LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #61
drm2m
User

In retrospect, I am kind of surprised I jumped into this topic....and I have since thought about it.

I have no sense of what it feels like to live in a place where the question of safety might be a daily concern, â?¦such that, the thought of carrying a gun would make sense...so I really should not be commenting on this subject.

Back in the 60s I was in Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia when the 7-day war broke out in the Middle East ....as well as the student riots in Paris, .... I spent lots of very enjoyable time in Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India back then, as a free spirited overland traveler.......when this part of the world was a different place....I never once felt threatened.

Possibly our cities, and the world at large was a safer place at that time?
I wonder what has happened since then????

But that is a different subject.
David
drm2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 09:39 PM   #62
thegundude
User

"I have no sense of what it feels like to live in a place where the question of safety might be a daily concern, â?¦such that, the thought of carrying a gun would make sense...so I really should not be commenting on this subject."

Anywhere that Cain can meet Able your safety could be in danger. Anywhere at all. Where in Canada do you live that is utterly free of violence for any source?

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #63
thegundude
User

David, don't get me wrong. I don't live in a place where there's hardly any violence. And it's almost never against people like me anyway, being of above average build and in my prime. But that doesn't mean that I want to stand unprepared should something happen for which a gun is the only cure. But robbers and indiscriminate acts of violence can happen anywhere and at anytime. Just ask those to whom it has happened.

Yes, trying to keep out of bad places is helpful, no doubt. In fact it's the very first rule of thumb for staying out of trouble. But there are countless people who will tell you that they were in their own home, minding their own business, just running out for milk, etc, etc, that have had violence thrust upon them unbidden.

If you don't see that as ever happening perhaps you're not weak or elderly. One of the people who make the best targets. Ask one of them what they think about being able to defend one's self.

Add to that, I live in bear country. My home in Asheville has had black bear visitors on a regular basis. I walk my dogs every night and have seen them while out on those walks in the dark on three occasions. Nothing gets your attention surer or quicker than a bear suddenly forty feet away from you.

My point is, no matter where you live or who you are, you could find yourself in need of extreme personal protection. It's not a "mindset" or a nessecity of living in a crime ridden area. I may never need it, and I hope I never do. But if I do need it, a cell phone won't suffice.

What part of Canada are you from David?

~Steve
Unread 05-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #64
thegundude
User

Tac, don't underestimate those Wild Turkeys! I'm-a-tellin' ya son, them can be sum nasty critters...

Okay, there are like half a dozen places, but it doesn't pay to live in them...

This was taken in my backyard

So far no one hurt, but it wouldn't take much. She's with her cub back there in the pen.

~Steve
Unread 05-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #65
zeke1312
User

Guess I have to agree with a few posters that wondered what the need is to CCW. The state where I live just passed a CCW law. I like the freedom to leagally carry a concealed weapon, but for me, I don't think I have a need. Sometime in the future I may change my mind.

I don't want to knock those who CCW. Just wanted to add an opinion on the subject.

But, when the law allows CCW here, I do plan to get a CCW license!
zeke1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #66
Steinar
User

what a great and amazing picture Thegundude!

There are bears mostly everywhere in norway too, but they very rarely come this close to the population! So they are not in any threat for the population.. On svalbard, it's quite different, quite many has been killed by polar bears there. (they have quite a temperament ) Therefore it is actually illegal to walk around there without a firearm. Going to a bar, is like visiting a saloon back in the wild west
Unread 05-25-2006, 07:07 AM   #67
thegundude
User

Very cool Morgan. Kind of like Alaska... And Polar Bears are known for their bad temperament. I think it has to do with not seeing girl Polar Bears for so long a stretch... They sure look cuddly though.

Kind of funny when you think about all those guys, in a bar, with loaded firearms, and no one gets shot. It just goes to show that an armed society is a polite society.

My girlfriend really likes that picture (she's the photographer for that shot) because the bear has a heart shaped patch of lighter colored fur on her side.

Chicks are strange...

~Steve
Unread 05-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #68
Steinar
User

didn't see that heart until now.. most guys probably just noticed the bear
Unread 05-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #69
thegundude
User

That's what I'm sayin'...

~Steve
Unread 05-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #70
pipeman45
User

Quote:
Originally posted by drm2m
Steve, I donâ??t suppose there exists any place where the possibility of personal danger is not imaginable.., but rather, it is not something that is in your face to the degree that you spend much time thinking about, or preparing for it.

I currently feel that even if we could carry, â?¦..I personally canâ??t see a legitimate need for it.

Call me na�¯veâ?¦that is O.Kâ?¦. but expecting the worst can sometimes become a mindset, that may or may not be realistic, depending upon where you live, and what you do.
David
I too don't see the need for CCW permits. It should be a choice of all free men.What right does any Government have to tell it's people they can't protect themselves? If you don't believe you should carry, then thats your right. But do you have the right to tell everyone else that they can't? Remember not everyone is blessed with good health,and wealth. Some are old infirmed and have to live in area's that are crime ridden. Will you also speak for them?
Please don't take this as an attack on you, or your position.It is only my opinion and food for thought.
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #71
drm2m
User

Steve, and pipeman 45, I donâ??t suppose there exists any place where the risk of personal danger is not possible.., but rather,... it is NOT something that is in your face to the degree that you spend much time thinking about, or preparing for it. (Where I live.)

I currently feel that even if the laws in my part of the world permitted CCW â?¦..I personally canâ??t see a legitimate need for it.

Call me na�¯veâ?¦that is O.Kâ?¦. but expecting the worst can sometimes become a mindset, that may or may not be realistic, depending upon where you reside, and what you do.

My comments are in no way meant to criticize anyone that may have a different opinion on the subject of CCW.

David
drm2m is offline   Reply With Quote