LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default AIM Email lists sale on PPU .30 Luger ammo

I have no involvement with them, but AIM just sent an Email listing a very good price $18/50 on .30 Luger ammo:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP765PARA
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 03-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Has anyone used this 30 luger brand?
I have had good luck w Fiocchi FMJ available for about 22.50 delivered.
Bob
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

That is a very good price for 30 Luger ammo. I have never used this brand of ammo, and hopefully someone that has will chime in.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I've used Privi-Partisan in other calibers, and it was fine. It's from Serbia.

http://www.prvipartizan.com/

No experience with their .30 Luger ammo...
Unread 03-16-2015, 01:45 AM   #5
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
I've used Privi-Partisan in other calibers, and it was fine. It's from Serbia.

http://www.prvipartizan.com/

No experience with their .30 Luger ammo...
Hi,

I agree that it goes bang, but for me PPU stands for pretty poor uniformity!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
nukem556
User

Yeah, great ....start another World War by insulting the Serbians
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
danielsand
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

I agree that it goes bang, but for me PPU stands for pretty poor uniformity!

Sieger

Since I am not equipped to measure uniformity of the load, velocity, or trajectory, I can not disagree with your statement from that point of view. But,.......

I've been using PPU ammo in MANY different calibers, and found it to be VERY well made. "PPU" stands for "Prvi Partizan Uzice" ("Uzice" pronounced as "Uzhitse"). Factory is located in the city of Uzice in Southern Serbia (today), and it was the biggest ammunition factory in former Yugoslavia.

This city was famous in Yugoslavia, because of WW2, and the historical event of Tito's Partisan forces establishing so called 'Uzicka Republika' ("Uzhitse Republic"), where the above mentioned forces proclaimed "Uzice Republic", after they liberated the region around the city from Wehrmacht (they lost the territory shortly after, but nevertheless). The event had a big historical significance not just because they took the city from Wehrmacht, but also because Yugoslavia was a Constitutional Monarchy at that point, and the Communist Partisans signaled to the world and The Monarchy what they intend to do after they win the war (Yugoslav king Peter, and the whole court was in exile in London at that time). Ammunition factory was named "Prvi Partizan" ("First Partisan") to honor that achievement.

This factory was a main supplier of the ammunition for Yugoslav Peoples Army (JNA) until the breakup of Yugoslavia. Today, it supplies Serbian Armed Forces, and produces ammunition in many calibers.

Since I collect Yugoslav small arms, I naturally want to feed it it's "original" diet, and I stock many PPU calibers. Never had a misfire, squib, or a dud. IMO, this is honestly made, mass produced, military grade ammunition (with a very long shelf life), and it performs as intended. No, it's not finely tuned "custom loaded", handcrafted ammo, but it's way better made (again IMO) than anything coming from China, or the former Eastern Block countries (including Russia and their fascination for steel cased ammo!).

For example,.....their 7.92X57 "sniper" grade ammo (made in the 1970s) is (according to many experts on this caliber), the finest (and the most accurate) "off the shelf" 7.92 Mauser load money can buy. Their 9x19 Luger is WAY better than "Winchester White Box", and I just LOVE their 7.62X39, and 7.62X25.

Sorry about the long post, but if some of you shoot PPU ammunition, I think you should know why it's called "PPU", and the history behind it (and since all the members of this forum are history buffs, me included, I think it's fitting).

Thanks for reading.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to danielsand for your post:
Unread 03-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Sieger
User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsand View Post
Since I am not equipped to measure uniformity of the load, velocity, or trajectory, I can not disagree with your statement from that point of view. But,.......

I've been using PPU ammo in MANY different calibers, and found it to be VERY well made. "PPU" stands for "Prvi Partizan Uzice" ("Uzice" pronounced as "Uzhitse"). Factory is located in the city of Uzice in Southern Serbia (today), and it was the biggest ammunition factory in former Yugoslavia.

This city was famous in Yugoslavia, because of WW2, and the historical event of Tito's Partisan forces establishing so called 'Uzicka Republika' ("Uzhitse Republic"), where the above mentioned forces proclaimed "Uzice Republic", after they liberated the region around the city from Wehrmacht (they lost the territory shortly after, but nevertheless). The event had a big historical significance not just because they took the city from Wehrmacht, but also because Yugoslavia was a Constitutional Monarchy at that point, and the Communist Partisans signaled to the world and The Monarchy what they intend to do after they win the war (Yugoslav king Peter, and the whole court was in exile in London at that time). Ammunition factory was named "Prvi Partizan" ("First Partisan") to honor that achievement.

This factory was a main supplier of the ammunition for Yugoslav Peoples Army (JNA) until the breakup of Yugoslavia. Today, it supplies Serbian Armed Forces, and produces ammunition in many calibers.

Since I collect Yugoslav small arms, I naturally want to feed it it's "original" diet, and I stock many PPU calibers. Never had a misfire, squib, or a dud. IMO, this is honestly made, mass produced, military grade ammunition (with a very long shelf life), and it performs as intended. No, it's not finely tuned "custom loaded", handcrafted ammo, but it's way better made (again IMO) than anything coming from China, or the former Eastern Block countries (including Russia and their fascination for steel cased ammo!).

For example,.....their 7.92X57 "sniper" grade ammo (made in the 1970s) is (according to many experts on this caliber), the finest (and the most accurate) "off the shelf" 7.92 Mauser load money can buy. Their 9x19 Luger is WAY better than "Winchester White Box", and I just LOVE their 7.62X39, and 7.62X25.

