LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

For the sake of the parents and loved ones I hope no video was made. If one was made it should be filed away for very few to see. God help the parents if the media gets one. Bill
Unread 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoncomRetired View Post
When I'm out and about I am always sciencious of what's going on around me, force of habit I guess. Today I saw alot more mother's and father's out with their little kids holding on to them as to never letting them go. It was hard watching them and knowing the reason why they were spending time together today more than usual.
It is a shame that it takes a incident such as this to cause kids to be cherished.
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I believe they were always cherished but mearly a new reality that everyone one is vulnerable! "Safe" has a whole new meaning! Add an 'almost'!!!!!!!!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
padredan
User

roger that,
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
padredan
User

The gunman forced his way into the kindergarten-through-fourth-grade school, authorities said. He took three guns into the school — a Glock and a Sig Sauer, both semiautomatic pistols, and a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle, according to an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The weapons were registered to his slain mother, Looks like we now know what weapons were used , just not why. We know it takes no marksman to do this , but it does take someone with a warped mind, there can be no words to describe how these parents must be feeling.
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
pitsword
User

Forgive me, please! The parent or "weapon owner" is/must be held accountable for access to owned firearms. God knows that this Lady has been accounted for. We as owners must have ABSOLUTE, COMPLETE control of all of our weapons and accept that responsibility. We must insist that those among us that have weapons also accept this responsibility. I am a life member of NRA (Distinguished), retired military and I shall say "Merry Christmas" to all that I share this wonderful season of blessing with. Folks it is time to get back to what the good Lord helped us form this wonderful Nation on. Stand up, be heard, be humble, be grateful and be prepared. God bless us all. THAT IS ALL!
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to pitsword for your post:
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #27
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by padredan View Post
The gunman forced his way into the kindergarten-through-fourth-grade school, authorities said. He took three guns into the school — a Glock and a Sig Sauer, both semiautomatic pistols, and a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle, according to an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The weapons were registered to his slain mother, Looks like we now know what weapons were used , just not why. We know it takes no marksman to do this , but it does take someone with a warped mind, there can be no words to describe how these parents must be feeling.

Up to today, all of the reports have been that the 223 caliber rifle was in the car and the Glock & Sig Sauer were the weapons used.

The way things keep changing, it is difficult to believe what they are saying about some of the details. Remember, an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity said (at first) that it was the brother who did it.
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
padredan
User

roger that
Unread 12-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #29
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbuster View Post
...the problem of mental illness today is bigger than ever. The availability of guns simply lets such a sick person "vent"his anger more easily. This tragic event is just a symptom of poor recognition and treatment of mental illness in this country...
+10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
The real issue besides grieving for the loss of innocents is why were these weapons and ammunition not secured?
This fellow apparently had Asperger syndrome and the Mother was aware of it and it's symptoms. If this proves to be the case.. leaving the weapons of mass destruction available to a person with this type of mental problem is the height of stupidity. Irrisponsible weapons security seems to have cost her her life.
I think our pants would turn brown if we found out how many truly stupid, irresponsible people had access to firearms. It is, of course, our right to bear arms; however, I think we should treat it as a privilege--and there are too many who do not. This mother apparently allowed him to access three!
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #30
saab-bob
User

Incredibly sad case.
Since the shooter was apparently diagnosed with a mental condition,I want to hear from the Doctor,psychoanalyst,whoever, who certified this guy as"not a danger to himself or others" and let him out on the streets instead of being locked in a institution!
That person has some explaining to do!
Bob
Unread 12-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #31
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

There are cinics out there that are certain the "Assualt Rifle" was added to the mix later, since the aim of this administration is to ban these sort of weapons, regarless of the fact that it had NOTHING to do with this sad incident.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #32
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

They announced the names and ages of both the children and adults whose lives are lost this morning! Thats when it really hit me, when numbers finally had a real impact. The kept going on and on! I must commend those who are facing and trying to cope with this our nations' tragedy in our hearts, familys to our communities and nation. The scars are deep and will forever be a reminder. Its time to offer a longer hug, kinder words and a new reality of how precious our lives are. Times like this I'm especiallly proud to be an American and grandfather!
Attached Images

The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
There are cinics out there that are certain the "Assualt Rifle" was added to the mix later, since the aim of this administration is to ban these sort of weapons, regarless of the fact that it had NOTHING to do with this sad incident.
When it was announced yesterday that a 223 Bushmaster was used in the actual shooting, considering this admistration, Fast and Furious, Benghazi and heaven knows what else they have tried to cover up, the thought did cross my mind.
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #34
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab-bob View Post
Incredibly sad case.
Since the shooter was apparently diagnosed with a mental condition,I want to hear from the Doctor,psychoanalyst,whoever, who certified this guy as"not a danger to himself or others" and let him out on the streets instead of being locked in a institution!
That person has some explaining to do!
Bob
Very few people have been locked up since the early 1980s when the repubs decided that they should be mixed in with the general population.
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #35
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

A very sad incident. I even can't imagine how the parents and relatives suffers. But I think that the anti gun lobby will use this sad incident to go for their total goal, an almost total gun ban like in Japan.

This a the gun banners phantasy:
http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...deaths/260189/
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #36
Shadowsix
User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew1 View Post
Very few people have been locked up since the early 1980s when the repubs decided that they should be mixed in with the general population.

I am extremely saddened by this event & praying for the families hurt by this madness!

I do also feel that the mother was partially to blame for not securing her weapons properly. No securing of valuables or weapons is perfect but if done right can discourage those whose might try to steal them. The way I have my weapons secured by the time a thief was able to reach them the police would have been on the scene 10 minutes already.

What lew1 has said here is unfortunately very true. Very few mentally disturbed people are locked up anymore until AFTER they have perpetrated something horrible like this in our present world. Plus more than likely the shooter is usually killed & if not ends up in prison anyway. Asylums have been another casualty of our overpriced, malpractice litigation scared health industry.

The anti-gun zealots will try to use this to push more legislation that persecutes law abiding gun owners without trying to deal with the real issue which is trying to recognize these problem people and deal with them before they get to the point of doing these horrible things. They might as well try to also ban hardware stores for proving the components to make pipe bombs or even kitchen utensils because they can also be used to kill.

Sorry for the rant but this brings up a lot of emotion in me but I know it is nothing compared to the sorrow those families are experiencing in CT, the families from the mall shooting a few days earlier and also those suffering from the Aurora event of a few months ago!

Last edited by Shadowsix; 12-16-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Shadowsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #37
padredan
User

roger that
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #38
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

They may someday try to outlaw ammunition totally!! Back to flintlocks!
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #39
cdmech
User

Sometimes I wonder if the gun industry itself is doing us an extreme disservice. The more the anti-gun folks scream about "military-style assault" weapons, the more folks push back with sometimes seemingly in your face "tactical gear" and such. I've been amazed at the way firearms are being marketed lately. Almost like the next logical step in your video gaming. Bleeding zombie targets, zombie ammo, one commercial played on the radio for a local gun shop has a dad threatening his daughter's boyfriend with a shotgun. I know, funny stereotype and all, but really? At my local gun range, the people that buy into all this hype scare me, and certainely don't advertise for us well as they blast away at people silhouettes and zombies on the 100yd rifle range with their new "black ops" AR15's. Did you notice in the news the police have been questioning folks at the gun ranges to see if the shooter had been practicing for his mass murder there? I've even seen zombie targets that look like our President. People think its a joke, I don't.
Marc
cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to cdmech for your post:
Unread 12-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #40
Shadowsix
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmech View Post
Sometimes I wonder if the gun industry itself is doing us an extreme disservice. The more the anti-gun folks scream about "military-style assault" weapons, the more folks push back with sometimes seemingly in your face "tactical gear" and such. I've been amazed at the way firearms are being marketed lately. Almost like the next logical step in your video gaming. Bleeding zombie targets, zombie ammo, one commercial played on the radio for a local gun shop has a dad threatening his daughter's boyfriend with a shotgun. I know, funny stereotype and all, but really? At my local gun range, the people that buy into all this hype scare me, and certainely don't advertise for us well as they blast away at people silhouettes and zombies on the 100yd rifle range with their new "black ops" AR15's. Did you notice in the news the police have been questioning folks at the gun ranges to see if the shooter had been practicing for his mass murder there? I've even seen zombie targets that look like our President. People think its a joke, I don't.
Marc
Very true! I have never gotten the whole zombie targets & shotgun ammo thing. When I go to the range to shoot my shotgun it's to either do trap or skeet. I too have seen these bleeding zombie torsos, zombie paper targets, and exploding targets and figure it's video games and other entertainment media (movies, films) that is driving this and wonder a little about those who get into guns & shooting for that reason.

Shadowsix is offline   Reply With Quote