LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 09-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #21
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Here's my cappuccino from Crosby's gas & go/mini-mart. Cell phone pics, with about 10 people staring at me...

I asked the clerk what the brand name of the blend they dump into the hopper is...It's a no-name aluminum foil bag, no brand name, just 'distributed for Crosby's' on it...

The cappuccino is thicker than regular coffee, sweeter too (no sugar needed), so it's pretty much an all-in-one mix. It clogs fairly often too.

Good though...

Edit: Machine says Curtis 'Primo Cappuccino' and 'The Corner Cafe Coffeehouse'...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crosby_1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	43206  

Name:	crosby_3.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	43207  

Name:	crosby_2.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	43208  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
Ben M.
User

Keurig sort of sucks.

N'espresso is better tasting if you like these "puck" machines. but pucks can get expensive over time. but now they have refillable plastic/metal pucks you can add your own grinded coffee in.

machines are pricy, but if you stop going to starbucks and only use your machine at home, you save lots of money in each year.

we like this machine. the milk container (nozzle gizmo) cleans after each use and then you put it in the refrig so the milk not used can be used the next time. very clever design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLonghi-Nes...item4adb8aa191
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #23
1994Stoeger
User

Regardless of the machine used to make it, the end product is only as good as the raw starting materials. In many respects, the country of origin (e.g., "Colombian grown") doesn't mean nearly as much as the species of plant from which the beans were obtained; location of growth is important, but it definitely is not the overriding factor (contrary to all of the Juan Valdez advertising). The following Wikipedia link is a nice general overview of the scientific/botanical classification of the two major types of coffee beans consumed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee

More specifically, the two general species of beans are Arabica and Robusta (respectively):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffea_arabica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffea_canephora

In the coffee world, Arabica is the expensive/preferred bean whereas Robusta is the abundant, cheap stuff. Most mass-market coffees in the US are almost entirely made of the cheap, acidic robusta with just enough Arabica blended-in to make it tolerable. When shopping for coffees, it is advisable to purchase 100% Arabica bean products without flavorings (e.g., vanilla, cinnamon, etc.); flavorings are used to mask bad/off-tasting flavors in the coffee batch. After that is the roasting process - roasting burns the bean and the darker the roast the harsher flavor.

Some brands which sell 100% Arabica coffees in the US are Lavazza, Illy, and many of the Trader Joe's house brands/blends.

The way the professional coffee tasters for major coffee buying companies "taste" coffee is by brewing it fresh in small batches and slurping (not swallowing) a spoonful at a time then spitting it out. These are the people who are responsible for accepting or rejecting entire crops or freighter ships full of product, so they probably know what they are doing.

A good rule of thumb is if you don't like the taste of your coffee brand brewed straight, unsweetened, and unflavored, maybe you shouldn't be drinking it. Try a freshly-brewed coffee straight and it shouldn't be offensive to the palette - if you can tolerate it or actually like it straight, odds are you will like it even better sweetened, flavored, and creamed to your taste.

Last bit of unfortunate news for the aficionados out there, almost none of the major coffee purveyors out in the market actually use "good" coffee (e.g., majority Arabica) in their beverages. That is why they feel the need to add strong flavor agents like cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, etc.

Cheers.

References: In addition the to the Wikipedia links provided, much of the above is a synopsis of conversations had with a relative who retired as a professional coffee taster for a major corporation.
1994Stoeger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to 1994Stoeger for your post:
Unread 09-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #24
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Good info!

I HATE Starbucks coffee..It is always burnt tasting. I found out why. They over roast (burn) their beans because of all the flavorings added to their coffee's. That way they get SOME coffee flavor coming through the...whatever all that stuff is that people put in it. Nasty stuff.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 09-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #25
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I have tried Starbucks coffee 2-3 times, and have yet to see what folks think is so super. I tried a couple of different ones, with the same results. I just drink black coffee with nothing added, so maybe that is the problem.

I have consumed so many gallons of hospital coffee that one can stand a spoon up in it, perhaps my taste buds are shot!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #26
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I have tried Starbucks coffee once and did not think it was worth the price I paid for it.
Unread 09-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #27
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I think that the best coffee we ever bought came from rural Puerto Rico, and grown was roasted from fresh near where we bought it. Just a little roadside stand selling roasted beans. Venezuela also had some very good coffee.

The French Press process probably makes one of the best tasting cups of coffee. We've gotten lazy and are using a drip machine right now.

Time and excessive heat are the enemy of coffee flavor. If we're not using it for a few days, I store ground coffee in the refrigerator.

My YMCA recently put in a FREE coffee machine with 4 versions of coffee available. Now that's thinking!
Unread 09-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #28
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt1811 View Post
Good Lawd! I love everything about coffee.

But, yeah, field/cowboy coffee is the best on a cold morning and from a "clean" canteen cup; great ritual, great coffee and it warms your innards as well as your hands.

BTW, A tanker's breakfast is a cuppa joe and a Lucky Strike.

Gunny John
Boys, I lucked out in the first draft lottery held. One of the reasons college was attractive to begin with, other than meeting parental and other expectations, was the draft deferment it represented. I worked at the college radio station at Clarkson, and all staff otherwise not busy dropped by to wait for the numbers as they were drawn and announced, almost real-time, on the teletype (remember those?). My number finally came in, 327, and I never again attended an institution of higher learning after that unless it was my desire. ROTC was kinda fun, but once I got the year's requirement in, I didn't consider it a career path thereafter.

The closest I ever came to military style coffee was on a trail blazing trip to the hunting camp in the Adirondacks, of which my brother's friend was a member. In light of current state of ecology, I shudder to remember hacking the bark from enough trees to create blazes to follow back to camp by flashlight, later, during hunting season. I remember it snowed that Easter weekend. And I was awakened in the middle of the night by, I swear, a mouse running across my lips.

The coffee was horrendous the way we made it. The camp recipe dictated the use of an enameled sheet steel coffee pot, about a foot tall, and just about as big around at the bottom. This jobber went onto the wood stove until the water in it boiled--double duty 1)up to temp for the coffee and 2) hot enough to kill whatever accompanied it from the creek--and then the coffee was poured in by counting, not measuring, from a can of Maxwell House or whatever. At some point, an egg was added, probably for reasons in some urban legend. While sipping on his hand and heart-warming dose from a tin cup, my brother said, "If my wife ever served me coffee like this, I'd kill her." But all agreed it was invigorating and cheering as we watched the snow come down.

Rich, I think you've encountered something at the stop+go something categorized fondly as "Sisco's Finest"--or its equivalent. They have that purveyor in your area, too, right? They mostly peddle inexpensive goods and produce to restaurants, etc. which will never make it to a top-ten list anywhere in any category. Their offerings are known for being 'craptastic"!

Gunny, my first cig was one of my dad's Luckies, out behind the lumber pile when I was ! 5 or 6 years old. LS/MFT! My brother and I were busted in the process by the next-door neighbor.
Unread 09-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #29
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I was at the supermarket just now and saw they had Dunkin' Donuts coffee and LaVazza. I've never tried DD's coffee (but I love their buttercreme filled donuts) so I got 12oz of that. I'm going to the corner Tim Horton's tomorrow morning and try their fresh [20 min guaranteed] coffee. Maybe a breakfast wrap too, or whatever they have.

On to Crosby's. They have a web site, and a string of stores/gas & go's here in WNY. Oddly, their web site lists Subway and Tim Horton's ads.

http://crosbysstores.com/

I emailed them about their cappuccino and if it is available for purchase. I doubt they do, and even if they did, I don't think my present coffeemaker would process it.

I'll pick up a package of the LaVazza tomorrow too. I'm tired of ho-hum coffee.

I was number 80 in the 1969 draft lottery. I enlisted in the Corps in Dec and got my notification to report while I was in boot camp. We had coffee all through my 17 years in the military, and mostly it was good, as far as I can remember. I know we had C-Rat coffee quite often. Must have been good stuff, I don't recall ever throwing any out...
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 09-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #30
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default You're old if...

"Gunny, my first cig was one of my dad's Luckies, out behind the lumber pile when I was ! 5 or 6 years old. LS/MFT! My brother and I were busted in the process by the next-door neighbor."

you remember what LS/MFT stands for...as well as all the "dirty" versions!

1) Loose Straps Make Floppy...well, you get the idea.

Gunny John
GySgt1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to GySgt1811 for your post:
Unread 09-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #31
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Dave, I see the Cisco tractor-trailers drive by every day. I have no problem with having low-life tastes; I consider myself lucky to taste anything at all.

Which brings me to an off-topic comment...Cable had a hour on Modern Marvels yesterday about soft drinks. Coke, Pepsi, and Dr Pepper were the top three, no surprise...But that they each have 1.7oz of sugar in each 12oz can was quite surprising to me...

I drink 16oz of coffee in the morning [my entire breakfast], a can of Pepsi with lunch, and another can with dinner...Now, I have three level teaspoons of sugar in my coffee, so I'm trying to convert that to ounces...

(I also love MacDonald's french fries, but anything else there, not so much...)
Unread 09-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #32
Patronen
User

I have a Keurig at the house but just brew cheap grounds in it. As for coffee to buy outside the home which I really don't do often, I have found out McDonalds has really upped their game in the last couple of years and not priced in the stratosphere like Starbucks and Dunkin.
Unread 09-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #33
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It's the next morning; I went down to Tim Horton's and got some of their French Vanilla cappuccino. (BTW: Tim Horton was a retired pro hockey player who was killed in a car accident not long after launching the coffeehouse franchise).

The menu and cups don't indicate how many oz of coffee/cappuccino you're getting, so I chose a price near my beloved Crosby's gas & go cappuccino. $1.95 got me 12 fl oz (vs 16 fl oz for $1.75 at Crosby's). It was good, but not as good as Crosby's. Better than the hospital vending machine. But for more money for less, I'll stick to Crosby's. The TH cappuccino was made in a multi-mix machine quite similar to Crosby's. I was actually expecting a large 30+ gallon stainless vessel with chrome spigots, maybe a lever or two (to press the coffee), but just a PC tower sized plastic-looking machine. (WTF is a samovar???)

On to my home coffee. I picked up a 12oz packet of LaVazza and am trying it now. It is not bad, more like coffee than cappuccino [duh!] and I would say better than Folgers but maybe not as good as Maxwell House...I'll have to try more and get a 'feel' for it.

Here's a sampling of my morning ritual. I use two 'scoops' of coffee per 16oz mug. My coffee measurer is somewhat odd I guess; it reads "Measurex 29.6cc Rahway, N.J.". I don't know if 29.6cc is an oz??? Anyway, somewhere along the way in the last 20+ years (prolly my last wife, a nurse) I got this measurer which works good for my taste (the wife didn't).

I put a 'dollop' of honey in my mug along with the three heaping teaspoons of Coffee Mate and three level teaspoons of sugar. I haven't started using the sugar cubes yet, but I remember when my mom used to buy Bazooka bubble-gum-sized sugar blocks, so I got these for nostalgia. Someplace, somewhere, a co-worker told me that a pinch of salt in with the ground coffee gave it more flavor, and I've continued the practice over 40+ years...

Edit: I'd forgotten - A lady friend suggested I brew up a cup of white vinegar once a week to clean out the accumulated oils...Followed with a boiled water 'rinse'...I've been doing this for a couple years now, don't really notice any difference...
Attached Images

Unread 09-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #34
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

SH, You really have a complex process to your brewing. I find that I can live with about an ounce of liquid French Vanilla Coffeemate and regular Folgers or Maxwell House thru my drip machine, but the best tasting is using the first cup thru the machine. I also like the machine brewed Capuchino at my local gas station chain. Tom
Unread 09-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #35
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Here in Miami I can get the best coffee on almost any street corner.

Starbucks and other trendy purveyors of syrup, ('cause it certainly ain't coffee!) have never done well in this town.

We serve REAL coffee here!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 09-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #36
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Here in Miami I can get the best coffee on almost any street corner.

Starbucks and other trendy purveyors of syrup, ('cause it certainly ain't coffee!) have never done well in this town.

We serve REAL coffee here!
Alanint,

One day in 1991 in "Guest Worker Camp 15" (this was about 4 weeks after the cuttin' and slicin' had stopped, I was Battalion OD. (Yes, a Gunnery Sergeant as Battalion OD! Long Story, but I digress.)
A young Latino Corporal from Miami was my Bn orderly. At Taps he pulled out a small metal coffee making device shaped like a fat hourglass. He filled the bottom portion with water and the top portion he filled with a ground coffee his Mama had sent him. It was dark and it was ground as fine as snuff. He screwed that whole contrivance together and placed it over a Sterno stove. When it finished doing its thing he poured each of us a small portion in a demitasse (?) cup and added enough canned condensed milk to bring it to the top. We drank it slow while discussing his brand new baby daughter, Margaret, whom he had not met yet. We finished the coffee and he rolled into his f4rtsack and went fast asleep. I hopped into the OD's Hummer and "toured the Battalion area" for the entire rest of the night! I don't think I slept for the next two days. But, I digress. That coffee (Cuban Expresso?) was absolutely the best I've ever had!

