LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
hansfischer007
User

Default Gun Bans..??

I watched the news yesterday...and they compared the shootings with one that took place in Britain approximately 10 years ago....and a large number of children were shot there as well.......now it appears that the whole country of Britain is in an uproar over it.....and the newscast made the statement that a number of legislators are considering passing a bill to outlaw.... all private ownership of firearms........if you think this couldnt be done.....look what happened in Australia......I remember an NRA special one Sunday......showing the cutting up of hundreds and hundreds of pistols...rifles...shotguns.....cut them in half with a giant commercial cutter.........so it can happen........all these folks rushing out to buy anything now before any "ban" comes in.......think about it......they have your name...address....and what you bought......so whats the use..?......oh well.......its just all scary.......and going back in time to the Lubys restaurant shooting in Texas so many years ago........you think what would have happened if only one of the people had a concealed permit...and could have stopped it....................God Bless the Little Children......Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
To use the car analogy:

They will be banning 'blue cars', because a 'blue car' was used in the assault.
The analogy I usually use is: Where was the debate about bathtub types, restricting the amount of water they can hold, how quickly they can be filled etc. after Andrea Yates killed her children? Everybody agreed that the cause of this tragedy was mental illness, but what if she had used an assault rifle?
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
The food gates have opened!!!
I think you missed an 'L' there...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #24
Curly1
User

It could be considered food for the gun grabbers.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Curly1 for your post:
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #25
Steve Lempitski
User

The armed neighbor response idea does bring up an interesting point - I guess it would depend on the location of the school. Many of the neighbors of the school where the shooting occured last week who were interviewed remarked they had heard the gunfire, but as the area was heavily wooded simply ignored it as hunters in the woods. I myself live on a coastal bay, where the duck and goose shooters have been banging away since October, so multiple gunshots would have been ignored by me as well.
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #26
lugercollector
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I was really surprised to read this report....it appears that mental illness and certain medications are related to many of these tragedies....

http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=school
lugercollector is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to lugercollector for your post:
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Now Thats Worth Reading !!!!!!!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugercollector View Post
I was really surprised to read this report....it appears that mental illness and certain medications are related to many of these tragedies....

http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=school
I read a similar 'report' and take it with a grain of salt.

Of course, mental health is always so private, that even very sick folks can still buy guns by lying; this is a 'loophole' that I really hope gets closed / but it must be done correctly or it can be used horribly.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #29
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
To use the car analogy:

They will be banning 'blue cars', because a 'blue car' was used in the assault.
Or cars with "fully automatic" transmissions.

Gunny John
GySgt1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #30
coverk
User

My prediction. Regardless of trying to restrict ownership of certain weapons, it will result I a new TAX for those who currently have them. Of course that will solve the problem.
coverk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #31
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

NRA had a constructive news conference this morning that was interrupted by a protester with a sign: "NRA Stop Killing Our Children".

NRA News Conference Transcript:

http://home.nra.org/pdf/Transcript_PDF.pdf

Blames Gun Free Schools Zones Act for attracting attacks.

Compares guarding money, celebrities, politicians and the president. "Gun" is not a bad thing in these contexts.

Calls for armed guards at all schools immediately. Each school needs their own solution. Obama eliminated funding for school security in budgets.

"National Schools Shield Emergency Response Program" to protect our children immediately; to be created by NRA. NRA will fund this program.

Properly trained armed good guys are the solution.

Former US Congressman (Arkansas) Asa Hutchinson. Former head of DEA to lead NRA effort. Lead independent team of experts.

Model comprehensive security plan based on latest technical information. Template set of best practices for every school in America to tailor to their own needs.

Armed trained school security personnel only one aspect of solution. Also local volunteers serving in their own communities.

Build upon NRA education programs.

- - - - -

Ended at 11:30AM.
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 12-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #32
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I watched the NRA speech. It makes a lot of sense to me, and they are starting a program to help keep this from happening again,.....rather than a bunch of politicians wringing their hands, and combing their hair so that they look good on camera. We all know that more gun laws won't solve the problem. Mental health is a very difficult problem to discover and handle, and our government would much prefer to NOT think about it, that way it will go away.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #33
Geo99
User

Banning all private ownership of firearms in this county would be impossible, not to mention political suicide. We are much bigger than Germany, England or Australia. Collecting 270 million guns already in private ownership is not politically or logistically practical, and I think too many of us would rather be called criminals than turn them in (in violation of the Constitution I might add). I do however think the administration could try to prevent future sales and purchases to unlicensed individuals.

The word they will seize on is REGULATED (as in "well regulated militia"). The govenment will claim they have the right to regulate gun ownership, even though it is an individual right. What no one will realize is that back in 1776, "regulated" meant "trained and disciplined". I don't hear anyone making this argument. If you substitute the word "trained" for "regulated, it makes perfect sense.

My predictions for 2013:
1. The "assault" rifle ban will be reinstated, without an expiration date.
2. Hi-cap mags will be permanently banned, I only pray the limit is not less than 10.
3. If we can hold them at this and no more ... everything will be fine.
4. The mass media buffoons will continue their Chicken Little gun control talk.

