LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Closed Thread
Unread 10-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #21
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Timeout!

Hi chaserII, definitely an interesting viewpoint... it would be fun to discuss it ...but I doubt that you'll be here long enough?? ... as you obviously didn't read the previous post .....sooooo, best of luck to you! til...lat'r....GT
Unread 10-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #22
ChaserII
New User

My point exactly. It all depends on who's eye you poke the stick in.

The Taliban has the same point of view. Is that what it's coming too?

I don't recall that Jesus taught that. I do recall forgiveness and tolerance. Something sorely lacking in this thread. With the exception of one or two.

Have a good day
Unread 10-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #23
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default missed point!

Hi chaser II, your reading skills seem to be fine.. but, your ability to comprehend seems to be a bit bent... nobody knows you?? You come outta nowhere?? Your comments are from left field...You really don't warrant a response ... I think maybe your the same guy that has the rusty "fxo" mag??... It's really quite simple..this is a Luger forum, either talk Lugers, or...go away! Have a nice day... til..lat'r...GT
Unread 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #24
Ron Smith
User

No Comment...
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #25
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Hi Ed,

I am not sure what issues you feel anyone has been pushing...

All I see are the expression of opinions... and replies directed to comments based on other and opposite opinions... I have reread the entire thread and although the thread is Off-Topic, it doesn't seem to fit the category of a violation of the rules in the forum decorum...

I thought I had been pretty clear in stating that... I support Ron's original premise wholeheartedly...

As Pipeman45 said, I may be in disagreement with some of the sentiments in this thread, but will defend their right to express them here as long as they do it in a civilized manner.

I do see now that my original invitation for discussion may have been misinterpreted because of my choice of words and opened the door for public discussion, and that was not my intent... I have modified my last post to clarify that I was talking about private communications of those concerned...with me personally and I have already started receiving inquiries...

As far as continued discussion here, while not prohibited, I suggest we take Ron Wood's initial advice about letting sleeping dogs lie...

If you and I need to talk off line, please let me know.

Best to all of you, especially Ed.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #26
lugerluser
User

Well I know someone is up there!! After all, The Redskins Won this weekend!!!!
Unread 10-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #27
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

This is a rather interesting discourse.

From where I sit, I can not think of any reason to tag a contribution to this forum with a line that blatantly throws in the faces of most contributors. Whoever this fellow is, I imagine that he may be at the same stage of life's travel as I was so many years ago.

I started out life as a very dedicated Episcopalian (devout is a word that would never be used to describe an Episcopalian). When I went away to college and became educated and knew everything there was to know about any subject I declared myself a proud atheist. In addition to atheism I also spent an inordinate amount of time chasing girls, hunting and drinking.

Consequent to my enlightened life-style I soon found myself a member of the Yankee army (1969). At this point in life I began to reevaluate my position vis-avis atheism and took the cowards way out by calling myself an agnostic, just to be safe.

After the army I became the father of two little tiny humans and thought my position through to where I felt that there probably was a God.

Now at 59 years I pray that there is a God. I guess I'm just not as smart as I was in college. Nowadays if I want to challenge someone I do it by questioning what's in their head not in their heart.
Unread 10-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #28
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default a good lesson in your words!

Very, very well spoken George... a lot of reflection in your words.... I agree wholeheartedly! I can tell you've been thru a few tight or tough trama ones... best to you George, til...lat'r....GT BTW, to all, I'm over my snit now... so, it's back to normal GT for me!
Unread 10-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #29
Luke
User

George -

You and I traveled the same road. I am just thankful I didn't die during those agnostic college years when, like you, I was certain I knew everything. Interesting commentary.

Regards,
Luke
Unread 10-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #30
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I am sorry ToggleTop, but I know of no justification why this thread should be deleted... it is a perfectly legitimate Off-Topic thread...

With that said, I am really confused as to why this thread has caused so much uproar... There has been only expression of personal opinion...

Maybe all should re-read my last (previous) post in this thread... yeah the one with the photo... if this thread isn't your thing, then please just move on to some other thread... my continued advice is just let sleeping dogs lie... This thread will die it's own death due to lack of interest in short order.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #31
lugerluser
User

Waste of time?! No way! Come on guys, We live, we learn. By the way, I am sure the gentleman we speak of has read all of this. I would like to say to him: Don't take all of this the wrong way and WELCOME. You sparked a conversation and it made me think. What did I learn, Well I learned that George is a man I would want to know a lot better! Thanks, Sean.....
Unread 10-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #32
stymie
User

I wrote this for a friend of mine... a confirmed atheist

"Food For Thought"

Too often we cannot see the forest for the trees. I believe that the answer to your search lies within your own reach. Life is a *gift*... a morality play... a test of wills & strengths... double-bind scenarios without clear cut options. I believe that *we*... all things in the cosmos... are manifestations of God... we are all created in His image & the corollary holds true as well. We all have a common ancestry... even today, the human genome project shows very little difference amongst us all... a shared bond as it were. To use an analogy... our souls are like cells in a synergistic totality... a collective spirit with a purpose... a destiny to fulfill. Do we need empirical data to see the complexity, the harmony, the beauty in the world about us... the eco-system, the geometry of space/ time, the mathematics of music... the seemingly random chaos of true order? The cause & effect chain is an equation that goes far beyond man's intellect. We have a choice... to ignore our destiny... to live like animals or to share our humanity... our compassion. There are forces of good & evil in this reality... that we use to create or destroy. If you study quantum theory... you soon realize that we are merely overlapping fields of energy & matter waves. Perhaps nothing exists outside the mind of God. The macro/ micro-cosmic world of infinite variables & possibilities flow between us as a universal thread. There is a common denominator... we all have our origins in the beginning of time itself... the moment of creation. Out of the nothingness that is the void of space, come the building blocks of all things. The fusion of existence & nonexistence, matter & anti-matter, life & death, good & evil... these are all elements of a system that abides by irrevocable rules. What we call the past... what we call the future... are all illusions separated by an *eternal* now! There is a vibration... a harmonic that permeates this dimension... on all levels... that is the life force. I believe in an evolution that dates to the inception of this phenomena... that of a *directed* intelligence that preceded the "Big Bang". There exists a dynamic tension... a differential that lends itself to study; chemistry, biology, physics & mathematics can only delve so far. A man needs to look inside for the answer... we are all in the image of God & therefore a manifestation of that power. The *host* organism will pass recycled forever while the *spirit* becomes One with the source of all things. Through engineering, we see the works of man... the trees of knowledge manipulated to the will of what our aspirations dictate. We create our own heaven & hell. Our passion to go beyond our own transcendence is our life blood. When our will becomes the will of our own divinity... we can only then see our true nature. God Bless!

Unread 10-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #33
wterrell
User

This thread is thoroughly enjoyable and the thoughts given here reinforce my fondness for the members of this community. I have traveled the very same roads that many here have trod and found I had gone the wrong direction. But without turning back, we all arrive at the same unavoidable place. And here we are, sitting by the side the road, trying to unravel the knot of human life and death.

This is a wonderful forum!
Unread 10-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #34
Crotalus
User

I'm more interested in whether John took that picture himself than I am in the argument at this point.
Unread 10-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #35
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Nah, I got the photo in a Google search for sleeping dogs... I thought it was a pretty funny photo! and quite appropriate for the discussion.

Unread 10-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #36
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default photo??

Hey John, Remember very, very early on, when there wasn't any photo of me in the gallery.. and either you or doc posted that very interesting (GT sighted!) photo of me... perhaps you still have that... I laughed my butt off on that one... post it if possible, best to you, til...lat'r....GT
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #37
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sorry GT... that was John D. I think... I don't have a copy of the photo you are referring to... perhaps he or some other member has it in their library...

How's you healing and PT coming from your rebuild surgery?

Unread 10-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #38
NavyLugerLover
User

My religion is "Luger"
My Bible is "Lugers at Random"...

Just a joke, but in my case, it is not false!

And I never believed Santa Claus was real...

I understand and I aggree with the people who need to believe in something, until these people dont force me to believe.
But I prefer to hear a bell when I open my windows in the morning, than a roaring guy stricking in my "atheist" ears 5 time a day...
Unread 10-05-2006, 07:32 AM   #39
Steinar
User

Santas not real?? ..so that's the reason I don't get those Lugers for Christmas

Anyway.. I will still try to be a nice guy throughout the year, not poking good people with sticks. Who knows what more there is, if not Santa.. One thing is out there for sure, that would be other peoples feelings, see no reason messing with those.
Unread 10-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #40
Roadkill
User

Having been DRT and thankfully having a qualified nonsqueamish medic closeby who really knew what he was doing I tend to lean to the believer side. You'd never play Russian roulette with an 1911A1, never step in front of a bus doing sixty, never step off a 100' bluff with boulders below, ect, ect, but you'd take a position you aren't sure of which will last a real long time. Go ahead. Take a chance. Not like you won't have a lot of time to think about it once its all over. In fact, if you are so damn sure, end it all right now. Step on over. Only one way to find out. Not as if we are going to live forever anyway.
Closed Thread