LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 07-15-2002, 12:42 AM   #1
Herb
User

Post Luger sub caliber device

Does anyone have any idea what this is worth? It is the same as the one on page 386 of Kenyon's Lugers At Random but in 4mm rather than 22 cal. It has two eagles over 77 on one side and one on the back. Serial #1449.
Unread 07-15-2002, 01:15 AM   #2
Doug G.
User

Does it use special steel inserts for the 4mm round? I have a kit like it for a PP or PPk that uses the 4mm. Don't know what their worth for a P.08, but I bought my Walther kit on Ebay for $90 and got a steal on it! If you plan on shooting it give Bob Simpson a call as I think he still has new manufacturer ammo for the 4mm. Be prepared as it is no longer imported it will run $25 for 100 rounds. It is fun to shoot though as an air rifle is louder!
Unread 07-15-2002, 01:38 AM   #3
Herb
User

Doug, I think it is used just as-is. The rear is chambered at about 5 or 5 1/2mm and the bore is 4mm. If it uses an insert I don't have it. The ammo price is not bad considering what 30 cal costs. I've had it for quite a few years and was wondering what it was worth as it is not of recent manufacture, I think it might have been made in the early 1900's, but could be wrong on that.
Unread 07-15-2002, 07:11 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Herb, Judging from the Erma E/77 Waffenamp proof on the barrel assy, it would have to be military made after 1933. If the chamber is too small to accomodate a 22lr round, it must be spoon fed, one round at a time. The mag shown is the 22lr type for the auto loading kit with their own conversion toggle assy. Tom H.
Unread 07-15-2002, 12:20 PM   #5
Herb
User

Lugerdoc, I agree, but someone is wrong about it. Costanzo shows the spread winged three lined eagle over 77 as a 1934 Erma 22cal conversion unit marking (see pg 361) and Kenyon shows it as a Swiss unit, the markings are identical on the yoke (pg 386). Goes to show ya, even the 'experts' make mistakes, no wonder new collectors get confused. Another interesting observation, both say it is a 22cal unit, this is definitely 4mm, I tried to put a 22 bullet into it, wouldn't come close to fitting. Interesting. 2