LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 09-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #61
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
GEVALIA is a great company offering premium coffee's but I have change almost exclusively to a Keurig and K cups.
Gevalia's House Blend and Colombian are my favorites, but it could be because I grew up with Gevalia. Good news is that you can get it in Keurig cartridges, so it's Gevalia all day long here.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #62
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
Geez Rich, I can't believe what I'm reading! Vanilla, sugar, honey, creamer, what are you, some kind of wuss?
Norm, I forgot to add a comment about my honey...My coffee honey...My honey in my coffee...

It's 'Sioux Bee' honey...There's two kinds, but at first I didn't know that...The squeeze bottles are the same, but one has 'Clover' added to the label; the other has nothing...

I eventually tried them both, and the 'clover' honey is definitely sweeter...

I don't know how they get the honey bees to only eat clover and not elephant grass or whatever else they eat, but the 'clover honey' is the one all us schoolgirls choose!!!
Attached Images

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #63
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Rich, I've mentioned this before on this forum, but whenever I have one of those difficult choices to make, I ask myself "What would John Wayne do?". Do you think John Wayne would put honey in his coffee, never mind the special sugar, the "creamer" (I'm afraid to ask what that is), and the vanilla extract? Rich, I beg you as your friend, change your ways before it's too late!
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 09-14-2014, 05:11 AM   #64
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

... personally I think that a good coffee should be drank without any sugar nor honey, that's the best way to enjoy its real taste.
Unread 09-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #65
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

That is precisely why I labeled Starbuck's as purveyors of syrup. All that mocca, crapachino is NOT meant to be added to coffee. I'm always amazed at how many people these marketing companies have conned into believing they are part of the "coffee culture".
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #66
Patronen
User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZtovdg5Io

Maybe of interest to some.
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #67
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Hi Rich, I've mentioned this before on this forum, but whenever I have one of those difficult choices to make, I ask myself "What would John Wayne do?". Do you think John Wayne would put honey in his coffee, never mind the special sugar, the "creamer" (I'm afraid to ask what that is), and the vanilla extract? Rich, I beg you as your friend, change your ways before it's too late!
Norm
And for dinner, John Wayne would only eat fried beans??? (I watch his movies too!)

Let me take a quick look around my kitchen and describe the delicious delectable tidbits I have...

Fridge - Pepsi 12pk, A&W Root Beer 12pk, Cherry Coke 12pk, Butterfinger Bits, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Hershey's with Almonds, Tapioca, M&M's w/peanuts [42oz bag]. Up top - Garlic Triscuits, Ritz Garlic Crackers, spray-on Kraft Cheddar Cheese spread, Lay's Wavy Potato Chips, Sourdough Pretzels, Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts, and Sweet & Salty Almond Nut Granola bars.

And that's just the snack food! Yes, I'm a junk food junkie!!!

Today, I'm enjoying a mug of half & half LaVozza + Dunkin' coffee, with 6 cubes of white sugar and 3 heaping teaspoons of French Vanill Coffee-Mate creamer. And of course, clover honey. It's not bad.

I should mention how I like French Toast: Mix 2 eggs [scramble], dip bread in and put in fry pan, then put on plate and rub a pat of [salted] butter on each slice, then start dumping teaspoons of brown sugar on until you get a uniform 100% coverage at least 1/8" thick. The butter will hold the brown sugar in place while you cut & eat it.
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #68
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronen View Post
Dave, this video is almost complete... Aren't you supposed to smash up the beans on a rock with the butt of your SAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I don't know how they get the honey bees to only eat clover and not elephant grass or whatever else they eat, but the 'clover honey' is the one all us schoolgirls choose!!!
Rich, the variety of honey claimed on a label is sort of nominal. The beekeepers place the hives in areas where specific blooms (buckwheat, clover, etc.) are happening. Of course, the bees collect nectar and pollen from any flower, but since what is mostly available to them is the dominant bloom of the area at a given time, it is named after that. You're right, different honeys have different flavors and characteristics. As with maple syrup, the honeys that are almost clear, with delicate or flowery flavor, are premium. Buckwheat honey is near the color of molasses, and a stronger "honey" taste.

Oh, and don't get coffee stains on your pretty plaid skirt!

Quote:

Let me take a quick look around my kitchen and describe the delicious delectable tidbits I have...
In the top drawer of one of my file cabinets: Traditional Chex mix--value size, Original Ritz--family size, original Triscuit, smoked almonds, raw cashews--to be roasted in the toaster oven, tropical trail mix, kettle cooked potato chips--my favorite style-- plain salted, and finally a bag of Rold Gold. Perfect complement to surfing the Lugerforum--type with one hand, chow down with the other! I love garlic, but not in/on chips and crackers. Must be your Italian heritage! It's great sliced raw and thin, to top a nicely toasted piece of European style rye bread (not the Wonderbread version) or sourdough, with a swipe of mayo so the slices stick. Salt and pepper, maybe a layer of optional cheese.
Unread 09-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #69
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

You know, you could darn near hear your arteries clog up just reading these posts.
Unread 09-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #70
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronen View Post

That is going to be some stiff coffee by using 4 scoops of regular grind coffee in that small of an amount of water. I wouldn't sleep for a week!!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #71
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
That is going to be some stiff coffee by using 4 scoops of regular grind coffee in that small of an amount of water. I wouldn't sleep for a week!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
You know, you could darn near hear your arteries clog up just reading these posts.

Somebody once told me that John Wayne said, "When you wear high heels, you gotta be tough!"
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #72
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
...whenever I have one of those difficult choices to make, I ask myself "What would John Wayne do?"
My mother was a big fan of John Wayne. Also Clint Walker ("Cheyenne") and Alan Ladd ("Shane", "This Gun For Hire"). She loved those three. Wayne is the lead in my 2nd favorite western, "Rio Bravo". Ladd was great in "O.S.S" & "Shane".

I still think the Hollywood 'Western Gunfighter' was a lot cooler looking than the real ones...Tight tailored clothes; low slung holster; useless hat; walking boots...

Two of the only real-seeming Westerns I've seen are "The Long Riders" and "The Outlaw Josey Wales"...

...And they all drank cappuccino with creamer, honey and sugar...
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #73
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
My mother was a big fan of John Wayne. Also Clint Walker ("Cheyenne") and Alan Ladd ("Shane", "This Gun For Hire"). She loved those three. Wayne is the lead in my 2nd favorite western, "Rio Bravo". Ladd was great in "O.S.S" & "Shane".

I still think the Hollywood 'Western Gunfighter' was a lot cooler looking than the real ones...Tight tailored clothes; low slung holster; useless hat; walking boots...

Two of the only real-seeming Westerns I've seen are "The Long Riders" and "The Outlaw Josey Wales"...

...And they all drank cappuccino with creamer, honey and sugar...

From a demitasse cup and their pinkey finger raised...
Unread 09-15-2014, 04:14 AM   #74
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I grew up watching JOHN WAYNE films, one of my favourite films ever was "Cowboys".
Now if you ask a child you get the answer: " John whoooo?"
it's really sad.

Sergio
Unread 09-15-2014, 05:12 AM   #75
Patronen
User

[quote=

two of the only real-seeming westerns i've seen are "the long riders" and "the outlaw josey wales"...

...and they all drank cappuccino with creamer, honey and sugar... [/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUh5IShNwXo

advice from Chief Dan George
Unread 09-15-2014, 05:59 AM   #76
kzullick
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

My Mother liked John Wayne so much my brothers names are John and Wayne. No kidding!
kzullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #77
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

The Orange County Airport in Southern California is named after John Wayne in honor of his patriotism and service to our country in over 140 movies. There is a life-size statue of "The Duke" in the main terminal that's 9 feet tall! I passed through there a few years ago and found, naturally, that none of the eating places in the airport serve cream or sugar with coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JohnWayneAirportStatue1.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	43295  

Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 09-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #78
Grantas
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Shuddering ... drink my coffee strong and black, my partner however likes a "flat white" (double shot topped with frothed milk) No sugar in sight.
Use a CafeItaly setup for the flat white.
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #79
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
... There is a life-size statue of "The Duke" in the main terminal that's 9 feet tall! ...
Did they use a special lens when filming the Duke?

OK, another story. When activities involving different size people are filmed, there is an effort not to show how short some of them are, e.g. Alan Ladd, Audie Murphy. For long shots, often camera angle can mask these "shortcomings". In a love scene, they might be stood up on a box to even things out. This box has a special name:

I took a couple of courses from Rod Serling when I was studying communications at Ithaca College in the early 70s. He succumbed to complications on the table during bypass surgery the very next semester. He was a semi-local boy, from Binghamton, and his wife's family had a cottage on the West shore of Cayuga Lake,next to which they built their contemporary summer home. One class convened daily on Rod's back deck, with Genny Creme Ale. Anyway, he told a story about being on an awards show with Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart--all of whom dwarfed the 5' 4" Serling. He said, " There's nothing more humiliating than hearing the director, over the studio intercom, bark out, 'Bring out the Man-Maker!'"
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #80
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

One of my sisters used to drink 'Irish Coffee' every morning. Coffee + Irish whiskey [Bushmill's IIRC] with a large dollop of whipped cream on the top...That was a bit extreme even for me...

A little bit off-topic [but it's my thread so who cares?] but while looking for an offbeat pic of a schoolgirl to annoy Norm with I came across an oddball schoolgirl pic...A Japanese schoolgirl posing with an exoskeleton [pic attached]...

That wasn't the oddest part...The accompanying comments mentioned that in Japan, if one wants to gain attention to an ad, one must pose a Japanese schoolgirl with it...

That comment made me really uneasy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exoskeleton.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	43314