LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #61
TheRomanhistorian
User

I have a friend who owns a Glock in 9mm and they are reliable, I will give them that. We only see each other once a year (we go back to junior high school) and we always make it a point to go to the range (a Luger owner and a Glock owner) and trade off every so often whilst we're in the shooting lane. It's not a bad pistol and I enjoy shooting a Glock but they sure are not meant to look elegant! I think he owns it because it's reliable and easy to clean/field strip. He likes my Luger but he finds the Glock is less picky with ammo and parts and he wouldn't be broken-hearted as much if the Glock just stopped one day. To him, it's a tool which makes a good day at the range rather than a piece which is collectible.

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #62
Went Blakely
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_oil View Post
I'm an old school kinda guy. I love steel and wood, and while plastic may be ok for kitchen utensils, I have no love for the combat Tupperware. A Glock, to me, is like a hammer or screwdriver. It does it's intended job, and you put it back in the toolbox. There is a certain mechanical ingenuity , but absolutely NO aesthetic attraction to a Glock. In that sense, I guess it is aperfect VolksPistole and symbol of our time, mass produced, soulless and least-common-denominator driven. It appeals to those shooters who are just starting out, or who have knolwdge of guns only gained from Hollywood. I really don't know and cannot fathom the deep sense of loyalty that a lot of people have for these things, but that is fine. I will continue to acquire and shoot my Pythons, 1911's, Hi Powers, and now, Lugers. My son, who is 15 is just starting to become truly interested in the history of various firearms, told me that the historic guns are important because "they are history you can carry and stop bad guys with". That has a nice ring to it, I think.
Honestly quoted for reading my mind
Unread 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #63
b0xcrash
User

I do not own one just for the reason everyone and their brother(my brother has several, duty actually makes him carry one), has, wants or knows about them.
I hate fads and being a follower or owning or wanting something just cause everyone else has one.
It bothers me, its like the AK. You tell someone 2 years ago I have a Daniel Defense M4 v3((now they sorta made a name) and they say a what the heck...is that like a AK or something? Or tell them you have a M28/76, they have no idea. They have no appreciation for a well made accurate rifle.
But tell them you have a AK-47 they go all crazy,...but careful, get specific Romanian, Yugo, Norinco, MAK, etc. you lost them again.

Some of the Gen 4's I think it is, have spring issues...or had. They are great Austrian made guns, but not the best of the best or really for me.
b0xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #64
minigun
User

I'll add what others have said:

They are highly reliable.

At a reasonable price tag.

The "Hollywood and Police effect".

They are very, very simple; like in 5 main pieces-that's it!

They are accurate.

They are "modular" (many calibers and aftermarket accessories).

Everyone knows what they are.

Duty makes me carry one too. I like the Hk USP series better myself and I would pay the extra hundred bucks for the USP's.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #65
zinfull
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I have a Glock 30 for CCW and it is a nice little gun that shoots where I aim. It cost around $500 so if it gets confiscated I will not feel bad. I was doing training once and used a different gun with a thumb safety which I kept in the off position. During one timed round my safety was on and I did not make a single shot. The gun did not go bang when I pulled the trigger and the hesitation caused the time to expire. That is why I carry a Glock. I also consider a good holster part of the safety requirements.

jerry
zinfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #66
b0xcrash
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by minigun View Post
I'll add what others have said:

Duty makes me carry one too. I like the Hk USP series better myself and I would pay the extra hundred bucks for the USP's.
My uncles county makes them carry a Glock now(they use to be able to carry anything they wanted so long as armory approved and checked it out)
My brother is made to carry one on duty in his area.

My close friend department makes them carry H&K USP(he was detective, now shift supervisor), issues them USP C's and that is the nicest handgun ever, I love it.
b0xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #67
minigun
User

My favorite USP is the USP45c. I have one that I had the hammer converted to the "spurred hammer" variant. Then I switched the floorplates out from the flat floorplates to the extended floorplates. Made it one heck of smaller variant USP. I hate those darn "smooth hammers" on the USP compact series, but love the gun. Luckily the conversion is there from Hk or I would have probably dismissed the entire USPc series.

I guess my next favorite USP is the USP9f's. I have three of those with a bunch of 15 round mags. I again replaced all the flat floorplates on the mags with the extended floorplate mags.

The extended floorplates just make the grip on these better.

I don't mind the Glock 22 that my Department issues me. It's worked just fine, but I prefere the Hk's.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #68
uhlster
User

Unparalleled reliability, high accuracy (for those who are trained) and decent price point, in the most stressful of situations they will always perform and that's why they are my defense guns...
uhlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #69
rob00000
User

I remember the following that the Volkswagen Beetle had in the late 60's. I always thought they were butt ugly and the engine had a weird wimpy sound when they drove by you. I wouldn't get caught dead riding in one let alone buy one. On the other hand, people said they were pretty reliable, very easy to work on & the parts were interchangeable for years as the body style & engine parts remained unchanged.

Well, now here's the Glock. It's butt ugly, very lightweight, almost too light by many peoples standards. But, like the VW Beetle, it's reliable, very easy to work on & the parts including the mags are pretty interchangeable. Thus, like the Beetle, it has a loyal following.

I do own a Glock 19. Why did I buy it? A state police officer in my reserve unit said, "buy a Glock, you'll own that gun your whole life & probably never replace a part." I enjoy shooting it but I do prefer the weight of an all steel gun. I've shot the full size Beretta 9mm's in the Navy & qualified as an expert shot with some high scores & I believe it's partly because of the weight of the pistol. I shoot great with a heavy steel pistol as it seems to cut down on recoil & helps me line up my next shot quick. Also, I can hold a heavy pistol more steady in my hand then a lightweight one.
rob00000 is offline   Reply With Quote