LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 02-07-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
LugerVern
User

Default Barely visible mark on Navy?

I noticed this mark on the barrel underside of a reworked Navy and was wondering if anyone might recognize it or have a clear picture from one of their guns of what it looked like before the refinishing. I know itâ??s not much, barely visible to the eye but definitely there. Both views are of the same mark and you can see the Crown N stamp to the left to give you size reference. I think maybe a barrel manufacturer mark because it was so lightly stamped, but really have no clear idea. To me there are two marks, a J shaped one and a smaller H shape.

Thanks

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Vern, I would have been helpful if you had memtioned which Navy variation this was. Your mark appears to be some type of straight winged eagle. Most WW1 and before Navys, have a C/M on the bottom of the barrel. TH
Unread 02-12-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
LugerVern
User

TH

I thought so at first too, but I just canâ??t see the pattern, not in my minds eye anyway. That funny looking â??Jâ? I believe is what is left of an elongated triangle. Costanzo shows what I think this is, as Number 130 on page 195 as an Austro-Hungarian barrel proof.

It would be nice to compare the size of an actual proof if someone has one to post?

This gun falls into the post WWI rework category a mixture of Imperial and new parts, matching but re barreled and then sold on the commercial market. Anything is possible and eagle proofs not out of the question, even though if it is one, itâ??s the only one on the gun.

Thanks for looking; I didnâ??t expect much of a response with so little to work with. When the gun was reworked they went after some of the proofs but not others, the Imperial proofs were left intact. There is another barely visible marking on the top of the receiver near the barrel; it is a small â??Mâ? that trails off to the right. Interesting if turned upside down it is a perfect â??Wâ? and this is what I think that smaller marking is beside the so called Austro Hungarian barrel proof.

I have seen this� M� before but never thought much about it and regret not taking better notes.

Below is a picture of that small â??Mâ? stamp on the receiver.

Thanks for trying, I donâ??t expect anyone to jump up and say I know, I know but if you donâ??t ask youâ??ll never know for sure.

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hello Vern,

I have squinted at the photos but these old eyes don't see much of anything. Could the markings be E/J and E/N? If so, they are probably the proofs specified by 1939 Proof Laws for commercial reworks. A photo of these proofs may be found in http://luger.gunboards.com/topic.asp...frankenschloss

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote