LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 01-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
NH Photo Shooter
User

Default Do not reload "IMT" or "AMMOLOAD" Marked 9mm Cases

They are easy to spot when reloading. Instead of the normal taper of the case wall thickness, , they have a very visible step 3/8" from the case mouth. I had one separate on me while shooting - only the case head up to the step ejected. The 3/8" from the mouth back stayed in the chamber. I was shooting a very light load in my Sig, so it was not a pressure issue. Fortunately the part still in the chamber was easy to remove (fell out when I stripped the pistol actually). But I didn't know it was going to be easy, so I was done with that gun for the day.

I did some Internet research, and found that I am not the only one that this has happened to. Apparently these cases are made in Turkey, and are also sometimes marked "AMMOLOAD". Same design, same problem.

One brand that uses these cases is Freedom Munitions.

I grabbed this photo from another forum, but it shows the inside of the case.

And, yes, I do mean IMT, not IMI.
Attached Images

NH Photo Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 10 members says Thank You to NH Photo Shooter for your post:
Unread 01-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I had read about this particular brass on a reloading forum, but it is always good to have a reminder.....especially for me and my memory. I went to the shooting range last evening, and so was sorting brass today. To date, I have not run across any of this brass, but it pays to keep looking for it.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 01-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Can you post a pic of your cartridge, side view, before shooting? I get a lot of 'range pickups' from my LGS. It would be good to know NOT to buy/reload it.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
NH Photo Shooter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Can you post a pic of your cartridge, side view, before shooting? I get a lot of 'range pickups' from my LGS. It would be good to know NOT to buy/reload it.
Not sure what you're looking for. The loaded round doesn't look any different than any other 9mm ammo from the outside. The step is on the inside, as the photo I posted shows.

When picking up range brass, just look inside. Or do it while you're handloading. It's very easy to see that step on the inside. Can't miss it.

Don't buy any ammo headstamped IMT or AMMOLOAD if you intend to use the brass again. There may be other headstamps/brands from the same case manufacturer as well that I didn't find in my research. But one look inside a fired case, and you'll know the stuff right away.
Unread 01-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Photo Shooter View Post
The step is on the inside, as the photo I posted shows...
So that's a case that didn't separate???
Unread 01-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #6
NH Photo Shooter
User

Quote:
So that's a case that didn't separate???
Correct. By the looks of it, I'd say it has never been reloaded after it initial commercial load was fired. It's pretty clean on the inside walls.
Unread 01-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Correct. By the looks of it, I'd say it has never been reloaded after it initial commercial load was fired. It's pretty clean on the inside walls.
Oh, so these are reloads??? By some factory or business???
Unread 01-16-2016, 02:47 AM   #8
NH Photo Shooter
User

Quote:
Oh, so these are reloads??? By some factory or business???
OK, from the top. Some company, apparently in Turkey, makes this brass for other companies to load into ammunition. They make this brass in an unconventional way, with a step on the inside instead of a taper to the case wall thickness (see photo). The companies that buy the brass load it with initial first loadings, like Remington, Winchester, Fiocchi, or PMC would do if they didn't make their own brass. There does not appear to be a problem with firing this commercial ammunition. The Turkish company will headstamp this virgin brass to order, IMT or AMMOLOAD that I know of.

The problem arises when people like me handload this particular brass. It is apparently not designed to be used more than once (reloaded). In that respect it's like Blazer aluminum cases: OK to shoot, not designed to be reloaded.

I've never seen a new box of this ammo as far as I know. I picked up some once fired cases of it at a local commercial range, along with a lot of other normal once fired brass. I noticed the difference right away as I was running it through the Dillon, but did not realize there would be a problem until there was one. Then I looked it up on the Internet and discovered that others had had the same issue.

I was not able to find the ejected case head of the case that failed. I was shooting at the same commercial range, it was busy at the time, and there was just too much brass lying around.

Sometimes, when shooting at that facility, I pick up a lot of other people's cases, (hundreds of cases at a time) after asking of course. Most people don't handload, so they don't mind. That's where I get most of the semi-auto cases that I reload. I always ask the people whose cases I'm scrounging if they handload. I only want once fired cases. With semi-auto cases (9mm and 45 ACP), I only reload it once and then recycle it. So far I've been able to scrounge a lot more once fire brass in this way than I've been able to handload. I shoot about half handloads (mine only!) and half known commercial brands like Blazer Brass and Federal American Eagle.

Does that make it all clear?
The following 2 members says Thank You to NH Photo Shooter for your post:
Unread 01-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Does that make it all clear?
Yes it does. Would have been better if you'd said some of that in the beginning - It read like a continuation of a previous thread/discussion.

Not criticizing, mind you. Just that we're not all geniuses, some of us are really quite simple. I would fall off a turnip truck.

One note - I've reloaded several aluminum cases, just for S&G. 45 mostly, one or two 9mm. Couple 38 Spl. They reloaded OK (Boxer primed) but obviously not something recommended. The revolver loads I didn't worry about but the autoloader cases were suspect.

I didn't look to see where you are, but here in NYS ammunition sales are still frozen, with more restrictive state laws being enacted even as we speak. Ammunition sales will be subject to the same laws as handguns, requiring NICS checks and only thru a dealer - no private sales of ammunition.

That ought to put an end to terrorism.

And when Hillary becomes president next year, we'll all be living in the land of milk and honey, safe from criminals and extremists.
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 01-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
NH Photo Shooter
User

Quote:
Yes it does. Would have been better if you'd said some of that in the beginning - It read like a continuation of a previous thread/discussion.

Not criticizing, mind you. Just that we're not all geniuses, some of us are really quite simple. I would fall off a turnip truck.

One note - I've reloaded several aluminum cases, just for S&G. 45 mostly, one or two 9mm. Couple 38 Spl. They reloaded OK (Boxer primed) but obviously not something recommended. The revolver loads I didn't worry about but the autoloader cases were suspect.

I didn't look to see where you are, but here in NYS ammunition sales are still frozen, with more restrictive state laws being enacted even as we speak. Ammunition sales will be subject to the same laws as handguns, requiring NICS checks and only thru a dealer - no private sales of ammunition.

That ought to put an end to terrorism.

And when Hillary becomes president next year, we'll all be living in the land of milk and honey, safe from criminals and extremists.
I would suggest avoiding turnip trucks.

I once did the same thing you did: handloaded a Blazer aluminum case just to see if I could. Didn't fire it though. Pulled the bullet and recycled the powder and primer. When Blazers first came out, the aluminum cased variety was all there was, and it was Berdan primed, I assume to discourage handloading. I hardly ever buy the stuff, but was surprised to discover a few years ago that they had switched to Boxer primers. That's probably a cost saving measure, as it avoids having to run two systems with different supplies.

Off topic, but I certainly sympathize with shooters who are unfortunate enough to live in NYS. I grew up in a town outside of Buffalo, but escaped to New Hampshire, which so far is still a free state, 30 odd years ago.

And, yes, the thought of another Clinton in the White House is nothing short of appalling.

But this is the wrong forum for that discussion, so lets nip that in the bud right now.
The following member says Thank You to NH Photo Shooter for your post:
Unread 01-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I have not tried to handload any alum cases, but did handload a few old 45ACP steel cases from WWll. It wasn't really intentional, but they came out of my case tumbler looking like a dull nickel coated case, and it didn't dawn on me that they were polished steel cases. They not only loaded o.k., but they shot fine. I am not recommending this, as I am very careful of my sizing dies, but it can, and has been done.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 01-18-2016, 12:46 AM   #12
Zorba
User

In the FWIW dept., I just happened to be going to the range today, so I grabbed a box of Freedom Munitions 9mm "new" which was indeed head-stamped "Ammoload". Upon firing, I was able to confirm the presence of the step inside the case.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Zorba for your post:
Unread 01-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
noylj
User

Note: they are a danger to reload because the case capacity is different.
You COULD reload them, but they would need a separate load work-up andwould need to be sorted out of normal 9x19 cases. Considering the cost of 9x19 cases, they SHOULD be thrown away. The risks are too great for a negligible gain.
The real thing to emphasize is "Inspect your cases, every time, inside and out."
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to noylj for your post:
Unread 01-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #14
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

You meant "saved in the brass pile to be sold for scrap", right?