LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #41
alvin
User

Ron, I just looked up NRA's Firearm Assembly Guide (which I used to disassemble that revolver). Security Six has 60 parts!! Later on, a local gunsmith assembled it back for me, he found a few parts were missing (I accidentally dropped clipboard box containing the parts on floor once. I thought I picked up everything....) Parts plus labor, I paid him $80.

NRA's guide is well written on disassembling. On putting it back, it simply says "reverse the procedure".... Lord.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #42
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lawman View Post
Not comparing Glock's "safeaction" to either double action (DA) or single action (SA). It's a hybrid. It's like a SA because each and every trigger pull is the same (first to last). It's like a DA because although the striker is "preloaded", you still need to move it back further with the trigger pull. The best comparison would be to a double only pistol such as S&W 5946 or the NYPD version of the Sig P226 (double only). Difference is longer trigger pull and exposed hammer moving in your sight picture. Neither of those double onlys has an external safety. Individual officers vary, but most shoot and like the Glock better. Brass wants consistent trigger pull, and you can't argue with brass... even if you win, you lose.
You're exactly right and I do know how a Glock works, but what you said in your previous post was that you won't lose any time manipulating the safety on a Glock, you just pull it and shoot it. What I'm saying is that if you don't use the safety on a gun that has one, you won't lose any time either. Just like you said about the Glock, you just pull it and shoot it. In other words: My point is that if you want to compare how safe and quick the Glock is compared with other guns, you need to compare them as being in at least somewhat similar condition. And I sure hope that the "bad cops" you're talking about don't carry their guns "cocked and unlocked"...

By the way: The only good thing about the Glock trigger is that it's consistent. On the other hand, it's also consistently rough, gritty and almost toy-like, and a buddy of mine compared it with rolling a box up a hill that has a sudden drop where you least expect it. This is of course an exaggerated tounge-in-cheek comment but personally, I can shoot much better with a heavier and longer trigger pull as long as it's smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lawman View Post
I wasn't referencing average citizens or new shooters. My post was specific to LEO's and supposed at least minimal regular training.
My comment to your post was actually in agreement with what you said, what I wanted to point out is that Glock is not as safe as people say it is unless you are well trained on this particular gun. If a gun requires a lot of training and practice to be operated in a safe manner, I would say that it's less safe than guns that require less training and practice. There is a place and a use for Glocks, but it's still too easy for private gun owners to think that Glocks are superior because so many LEO's use them. I guess my bottom line is that I'm afraid that too many fall in that trap.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #43
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I was trying to be facetious. my bad

Last edited by lugersrkewl; 03-09-2012 at 07:19 PM.
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #44
padredan
User

Well now, that should get a few responses. I think i will hold off on that one.
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #45
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

off topic - this world would be much better without guns. everyone would get along and there would be no fighting or death. If there was conflict it could be resolved by talking instead of war mongering. guns are the reason for all that is wrong with the world today. We should all smoke some medicinal marijuana and recycle our guns to build shelters for 3rd world countries.Only police and criminals should have firearms. :P

Skye..If this is a quote by some moron you should really add their name so it won't be attributed to you.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #46
rolandtg
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
Iif you want a lightweight gun, but the balance and recoil will change as you empty the mag so it's not nearly as great for controlled shooting. This was very obvious in my G32, those last rounds were actually quite punishing.
This is exactly my biggest problem with the Glock.
Maybe if I shot it more I'd get more used to it, but compared to my favorite, the Browning HP, it requires a lot more effort to hold it on target during rapid fire.
The Glock is not a bad gun by any means, but it has characteristics that make it unappealing to many people.
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rolandtg for your post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #47
kmichaels90
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
off topic - this world would be much better without guns. everyone would get along and there would be no fighting or death. If there was conflict it could be resolved by talking instead of war mongering. guns are the reason for all that is wrong with the world today. We should all smoke some medicinal marijuana and recycle our guns to build shelters for 3rd world countries.Only police and criminals should have firearms. :P

Skye..If this is a quote by some moron you should really add their name so it won't be attributed to you.
Wait somebody really said that?
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #48
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I did. sarcastically- my apologies if anyone was offended or taken aback didnt think it was a big deal , Ill be in the for sale section from now on
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #49
kmichaels90
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugersrkewl View Post
I did. sarcastically- my apologies if anyone was offended or taken aback didnt think it was a big deal , Ill be in the for sale section from now on
No thats fine I thought it was pretty funny just couldnt find where it was posted.
Unread 03-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #50
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Couldn't resist

Best Glock Commercial

http://www.youtube.com/embed/vsVCHE7ayPE?rel=0
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #51
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

That is one rediculous commercial! In the real World when the guy popped up from behind the counter he would have been flying to Valhalla in a hailstorm of lead. I don't know where they would find Police Officers with that kind of restraint.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #52
pitsword
User

Not sure about Anton Glock, but his wife is very very hot. Whips and chains. That is why Glock is Hottt.
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #53
Jack Lawman
User

Default Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
I don't know where they would find Police Officers with that kind of restraint.
Texas... amongst many other places:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3zH38viPA

Here's my favorite 1911 commercial:
(TURN OFF SOUND IF LITTLE GUYS ARE AROUND)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgjGtaiXIw

Jack
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #54
padredan
User

I like this one http://www.dialoginternational.com/d...st-export.html , over the weekend i have had four people ask if i still had the glock forsale, they were looking to buy one.
Unread 03-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #55
CavScoutEurope
User

I carry a S&W J frame in .38 Special. I like it because it will fit in my pocket. I also have a Glock 26 and I hated it before I put the mag extender on! My fingers would just hang off and it didn't feel good. Now it is just fine. I'm still a little hesitant to carry the Glock just because it does not have a safety and I really don’t want an accidental discharge.
CavScoutEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #56
conehammer
User

and I thought I was the only one that thought they are butt ugly!

jerry
conehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #57
Went Blakely
User

Some may shoot me 'pun intended', but I would say I despise the Glock pistol.
I don't know if it comes from all my M1911 love. I don't know if it's just 'too' generic a design for me. I know they work well and have a certain degree of reliability.
Just.
Don't.
Like.
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #58
tx_oil
User

I'm an old school kinda guy. I love steel and wood, and while plastic may be ok for kitchen utensils, I have no love for the combat Tupperware. A Glock, to me, is like a hammer or screwdriver. It does it's intended job, and you put it back in the toolbox. There is a certain mechanical ingenuity , but absolutely NO aesthetic attraction to a Glock. In that sense, I guess it is aperfect VolksPistole and symbol of our time, mass produced, soulless and least-common-denominator driven. It appeals to those shooters who are just starting out, or who have knolwdge of guns only gained from Hollywood. I really don't know and cannot fathom the deep sense of loyalty that a lot of people have for these things, but that is fine. I will continue to acquire and shoot my Pythons, 1911's, Hi Powers, and now, Lugers. My son, who is 15 is just starting to become truly interested in the history of various firearms, told me that the historic guns are important because "they are history you can carry and stop bad guys with". That has a nice ring to it, I think.
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #59
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

You are probably preaching to the choir here. I've never owned or even fired one and if I die sans Glock that will be just fine with me. But, having said that, Glock owners say that they just simply work. Dead nuts reliable. And there is something to be said for that. Bur I see it like riding an old British motorcycle. It's not just about getting somewhere, but it is also about the journey along the way.
Of course my answer might be different if someone is shooting at me...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #60
padredan
User

Glocks are what they are tools, they work and now from what i read they have 62 percent of the law enforecement market. so they are doing something right. It maybe advertising? Once glock gets those quantity police dept orders it sometimes just snowballs and like we have said they do work. I own several of them . Actualy the gun you do not mind putting through the mud and the muck, it's not going to hurt the looks of it anyway.