I think I would visit Miami just for the coffee. (Gosh, I guess "Margaret" must be about 23 now!)

Gunny John
The following member says Thank You to GySgt1811 for your post:
Unread 09-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #37
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Thanks, Gunny!!

You were treated to the famous "colada", which is served all day, usually in those tini plastic cups hospitals hand you with pills in them, if you are out on the street.
A larger Styrofoam cup is usually sold with a number of tini cups for sharing in your workplace. Someone always brings one in when the pm is dragging. A nice cultural tradition that brings a workplace together!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #38
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt1811 View Post
...I was Battalion OD. (Yes, a Gunnery Sergeant as Battalion OD!
This was common on Okinawa in 1971. We didn't have enough officers (lieutenants) so SSGT's and GYSGT's stood OD. My LT somehow got the idea that when he was OD I would be happy to be the Duty Driver, and spend the night driving him all over the battalion. Duty Drivers never got ANY sleep. Post inspections, picking up msgs at BnHQ, officers mail call & individual letter delivery (they got two mail calls to our one), picking up midrats at the mess hall, manning the radio/phone (call ins every hour)...Duty Driver sucked the big Juan!!!

Demi-tasse sized coffee...Never had any; but I keep seeing TV news and TV show depictions of Iraqi & Afghani civilians drinking these Barbie-doll-sized cups of coffee and wondering how they keep from just chugging them non-stop until they get 12 or 16 ounces worth...
Unread 09-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #39
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Thanks, Gunny!!

You were treated to the famous "colada", which is served all day, usually in those tini plastic cups hospitals hand you with pills in them, if you are out on the street.
A larger Styrofoam cup is usually sold with a number of tini cups for sharing in your workplace. Someone always brings one in when the pm is dragging. A nice cultural tradition that brings a workplace together!
Alanint,

Do you know what kind of coffee they use?

On a trip to Italy a few years ago Pat and I wandered into a small neighborhood hardware store and, among the wondrous miniature machine tools I found one of the Coffee Makers the Corporal had used in Saudi. In bad Italian and worse English the store clerk (Great guy, but I digress...) explained how to use it without blowing up the stove. I just now went upstairs, dug out the machine, ground up some 8 o'Clock beans 'till they looked like snuff and made me two oz. of the evil brew. Half ' n Half to the top and I'm drinking it now even as we speak. It's great! But not as good as the Mid-night Cuban Expresso of so many years ago. (But, nothing ever will be. Right?)

"Duty Drivers never got ANY sleep. Post inspections, picking up msgs at BnHQ, officers mail call & individual letter delivery (they got two mail calls to our one), picking up midrats at the mess hall, manning the radio/phone (call ins every hour)...Duty Driver sucked the big Juan!!!"

Ain't it the truth! You know, Sheep, we must be twin sons of different mothers. But then most GI snuffies are, right John and Ron? Like my Dad told me once toward the end of his life (Top Turret Gunner, B-24, 50 Missions, Foggia), Son, (he always called me son, when he wasn't calling me something else, but I digress) he said, I wouldn't take a million bucks for the memories I have of those days... but I wouldn't give you a @#$%&$* nickel to do them over again."

The very best to all,

Gunny John

PS. I just finished my cuppa "Kubano" joe and now I have this urge to unbolt the doors from my little long-suffering Escape and "tour the Battalion area."
Unread 09-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #40
Dick Herman
User

I LIKE coffee strong, hot, black with no sugar. Years ago after we closed the local watering hole we went to my buddies house for coffee. His family was up watching TV. The coffee was an Italian blend that was rich in flavor, full bodied and ever so strong. When I started my third full sized cup my friends family where afraid that my heart would stop.

I wish that I knew what blend that coffee was.
Dick Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Dick Herman for your post: