LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-30-2005, 02:05 AM   #21
G.W. Gill
User

Lets keep this subject going. How about sliding a PO8 underneath a bed on a non sealed floor. I did it. And left it there for a year.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2005, 06:41 PM   #22
P. J. Heck
User

Had a pair of aluminum exhaust manifolds from a 1962 Pontiac factory drag race car (yes, factories made drag racing cars back then!!!!) . Took one to display rare and unique items at a show. Left the other in a Buick wagon. I junked the wagon to the local crusher a short time later, need I say more??????? Recently looked at mint cond. 1940/42 at 83 year old vets house. Whole top of the gun was frosted (like inside some bores), he had laid a banana peel on it coming home from Europe.
Unread 09-02-2005, 06:46 PM   #23
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by hqbmw
I hear it already, stupid newdie, "imagine,taking a razor blade to a collectable....."
uhhhhh, no, because I've done, I mean, my cousin's friend did the same type of thing, just trying to remove a bit of rust...
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2005, 11:22 PM   #24
c3006
User

Im glad I didnt do this but in 1980 I watched my best friend trade a swiss luger and a good first gen colt SAA for a console color tv,still makes me gag.
Unread 09-24-2005, 09:06 AM   #25
stantheboltactionman
User

My story..bought a set of what I thought were original Mauser luger grips
on ebay for $100. They turned out to be reproductions which had been made to look old. Buyer offered no return policy.
Thanks to you guys I now know better! ANYBODY WANT TO BUY SOME GRIPS???
Thanks,
Stan
"This year will go down in history. For the first time,a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer,our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler, 1935
stantheboltactionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #26
Ron Smith
User

The stupidist thing that I have done is to start collecting them. NOW I CAN"T STOP!!!

Fur bearing Adder eh!? Must be in the same genis as The Central Cascade Snow Snake, and the dreaded and rare Hawaiian Pineapple Boa.

I really hate those things!!

The Spiney Snollygoster ain't no fun to run into either.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #27
Shawn v. Il.
User

One of the MANY stupid things I am guilty of comes to mind when I wore an Original 1915 dated Luger holster to a WW2 reenactment at Camp Atterbury Ind. It rained all day long and when I got back to camp that evening the the holster was ruined . Both belt loops , Pull strap , & Buckel strap broke ,& the holster was so saturated it lost its shape . And then there were the times I tried to preserve the original leather chin strap on a German Helmet and a canteen and ruined those things as well .I dont know why but it took the destruction of these things for me to finally learn to leave original 60 -90 year old leather alone ! Man ! , I'm such an idiot !
Shawn Grear
Shawn v. Il. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #28
fg42
User

Not the stupidest but an example of what I'm capable of. At a show I bought a Sikes- Fairborn dagger with a presentation engraving on the blade to a Major of a British camando unit from his men dated 1943. On the way out a guy offered a trade of 3 unmarked F-S daggers for it, it sounded good so--. Bob Benson
fg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 01:50 AM   #29
Mark A
User

In 1972 my best friend sold his dad's war trophy german helmet for seven dollars. I thought HE was dumb then, now I know I was dumb. I could have sold my little sister for six and begged him to carry the balance.
Unread 10-07-2005, 02:31 AM   #30
G.W. Gill
User

I am looking at it now. It is one of those display cases like butterflies are displayed. ( 1900-1960's). An original buck and ball (C.S.A.), also a paper charge for 10-12 Ga. shotgun (C.S.A.), Maynard primer tape and a .69 minnie (C.S.A.) and a .58 round ball (perfect mushroom). The paper is C.S.A. and is now ruined (Broken). From vibration. Broken cracks visable and screaming never to be touched again. The display still looks cool, but...Who want's a buck and ball and a three piece powder charge??? I even had to take the pins out and clean the glass where the tape primers were. The label had desintregated over the primers. And then I had to look at the untouchable cartridges..... My fault! Again. Lets keep it going!! Fess Up !! Lets hear more stories ... You"ve got lots of company!!
Unread 10-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #31
Walt NW
User

God, I love this thread. On those occasions when my mind wakes up and decides to remind me of the times when gross stupidity ran rampant over my years of weapons and militaria collecting, I now have a place to turn and obtain an admitedly perverse form of comfort in the knowledge that even some of the best have their moments of profound screwing up. Would take far too long to list my "why the Hell did I do that", banging my head against the wall, downright dumb buys, sales and other things that go bump in the night stunts, BUT, I can truthfully say that I never had an urge to pet a rattle snake!
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #32
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

no good Walt, yah can't come here for comfort without leaving a tale of woe

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 12:48 AM   #33
G.W. Gill
User

Yes Walt, We need a story now. For example. I bought a French and Indian war powderhorn. Wonderful carving of a map , the area from Fort Ticonderoga to New York, It had a couple of worm holes near the base plug. I rubbed them and now have a hole .05 cm instead of a pencil dot or two. I got more stories. Come on Guys. You are not alone. This is education.
Unread 10-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #34
Aaron
Banned

A couple of years ago I bought a superb 1940 police banner police Luger from a dealer's showcase. This was absolutely mint with matching magazine, the most perfect Luger I have ever seen. I tried to take it down to check all the numbers, and the cannon was stuck and wouldn't slide off the frame. Anyway, the dealer and I managed to get it off with a lot of pulling and cussing, and we both decided the pistol was so mint that it just needed some breaking in. Well, $1500 later it belonged to me. About three years after that I decided I had no real interest in non-military Lugers, so I let somebody talk me out of it for $2200. Three hours after the deal he called me up and said he found the reason it was so stiff. It had a hairline crack in one of the rails. Well, I returned his money and sold it in disgust to a young collector who didn't mind the defect and he was happy to get it for $700. Yes, that was a pretty expensive lesson!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 02:44 AM   #35
G.W. Gill
User

Arron, Ouch, Yes, what we are talking about. Like my buying a Gardner Pattern canteen. Then trading it off for a couple of things that I liked. I later noticed a picture of the the canteen being held between two smiling guys in a trade magizine. Oh well.
Unread 10-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #36
Walt NW
User

OK, here we go and the tears are already falling on the keyboard.
1968-Lake Sam Houston, Texas-Victim: 1916 matched through the mag Erfurt. Fishing with my father-in-law. At least he's fishing. I have far more luck plinking snakes off the the dead trees in the area we're fishing at with my trusty luger. I'm aiming, he gets a bass strike and hauls back on the rod which hits my gun hand.and the Erfurt finds a final watery grave,
1993-Victim: 1937 Krieghoff matched through the mag and beautiful, virtually pristine typical Krieghoff finish. Have had it for a few years and suddenly decide I want to run a few clips through it and see how she fires.
After 15 or 20 rounds, the trigger spring bites the dust so I take it to a local "gunsmith" for repairs. He repaired it alright, but must have used a piece of granite for a workbench. I get it back all scratched to Hell. Yell and scream but the damage is done. Finally sell it off because I can't stand to look at it anymore. What my kids did to thousands of dollars worth of stamp collection when they were very small is another story we won't even get into. Since they've lived to grow into adulthood and give me grand children, I guess I eventually got over it.
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 11:26 PM   #37
Hugh
RIP

When I first started accumulating Lugers I went to a gun show in Houston. At the third table I came to was an all matching Erma 22 conversion unit in the wooden box for $75. Naturally, I wanted to look around some before spending my money, so when I came back 15 minutes later after coming to my senses---you know the rest of the story.
Unread 10-09-2005, 12:03 AM   #38
G.W. Gill
User

1995. I have a pristine Remington Manyard 1816 conversion rifle musket. After much searching I found an 1842 long range rear sight in matching condition ($250). The rear sights were often removed as volley fire was much more effective with the tactics used early in the civil war. I take it to a high end gunshop with very expensive shotguns and smith equipment. I showed him where the base of the original screw was and asked him to remove it and install sight with screw that I provided. He drilled another hole , threaded it, ground on sight with grinder and used lead wedges. Generally did a job that would fail a junior high shop class. I was sick. I just wanted a screw base removed. I EVEN PAID $18 so I could leave fast as I felt myself getting so angry that the police would be called. I don't trust the depth of the hole he drilled so I can't even use it as a scattergun. The EVEN PAID is the stupid part. Lets keep it going. So others don't make the same mistakes. Learn from us. And laugh with us. By the way, most of us are not rolling in doe. I could qualify for Govt. cheese. It is the hit and miss with trades in collecting. More stories are good and help in learning about collecting.
Unread 02-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #39
lundbaek
User

The most unfortunate thing I did with a gun was to sell the M-1 Carbine my dad brought home from WW2, to help finance university.

I also have over the years sold guns for money that I might have raised in other ways or done without. These include a 98% 1913 Mfg. Colt 1911, a 99% 1943 Mfg. Colt 1911A1, a .22 Rifle S/N 500 made at the US Springfield Armory, a 95% 1911 Mfg'd at the US Springfield Armory, and a 98% 1942 Mfg Walther P-38 I got from the G.I. who brought it back. The P-38 turned up 42 years later with the son of the buyer here in Arizona, and traded a S&W Model 36 /w 3" barrel to get it back.

Another regret I have is falling in love with Colt SAAs for a few years. I sold them off after I decided they wern't all that they are cracked up to be.

I might add I sometimes wish I had less expensive interests.
lundbaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #40
Imperial Arms
Banned

Action: In 1983. I had the chance to buy at the Columbus Gun Show a near mint 1916 LP-08 rig with all matching numbers for $3k. I was advised that it was worth about $2500 and I decided to pass on the purchase, hoping to find another one at a better price. Here I am 23 years later still without a near mint LP-08 rig for my collection. I was an idiot for not paying the $500 premium!!!

Reaction: When you find an item that you truly desire with condition, do not hesitate, even if you must pay a 10%-20% premium.

Happy hunting,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote