LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #41
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curss View Post
Forgive me if I was rude, gentlemen. Glad to hear the ammo looks good!
Seemed like an appropriate question to me, Chris. Served as a reminder to post the observation. I'll give it a post after I shoot a mag or two of it, likely later this week. I'll be able to tell you how it functions...but don't count on me as a source for assessment of how accurate the loads are, since all my guns probably shoot better than I do!
Unread 06-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #42
Curss
User

I know that feeling all too well.
Unread 08-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #43
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I think I posted this elsewhere, but it belongs here, I think.

I ran the SAMCO .30 Luger through my '06AE shooter--it's the one for which converted a standard profile barrel in 6" to be "pencil taper". Of the 250 rounds that I'd bought, practiced with about half of it and reserved 125 rounds for an IDPA match. Since it did not malfunction once over the course of 225 rounds, I'm pretty confident about both the gun and the ammo right now, and my ridiculous scores in the 400's (!) were nearly twice as good--this time I'm still at the bottom of the pack, but not completely off the scale, as before! Admittedly, the use of semi-wad cutters in the G.I. style barrel caused a lot of jams, which affected the tally when I used the 1911 knock-off.

I have 500 more rounds coming, should be here soon. I wonder how long their "limited quantities" will hold out--after which it will be gone, necessitating the post-stage hunt for brass.
Unread 08-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #44
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I picked up my 500 .30 Luger rounds today. The twenty boxes had each been opened, presumably to check contents. The boxes were dirty/dusty and a tiny bit dog-eared, with a different colored label/seal. The rounds look the same as before--primers and projectiles sealed with red stuff--perhaps not quite a shiny as the previous 250, but I have no reason at this point to think they will perform any differently than the first batch. Get 'em while they're hot--or not, which would mean more for me!
Unread 08-28-2015, 01:56 AM   #45
Curss
User

And of course I'm waiting on the next paycheck!

You know what David, I need to try out one of these IDPA matches at some point. I think I'll take my .30 Luger with me when I do, might as well shoot in style!

Glad to hear the ammo looks good, I'll have to pick some up!
Unread 08-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #46
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
I picked up my 500 .30 Luger rounds today. The twenty boxes had each been opened, presumably to check contents. The boxes were dirty/dusty and a tiny bit dog-eared, with a different colored label/seal. The rounds look the same as before--primers and projectiles sealed with red stuff--perhaps not quite a shiny as the previous 250, but I have no reason at this point to think they will perform any differently than the first batch. Get 'em while they're hot--or not, which would mean more for me!

David,

All but a couple of boxes of my SAMCO ammo had the seals broken also. I don't know if it was intentional, or just the way it had been packed and stored all of the years. Those seals appear quite fragile at this point in time.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #47
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
David,

All but a couple of boxes of my SAMCO ammo had the seals broken also. I don't know if it was intentional, or just the way it had been packed and stored all of the years. Those seals appear quite fragile at this point in time.
All ten of the 25-round boxes I got the first time had intact white labels/seals. On the fronts of the boxes were flaps/tabs to be grasped and lifted, which tore the seals , thus opening the box. If rounds remain, the tab is simply tucked down in behind the front of the box.

All twenty of the next lot were unsealed. Boxes are intact, but dusty and dirty, and their label/seal is an ancient brown color. I'll try to get some pics up showing them, early next week.
Unread 08-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #48
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Do you remember the "vintage" of the first batch of ammo? Mine is '55.......a FINE year!! The boxes that I received were intact, but obviously aged. The seals are also browned and quite fragile. The ammo appears to be just fine with a bit of tarnish to the brass as one would expect....no corrosion present.
Unread 11-02-2015, 05:33 AM   #49
Curss
User

Well, I finally acquired some and I seem to be having issues with the primers. Either my striker spring is not strong enough, or the primers are a little harder then Fiocchi primers. I believe I'm still using Wolff's extra power striker spring too. Should I look into a stronger spring? I don't want to damage the firing pin...
Unread 11-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #50
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Do the primers look like they have received a good firing pin hit with a nice depression? How did the primer hits compare to the Fiocchi that you shot?

David had no problems with the SAMCO Finnish 30 luger ammo that he purchased. I have not tried any of mine to date, but plan to fairly soon.
Unread 11-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #51
Curss
User

I'll snap some photos in a couple days. I work the night shift now and rarely have time to shoot.
Unread 11-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #52
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
Do you remember the "vintage" of the first batch of ammo? Mine is '55.......a FINE year!! The boxes that I received were intact, but obviously aged. The seals are also browned and quite fragile. The ammo appears to be just fine with a bit of tarnish to the brass as one would expect....no corrosion present.
Richard,

Here are the pics of the boxes that I had promised. Both styles of box are opened by pulling up on the flap that hangs out. This tears the seal on both sides of the "lid", allowing access to the rounds after the secondary flap(s) are flipped open.

The box with the brown seal, from '56, I think, presents an outer flap that is as long as the side of the box is high. There is one opposing inner flap that is the same dimensions as the box top. No flaps are tapered, and the hinge of the opposing secondary flap prevents the top flap's being tucked in afterward to re-close the box.

The later-produced has a much better system for closing the lid back down on the remaining rounds. The pull-flap is shorter and tapered on its sides, as you can see. Instead of a single, full-size, opposing secondary flap, it has two tapered half-flaps that fold back down and permit the former pull-flap to be tucked down inside the box. Much better! These are from '78, so they learned a bit in twenty years...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boxes 001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	53385  

Click image for larger version

Name:	boxes 002.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	53386  

Unread 11-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #53
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

David,

Thanx for the photos of the ammo that you received from Samco. My ammo is boxed exactly like the box in the second photo((brown label). The main difference is yours is stamped '56, and mine is '55. These older boxes seem to be ....open a box, shoot a box, as you noted, not easy to close securely. I don't know what "vintage" 30 luger ammo that Curss received from Samco, but he is having a problem with FTF. Hard to diagnose his problem without more info.
Unread 11-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #54
Curss
User

I have fired an additional 75 rounds over the past two days with no malfunction. That first box that I went through must have been bad, it seemed every other round required a second strike, and the recoil seemed to be a bit more stout compared to Fiocchi. Must be because I brought my camera with me to photograph the primers.

I think most of my ammunition was made during 1955 and 1956. Might be a good idea to get these rounds into something more protective then their cardboard boxes.
Unread 11-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #55
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Glad to hear that your second try with the ammo was successful. We have no idea how this ammo has been stored for the last 60 years or so.
Unread 11-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #56
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Just some more info on the Samco Finnish 30 Luger ammo. I finally got to the range with my 1921 alphabet Luger and some of the Samco ammo. It ran 100% for me, and that was through three(3) different makes of mags(GT's Mec-Gar, Danish, and Stoeger OEM). At cleaning time, it shot pretty clean, with no massive cleanup required......accurate, also, through my Luger with a "sewer pipe bore". OAL 1.158in. the same as my Fiocchi FMJ.

I could not be more pleased with it, and will likely purchase some more, just to have when I can no longer get down and pickup my brass, yet still want to shoot.
The following 2 members says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 11-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #57
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I ran 250 rounds of the Samco Finnish 7.65 Para ammo through my W+F P06/29 National Match with no malfunctions other than an occasional failure to hold open after the last shot. The ammo is very clean and consistent, too.
The following 3 members says Thank You to Michael Zeleny for your post:
Unread 12-03-2015, 01:52 AM   #58
LU1900
User

Michael , a manufacture date on the box ?
Thanks
Unread 12-03-2015, 02:55 AM   #59
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU1900 View Post
Michael , a manufacture date on the box ?
Thanks
VPT/55, headstamped VPT 55 7.65 MM. This is the first Luger fodder I feel to be suitable for defensive use.
Unread 12-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #60
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
The rounds look the same as before--primers and projectiles sealed with red stuff...
IIRC, that is simply lacquer, applied to make it 'waterproof'...

I have seen it around the case mouth as well...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote