 9's image in his mind is obviously an overpriced pistol (being fair, it's not cheap, but $4k is not totally out of range in today's market, depends).

I thought about saying "four grand... good or bad , depends on gun". But I hold myself and did not say anything. Gun show? Must be local show in Marlboro... why did I go there and take a look at this expensive-to-death pistol??

So I went to the gun show, even paid $12 at the door for admission. I did not see that Red 9 though. Only saw a few reblued Lugers on tables. A Banner Luger, professionally restored, asking $4500. I came out with two boxes of PPU ammo.
Unfortunately too many people only talk talk talk because they have a mouth under the nose...
Unread 01-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #20
alvin
User

Quote:
Unfortunately too many people only talk talk talk because they have a mouth under the nose...
Sorry, you did not get what is hidden in his mind.

It revealed one thing: there are many potential new collectors having interest in this type, so they are talking this. But the cost is too high, they don't want to spend too much or cannot afford on a great one. Low end C96 with smaller price tag should grow some value in near future when demand increases. Of course, not too low, still need to be safely shootable (more than paper weight, otherwise cannot compare with DPMS).

I bet some of them will go mid and higher end C96 too. The Large Ring listed by Joe Salter and FlatSide listed by Simpson are not low end guns, but they were sold at lighting speed. Current market trend is actually not bad.