"More peple have been killed by Ted Kennedy's car than by my guns" .
Geo
Geo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #34
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Let's all try to remember that there are something like ten times more companies producing AR style rifles than there were in 1994. That makes for a very powerful lobbying group versus last time, with much more money to spend. There are MILLIONS of high cap magazines here in the US. There is no way these will be outright banned and almost anything that will be proposed will by necesity have a Grandfather Clause if it is to have a hope in hell of passing.
The NRA is adding an average of 8,000 more members per week than average and by the time This legislation is attempted cooler heads will have largely prevailed.
I'm not saying this is going to be easy, but the sky isn't falling quite yet.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #35
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

I have the impression that when many of the uneducated/uninitiated speak of a semi-auto, they are confusing it with full auto. And it baffles me, the "assault" weapon concept, because I've read that the same basic rifle my dad used to hunt deer, a 30.06, (Remington 700 ADL) was used as a sniper rifle in Vietnam. I tend to agree with the NRA's idea that style or fashion has as much to do with the classification of a gun as an assault weapon as some of the salient characteristics. NY's laws pretty much mimic the 1994 ban, but do not expire. Some parts are unenforceable (pre-ban or unmarked mags), or, in the issue of the term "flash suppressor" being undefined in the former federal ban's regulations (consequently no definition as it applies in NY due to our state's following suit with the feds back then, the missing definition is duplicated in state statute.), will eventually undergo testing in the courts at some point.

The cosmetic differences as applied in the former ban were not rational, but I believe concocted on an emotional basis to soothe the activists. After all, nobody wants to be "assaulted" with any kind of firearm. And isn't the round used in Dad's Remington more destructive than any NATO format? I'd be happier if these seemingly inevitable regs made sense when they arrive.

David Parker
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #36
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

This is an interesting study:

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/jerrylee/re..._final2004.pdf

Federally funded, this followed up on a series of studies called for in the original law (which is title XI Firearms of this document

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...3hr3355enr.pdf

Try as they might to swizzle numbers in the study, they were unable to show any effectiveness in:

- Reducing crime
- Increasing the price of "Assault Weapons"

They did document an increase in the price of "Large Capacity Magazines) of about 40%.

They included the quaint idea that criminals actually bought their crime guns...

Finally concluding:

"The findings of the previous chapters suggest that it is premature to make definitive assessments of the ban’s impact on gun violence."

- and that is 10 years after enactment of the flawed ban.

They admitted that "Assault Weapons" contributed to a very small minority of crimes. 2% or so in most cases.

They also showed that gun crimes resulting in death didn't change a bit over the first 8 years of the ban.

"But this still begs the question of whether a 10-round limit on magazine capacity will affect the outcomes of enough gun attacks to measurably reduce gun injuries and deaths."

"Similarly, neither medical nor criminological data sources have shown any post-ban reduction in the percentage of crime-related gunshot victims who die."

"If anything, therefore, gun attacks appear to have been more lethal and injurious since the ban."

Try as they might to swizzle statistics, the summary reads:

"9.4. Summary
Although the ban has been successful in reducing crimes with AWs, any benefits from this reduction are likely to have been outweighed by steady or rising use of non-banned semiautomatics with LCMs, which are used in crime much more frequently than AWs. Therefore, we cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation’s recent drop in gun violence. And, indeed, there has been no discernible reduction in the lethality and injuriousness of gun violence, based on indicators like the percentage of gun crimes resulting in death or the share of gunfire incidents resulting in injury, as we might have expected had the ban reduced crimes with both AWs and LCMs."

- - - - -

BTW, the Feinstein bill proposal was just released... They want us to register all "grandfathered guns" under the NFA...

This is making the rounds today, so I guess it must just have been released. It is official: Feinstein will be looking for registration of all “grandfathered” guns under the National Firearms Act of 1934 just like machine guns:
  • Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
    • Background check of owner and any transferee;
    • Type and serial number of the firearm;
    • Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    • Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    • Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
Find it at: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

At $200 per tax stamp, this will financially break a number of us...

Marc
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #37
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

BTW, if you look closely at what Feinstein is defining as an "Assault Weapon" (they include rifles and pistols this time) you'll find that our Lugers are considered "Assault Weapons".

How can this be? Well, under their new definition, if your firearm has military features, and can accept a magazine with more than 10 cartridges, it is an "Assault Weapon".

But our Luger magazines only hold 8 shots, right? Well that's true except for the Trommel Magazine. Since it holds 32, and our Luger can accept one (even if we don't have one) it's an "Assault Weapon".

Federal registration plays into the UN Weapons Ban strategy of having nations register firearms.

To pay for it all, the NFA transfer tax stamps at $200 apiece.

Here's the NRA-ILA Summary of what's known about the proposal.

Note that one of the provisions prohibits transfer of "Assault Weapons" from current owners, and mandates turn-in and destruction upon the owner's death.

Marc
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #38
Steve Lempitski
User

As written it "exempts antique firearms" Will be interesting to see if the ATF has to change the C&R lists
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #39
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

And the stupid get more stupid. Bill
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #40
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

An "antique firearm" was made before 1897. The ATF is unlikely to change that definition. They are not talking about C&R firearms.

Of course, there were very few semi-automatic firearms before 1897.

Marc