LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 04-02-2016, 02:07 AM   #1
Bmi48219
User

Default Reloading for 9 mm Stoeger Navy

I'm new to the forum, been looking all over for a solution to my reload problem, this forum looks like it may be the place to ask:
I bought a Stoeger Navy model stainless Luger so I wouldn't ruin my two relics. Having a lot of trouble getting a reload to cycle the gun anywhere near reliably.
First I should say it cycles without a hitch using factory ammo. Tried several different brands of factory 115 FMJ loads, all work like they should. I can't get close with reloads. Usually (50 to 70 % of the time) the fired brass stove pipes instead of ejecting, once in a while a fresh round gets jambed against the top of the chamber opening.
I am using a Lee Hand Loader.
I full length size the brass & deprime 50 to 100 cases,
Clean them and mike the case length to Lee specs,
Prime the batch I'm working on,
Weigh each load (have tried 5.5 gr to 6.3 gr Unique in .1 grain increments, and seat Armscor 115 FMJ with a very light crimp.
Started out seating at 1.1625" COL and just tried 1.170 " COL.
This gun digests cheap Perfecta ammo that is shorter w/ no trouble.
No matter what load, length or bullet (experimented with plated 125 gr RNL too) it still fails to fully extract or eject. Just ordered some W231, thinking maybe Unique is too fast.
All the reloads that I can't get to cycle through the Stoeger work fine in my S&W 59, Radom and Astra 600/43.
Really hoping someone on this forum has experience with Reloading for a modern Stoeger replica. I don't think this gun has been shot much at all & everything works great using factory ammo.
Thanks
Vic
Bmi48219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2016, 04:54 AM   #2
Sieger
User

Hi,

Use factory ammo then.

Most folks having Luger feeding problems have them with factory ammo.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 04-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
noylj
User

Every one of your problems is usually caused by the charge being too light to cycle the mass and springs of the gun.
How does the recoil of your loads feel compared to factory ammo of the same bullet weight that does cycle the gun? If it feels lighter, then you may up the charge.
If you are shooting outdoors, does factory ammo throw the case further than you reloads? If so, then you may up the charge.
Beyond that, there are two ways to go: faster powder for a quicker/shorter recoil impulse or a slower powder so you can generate even more powder and longer pressure curve to cycle the action.
Of, as Sieger says, stay with what works...
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I don't own a Stoeger Navy Luger, but do own originals and a Mauser Parabellum in Navy configuration. I am a shooter of all of my Lugers, and also a handloader. That said, I own a mixed parts shooter Luger that pretty much refuses to shoot my reloads!! I have been a handloader for more years than I want to admit to, and load for all of my handguns......except this one Luger.

I have tried 115gr and 124gr of different configuration bullets, Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, Power Pistol, etc. powders, with only partial success for this one Luger. If I feed it PMC 115gr FMJ, it is soooo happy!!

My best handload for this problem Luger is Remington 115gr FMJ with 5.5-5.6gr Unique loaded long....1.160-1.165 OAL. This load will function reliably 80-85% + of the time. It functions 100% of the time in all of my other 9mm handguns.

Many Lugers are ammo sensitive(spring sensitive and mag sensitive), so if you found ammo that your Luger likes....feed it that!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2016, 01:52 AM   #5
Bmi48219
User

Thanks for you input guys,
Sieger & rhuff, your mutual suggestion is the most sensible route but, I have a problem with owning a shooter I can't reload for.
noylj, the recoil & report of factory ammo is noticeably stronger & louder than the reloads I have produced. I have only used Unique but with it I am pretty close to max loads now. I am going to try HP 38 & see if reliability improves. Saw a couple loads listed on IMR site for 4227. May try that too. Not familiar with burn rates, can you say how 4227 & HP 38 compare to Unique's burn rate?
I thought since factory loads work I would try to load with a powder similar to what they use. Surprisingly factory COI is pretty short but still works.
Thanks again for your advice
Unread 04-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree 100% that you should give it your best try to find a load that this Luger is happy with. I tried intermittently for years to find the "perfect load" for my problem child, but never found it.

You are soooo far ahead of the fella that owns a Luger that is NOT reliable with ANY ammo!!! Now this can be a problem, and most of us here recommend that he get his Luger working 100% on factory ammo first, then try to copy the factory ammo that his Luger likes. You already know what ammo makes your Stoeger happy. That is a LARGE step forward.

From my burn rate chart (Hodgdon) HP38/231 powder is a bit faster than Unique. H4227 is a rifle powder and is slower then 296/H110, 2400, and Blue Dot. I don't believe that you will like using this powder in 9mm brass, but of course, your decision. Good luck.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

I've heard that the Winchester recipe for the white box ammo uses 231 powder, with their bullets, brass, and primers. Theoretically, you could load clones of these rounds...
Unread 04-04-2016, 12:45 AM   #8
Bmi48219
User

Default Stoeger 9 mm reloading

Ithacartist & rhuff
Your opinions make sense, have HP38 available so will give it a try.
Emailed Winchester last week about what Win powder they used but no response. Cloning white box would solve my dilemma and keep the rest of my 9's fed too. I am probably grasping at straws trying 4227 but it worked when Unique didn't loading for my AMT Automag III .30 carbine. that one has a 6 3/4" barrel, not much longer than the Stoeger navy.
Thanks again for the suggestions
I noticed the forum has a separate area for "modern" Lugers, hope I didn't break with protocol posting this here.
This is what it looks like when it isn't malfunctioning if I can get the photo attached.

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	57748