LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 04-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
Greg B.
User

Default Handloader Magazine April 2016

Anybody seen the latest Handloader magazine? Terry Wieland has several articles about loading for the Luger and truncated cone bullets. Since I have been fighting with a 1937 Mauser since the 1970's my next step will be switching to a truncated cone design if my current round nose FMJ bullets don't feed reliably. A fellow club member gave me a magazine full of this type of bullet and it functioned perfectly.

I would also like to thank you people for all the information you have posted over the years as it is what has allowed me to get this pistol working properly.

Greg B.
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
Anybody seen the latest Handloader magazine? Terry Wieland has several articles about loading for the Luger and truncated cone bullets. Since I have been fighting with a 1937 Mauser since the 1970's my next step will be switching to a truncated cone design if my current round nose FMJ bullets don't feed reliably. A fellow club member gave me a magazine full of this type of bullet and it functioned perfectly.

I would also like to thank you people for all the information you have posted over the years as it is what has allowed me to get this pistol working properly.

Greg B.
Hi,

I subscribe to this magazine. Is this issue already on the stands, as I don't remember seeing several articles on Parabellum reloading recently, as this would have been a joy for me.

Well, I hope he knows what he is talking about, but this is doubtful, as loading for the Parabellum is a lost art. We will see.

If you want some truncated cast bullet loads that are one holers, please PM me and I'll gladly share these.

The Luger isn't hard to load for at all, once you understand some basics. These basics have been lost over the years, however, particularly powder selection and OAL requirements.

I hope to hear from you.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I have subscribed to Handloader Magazine for many years. Usually I discard them after reading, unless there is a article that pertains to me and my handloading practices. I did read, and flag, the article to keep as a reference. The author is loading with CFE pistol powder, which is fairly new, and I have no experience with it. His rounds were tested in a std. P08, an artillery, and a carbine Luger if memory serves. It is so rare to find articles concerning Luger specific handloads, that I have filed it for future reference.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
I have subscribed to Handloader Magazine for many years. Usually I discard them after reading, unless there is a article that pertains to me and my handloading practices. I did read, and flag, the article to keep as a reference. The author is loading with CFE pistol powder, which is fairly new, and I have no experience with it. His rounds were tested in a std. P08, an artillery, and a carbine Luger if memory serves. It is so rare to find articles concerning Luger specific handloads, that I have filed it for future reference.
Hi,

I've read that article, and, basically, found it useless, as he made little or no attempt to develop loads for accuracy. To me, it seemed more like an advertisement for the aforementioned new powder.

I did find the article, mentioned by the other poster above, on line and printed it out. Not by the author he quotes, this was just a general article for modern 9mm Luger loading, again, with no reference to accuracy. You would probably do better just to refer to the Hornady Handbook for reloading.

Oh well.

Sieger
Unread 04-14-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
Greg B.
User

Hi Sieger,

Thank you for your kind offer. If you could post the mold maker and product number, bullet weight, size and alloy I would be most interested. This will probably be my next bullet casting project

Weiland's article confirmed my developing suspicion that bullet shape is an important variable in loading for the Luger along with the other factors you mentioned. Several years ago a fellow club member gave me some 147 gr. FMJ truncated cone ammunition to try in my 1937 Mauser as it worked well in his 1916 DWM. It also worked well in the Mauser which was continually jamming for one reason or another.

Hope you can post that mold information and I look forward to your comments on the Handloader article.

Rhuff,

I wish I had your intestinal fortitude when it comes to throwing out old gun magazines. I expect I am a chronic pack rat.

Greg B.
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
Sieger
User

Quote:
Hi Sieger,

Thank you for your kind offer. If you could post the mold maker and product number, bullet weight, size and alloy I would be most interested. This will probably be my next bullet casting project

Weiland's article confirmed my developing suspicion that bullet shape is an important variable in loading for the Luger along with the other factors you mentioned. Several years ago a fellow club member gave me some 147 gr. FMJ truncated cone ammunition to try in my 1937 Mauser as it worked well in his 1916 DWM. It also worked well in the Mauser which was continually jamming for one reason or another.

Hope you can post that mold information and I look forward to your comments on the Handloader article.

Rhuff,

I wish I had your intestinal fortitude when it comes to throwing out old gun magazines. I expect I am a chronic pack rat.

Greg B.
Hi,

A few minute phone call would be best for me, particularly if your Mauser Luger is causing you some odd problems.

The 147 gr bullets are way too heavy for the Luger's springs, and I wouldn't suggest shooting them on a regular basis.

I hope we can get in touch.

Sieger
Unread 04-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:

Rhuff,

Greg B.

Greg,

I used to keep every magazine i subscribed to for years and years. One day, I realized that I had a "book store" and was rapidly running out of space. Some of the information in some of the magazines was no longer applicable, and some of it was just wrong. It took a few years of continued studying to come to these conclusions regarding the information contained in the magazines.

Long story short, I keep what I MIGHT refer back to in the future, and discard the rest. I never discard old handloading manuals or old handloading information that pertains to my situations, as it has frequently given me valuable information that is otherwise difficult to ascertain.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Handloader Magazine is on Facebook~https://www.facebook.com/Handloader.Magazine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handloader 002.JPG
Views:	41