Sorry about the long post, but if some of you shoot PPU ammunition, I think you should know why it's called "PPU", and the history behind it (and since all the members of this forum are history buffs, me included, I think it's fitting).

Thanks for reading.
Hi,

I've had occasion to shoot their stuff since the early 1980s when it was being imported under a different name. They did and do load several military calibers otherwise not available, or otherwise too expensive.

I handload everything. Their brass is definitely second grade at best.

As to their much vaulted 7.92mm Mauser Sniper load; some I've shot has grouped pretty well, other lots have grouped poorly.

PPU definitely fills the Saturday afternoon plinking crowd's bill, nicely, however, as the price is right!!!

Sieger
Unread 03-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
danielsand
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

I've had occasion to shoot their stuff since the early 1980s when it was being imported under a different name. They did and do load several military calibers otherwise not available, or otherwise too expensive.

I handload everything. Their brass is definitely second grade at best.

As to their much vaulted 7.92mm Mauser Sniper load; some I've shot has grouped pretty well, other lots have grouped poorly.

PPU definitely fills the Saturday afternoon plinking crowd's bill, nicely, however, as the price is right!!!

Sieger
Hi back!

You can definitely count me into this "Saturday afternoon plinking crowd" (except for me every day can be Saturday!). I don't shoot for groups, scores, or competition. I ride into the mountain on my horse, and I take whatever weapon I wish to enjoy that day. Sometimes I have company, most of the time alone. If I see a rock, or a dried out tree at a challenging distance (depending on the weapon of course), I dismount, and "hone my skills" sort to speak. If I can consistently hit the intended target (and sometimes this "target" can be out to 700+ yards), I am happy. No stove pipes, no squibs, no duds, and all hits,....I'm happy!
I don't measure groups, but every shot is a "kill", and that's good enough for me.
I don't know if there IS mass produced ammo that can compete with carefully crafted handloads, and if the brand IS there, it will be too expensive for me to use regularly. A friend of mine is an avid handloader, and I've seen what the ammo like that can do.
I have an old (rusty) wok mounted on a dried out trunk of a tree, and I have a clear sight on it at any distance up to 700 meters (not yards). He can make a "cloverleaf" pattern shots in the center of it (same weapon, Yugo M76), and it's great. I hit it in the "forehead" with the first shot, and I tell him "what's the difference,....the guy is dead just as well". LOL (and once the first shot is on the target, in the real scenario, there will be no "follow up" shots, and no opportunity for "patterns")

"Pretty Poor Uniformity" might ring true with someone that shoots for "patterns", and "scores", but labeling the PPU produced ammunition as "poor" is inaccurate IMO. There are different styles of shooting, and I fully agree with you that PPU is NOT "match grade" paper puncher, but as the mass produced military grade, it's damn good (compared with MANY other brands produced in that part of the world).

Different strokes, I guess.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to danielsand for your post:
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsand View Post
Hi back!

You can definitely count me into this "Saturday afternoon plinking crowd" (except for me every day can be Saturday!). I don't shoot for groups, scores, or competition. I ride into the mountain on my horse, and I take whatever weapon I wish to enjoy that day. Sometimes I have company, most of the time alone. If I see a rock, or a dried out tree at a challenging distance (depending on the weapon of course), I dismount, and "hone my skills" sort to speak. If I can consistently hit the intended target (and sometimes this "target" can be out to 700+ yards), I am happy. No stove pipes, no squibs, no duds, and all hits,....I'm happy!
I don't measure groups, but every shot is a "kill", and that's good enough for me.
I don't know if there IS mass produced ammo that can compete with carefully crafted handloads, and if the brand IS there, it will be too expensive for me to use regularly. A friend of mine is an avid handloader, and I've seen what the ammo like that can do.
I have an old (rusty) wok mounted on a dried out trunk of a tree, and I have a clear sight on it at any distance up to 700 meters (not yards). He can make a "cloverleaf" pattern shots in the center of it (same weapon, Yugo M76), and it's great. I hit it in the "forehead" with the first shot, and I tell him "what's the difference,....the guy is dead just as well". LOL (and once the first shot is on the target, in the real scenario, there will be no "follow up" shots, and no opportunity for "patterns")

"Pretty Poor Uniformity" might ring true with someone that shoots for "patterns", and "scores", but labeling the PPU produced ammunition as "poor" is inaccurate IMO. There are different styles of shooting, and I fully agree with you that PPU is NOT "match grade" paper puncher, but as the mass produced military grade, it's damn good (compared with MANY other brands produced in that part of the world).

Different strokes, I guess.
Hi,

Definitely different strokes.

I'm sure, if you were to contact Midway, or one of the other well respected suppliers, you would find that they sell more of this stuff than almost anything. Price is the key here.

Good shooting!

Sieger
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 03-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
TheRomanhistorian
User

Thanks for telling us. I may have to check it out as I didn't know PPU made .30 Luger ammunition (I use their .30 Mauser and Nagant revolver ammunition and reload the brass for both).

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2015, 04:03 AM   #12
Paladinpainter
User

I ordered a couple of hundred rounds earlier this week because I'm sick of feeling like a fumble-fingers when I reload those small .30 cases. If I make it to the range fairly soon, I'll give you guys a report.
Paladinpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Paladinpainter for your post: