LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #41
Rod WMG
User

Humm...do you know if you've touched something off when you light up that derringer? I have some .44 mags and a certain Smith Mountain Gun is the hardest kicking gun I own. Worse than my 454 Casull, but that's heavier with a totally different design.

I can imagine a lightweight derringer with a hot 300 gr. load would be pretty awe inspiring!

Morgan, it's too bad about your political situation. My sympathies. An arsenal under the bed sounds like a good thing.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 02:19 AM   #42
G.W. Gill
User

I found my American Derringer M-1 at Prager's Gun Shop in Orlando. The owner offered to let me shoot it. Boom! . I bought the grips from American Derringer and have fired it about fifty times. You have to hit the drum center or it will deflect leaving a deep groove. It is a good hideawy with a choice of loades. I prefer to keep a shot load and a lead round in it. I don't like the price of the shot loads, so I am going to make my own with a Lee reloading kit. I recommend as a snake or human protection. It has doubled in price since then. I don't know about value now. I still recommend it . It is probably as powerful as a .44 mag snubnose revolver. Just two shots.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #43
Rod WMG
User

Lots of folks use the shot loads with stellar results apparently. I have shot rattlers with them and never killed one outright. Always had to use a real bullet to do the job. I have about twenty or so .44 shot loads I have no confidence in and probably will never shoot them. Wish my experience with them were better.

Glad you like the derringer. I've considered one of those from time to time.

Is that the one where the company owner likes to dress up to display her products?
Unread 05-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #44
thegundude
User

My personal carry gun is a S&W Chiefs Special in .45 ACP...

In my neck of the woods I'm more likely to see a Black Bear with bad intent than the two legged kind. But it'll work for either...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #45
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Very nice carry gun Steve.. I would like to try one of those myself... what does it weigh loaded?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #46
Paul L
User

Will add my .02 cents to this.....having carried for going on 17 years now....

I started out carrying a semi tricked out Colt 70 series Combat Commander in 45......
Then went to a Glock 19 .. 9mm my 1st hi-cap pistol and carried this for many years and still do on occasion........
Now for the last 9 months have been carrying a Glock 27 .40 cal with nite sites and a plus two floorplate installed for extra rounds and better finger grip on bottom and no sacrifice of concealability........

If i can hide it well enuff in summer heat and sweat and need big bore, my custom SS Colt 80 series Officers model in .45 or 70 series Lightweight Combat Commander in .45

These are all main carry choices.....backups are .22 NAA Derringer, can hide it anywhere, Charter Arms DA only 22 Mag derringer, in wallet holster, Italian Galesi .25 acp, or snubnose SW model 36 or Taurus SS .38 snubnose

Walking in woods would be SW model 29 8+ incher in .44 to stop whatever, wild boar, coyote, wild dogs and such.......or any of other guns mentioned
Tho i have been known to carry my class 3 Ithaca 13" 20 gauge slam fire when i feel the need for FUN........
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 02:28 AM   #47
drm2m
User

Please do not take my comments the wrong way. I donâ??t carry a gun, I am not licensed to carry a gun. I find the whole subject uncomfortable, maybe because I live in a setting where it is not necessary. Short of law enforcement or military, or if you live in a city/town where your safety is questionable, why would you want to carry?
The finality of being wrong with a firearm is as bad as it gets.
Do you people live in an environment where you really think you need this type of protection? I canâ??t imagine it,â?¦ so please forgive me.
Protection of your home and family, if threatened, I can understand.
I love collecting firearms,â?¦and have lots of themâ?¦.I just donâ??t like what guns can do under the wrong circumstances.
I would very much like to understand why you think you need to carry one on a daily basis,..if that is the case.
David
drm2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #48
Steinar
User

It surprises me also that so many of you guys carry firearms on a daily basis.. Not even the police are allowed to carry firearms here in Norway. If a situation where use of firearms is needed, the police must get permission to bring their firearms from either the police station or to open a locked â??safeâ?? in their vehicle (most vehicles is without) .
Not that Norway is a country with few civilian firearms among the population, almost one pr citizen. If also include military firearms that is legally stored in civilian homes, there is more than one for every citizen of any age.
Donâ??t get me wrong in any way, I truly respect the choice of carrying protection if it is needed. For me it is enough to have a shotgun â??readyâ?? under the bed, in case unwonted visitors enters my home during the night. But I would probably have just as sweet dreams (of Lugers) if I didnâ??t have any..
You guys sure have some neat guns! Lets hope there will never be use for them as protection.

With best regards
Unread 05-22-2006, 07:33 AM   #49
policeluger
RIP

drm2m.....no one lives is a setting where it is not necessary to be armed for self protection, you are lucky you have not needed it so far and will be ill prepared when the time comes, and you are correct that I also do not like what guns can do under the wrong circumstance....but I chose to protect my family and self, and have the right to do so, I would hate to have to trust the RCMP to arrive to late to help....having hunted and fished Canada for over 15 years, I have found most Canadians seel the same....can't wait for fall moose hunt once again in BC, just hate not being able to travel with some handy form of protection....best to you.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #50
Rod WMG
User

Since we're being honest (but I hope not disagreeable), I cannot understand the feeling that one should not go armed.

The carrying of a handgun/firearm for defense is just that...for defense. It is to be used only in a desperate situation to defend the life and person of an innocent. I almost never have felt in a situation where I might need one, but it has happened. The guy who wanted me to run a red light so he
could too and got really p.o.ed when I wouldn't, chasing and threatening me, came very close to having my weapon pulled on him. The kid who rammed me on my motorcycle for fun when I was stopped was met with the threat of my fists (I wasn't carrying) and ran. I considered that an assualt on my life. There have been other times; not many, but they have happened.

If anyone has not been threatened, be prepared, it's likely to come. And not when expected.

I do my best to stay out of unsavory places and potentially dangerous ones. The firearm on my person is one more layer of safety for me and mine. I pray God I never have to use it.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." U.S. Constitution.
Unread 05-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #51
Rod WMG
User

Since we're being honest (but I hope not disagreeable), I cannot understand the feeling that one should not go armed.

The carrying of a handgun/firearm for defense is just that...for defense. It is to be used only in a desperate situation to defend the life and person of an innocent. I almost never have felt in a situation where I might need one, but it has happened. The guy who wanted me to run a red light so he
could too and got really p.o.ed when I wouldn't, chasing and threatening me, came very close to having my weapon pulled on him. The kid who rammed me on my motorcycle for fun when I was stopped was met with the threat of my fists (I wasn't carrying) and ran. I considered that an assualt on my life. There have been other times; not many, but they have happened.

If anyone has not been threatened, be prepared, it's likely to come. And not when expected.

I do my best to stay out of unsavory places and potentially dangerous ones. The firearm on my person is one more layer of safety for me and mine. I pray God I never have to use it.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." U.S. Constitution.
Unread 05-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #52
Rod WMG
User

Unread 05-22-2006, 02:29 PM   #53
drm2m
User

Home protection is a totally different issue,..(Although, the safe storage laws clearly dictate that you are not permitted to have a loaded firearm under your bed.)

...My initial comments were really related to carrying a concealed handgun on a daily basis.

In Canada, short of being associated with law enforcement or certain types of security firms, getting a license to carry, (in my understanding)
is extremely difficult to get. You better have a very good reason for it,...and even at that,...I don't know how easy it would be.

Perhaps some other Canadians that are more knowledgeable than I am with this part of the Canadian gun laws might choose to comment.

I am sure opinions on this subject are highly influenced by the gun laws in the jurisdiction where you live, as well as the crime element in your particular community.

The whole notion is so foreign to me; I guess I never really gave it much thought. Perhaps if our laws permitted it, and there was a legitimate need for it, I might look at it differently.

If you are carrying, the chance the gun might be used when it may not have to be, is always the risk. We are not always that wise when it comes to decisions that have to be made quickly, where the consequences of being wrong can be so final.

As a collector, I would never want to put myself in a position where my right to maintain my collection was jeopardized by stepping across the line of what is illegal as far as firearms are concerned. It takes too long to build a collection,â?¦.. to risk loosing it in a moment of bad judgment.

The whole subject of handgun ownership has been a fairly sensitive issue in Canada, as you may know. Many of you may be fortunate enough to live in a place where the laws are far more liberal.

I am sorry if I deviated from the original theme of this thread,â?¦.. Please forgive me.
David
drm2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #54
Steinar
User

If I where grown up in a country where it was common to carry, I would probably do the same.. It is every mans right to defend himself and his loved ones. The world is sadly not as safe as we sometimes wish..
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:27 PM   #55
thegundude
User

Quote:
Originally posted by John Sabato
Very nice carry gun Steve.. I would like to try one of those myself... what does it weigh loaded?
I have no idea John. I don't even have a bathroom scale to weigh it with...

It doesn't weigh much though. I carry it everyday, everywhere. Not much for target practice but it sure does rip open the center of IDPA targets...

If you ever want to borrow it, just let me know. I can work something out...

~Steve
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #56
thegundude
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod WMG

What Rod said, x three...

There isn't a person on the planet who values his life that doesn't have just cause to carry a gun on a daily basis.

The time you need your gun the most is not the time you will have opportunity or time to retrieve it from a hidden and locked space, nevermind load it once retrieved. Only when a gun is as accessible as a pocket knife will it be as useful when needed.

"Just Cause" to carry only requires one to value one's own life, IMHO.

~Steve
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:55 PM   #57
Parabellus
User

During the â??70s I studied Asian martial arts extensively. I would walk the streets of San Franciscoâ??s Chinatown and Tenderloin, often late at night, often alone. There were shootings on a regular basis but I was lucky to never have been near one although I missed the Golden Dragon Restaurant Massacre by only a few hours; someone I was acquainted with was in fact hit. I never felt compelled to carry a weapon beyond a small (legal) knife. I was young, strong, quick, and (over)confident. I did know that my teacher was packing a piece. I had no desire to own a gun. I always believed in the Second Amendment.

Fast-forward thirty years. I live in the suburbs with my wife and kids, now practically grown. I am older, weaker, slower, and less confident. Mostly, though, I have much more to protect.

My boys always liked to play with toy guns and learned to use a pellet pistol, cross-bow, and bow-and-arrow. My admonishments were to never point such a device at another person and not to be displaying real-looking toys in the neighborhood.

Now the people of San Francisco have voted away their right to own handguns in their homes. Now that guns are outlawed only the outlaws (and the outnumbered police) have guns.

Meanwhile I am compelled to teach my boys and my wife how to safely own and use a handgun. My wife, who has been interested in the subject for some time, seems to prefer a Walther PPK in 9mm all black. I decided my weapon of choice had to be a 9mm Luger. I now have a nice little shooter on the threshold of collectibility and I expect to get more variations in the future. Ultimately I will probably settle on a .38 special or .357 revolver for home protection but never expect to pack.

Russell
Unread 05-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #58
thegundude
User

FWIW, a nice short barrelled (18") 20 gauge shotty makes the perfect home defense gun.

Or you could getcha one of these... (but not in Cali)

~Steve
Unread 05-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #59
pipeman45
User

Drm2m. May I try this from another angle?
Do you carry a jack and spare tire in your car?
I'm sure the MP would call you a tow truck if you have a flat.
But it may be awhile before they get there.
I carry for protection only. I have had training and would hate to ever have to use a gun against anyone. I would give up cash,cars, and other property and walk away if allowed to do so. It is there only as a last resort to protect my family and self. I would much rather have a gun and never use it- than need it and not have it.
Unread 05-23-2006, 04:33 AM   #60
Steinar
User

"I would give up cash,cars, and other property and walk away if allowed to do so. It is there only as a last resort to protect my family and self. I would much rather have a gun and never use it- than need it and not have it."

Good to hear

This tread has gone a bit out of the original topic.. But for those of us who live in a society where ONLY the criminals carry firearms on the street, it is important to clarify that the culture and way of life is a somewhat different. And that not all people that carry are criminals. As I believe those of you who carry know that it is a mean of last resource and use it as a personal protection.
Some few years ago I drove from NY to San Fransico in my vacation. For economical reasons, I often slept in my car along the side of the road. And I never felt unsafe, anywhere. From my eyes, USA is both beautiful and safe. I have been in Libanon in the late 80â??s and Afghanistan just after 9/11, and briefly seen the wrong end of AK74â??s. But I never fired my rifle. ..that only happen when executing wild dogs. But it gives a feeling of security if you are afraid. I guess thatâ??s what itâ??s about, I canâ??t see how anyone can judge others for choosing to do so.