upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 06-22-2002, 04:14 PM   #1
ken d
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Post Navy Luger Werft Marks

In an earlier Unit Marking thread, it was stated that unit markings had to contain the PERIODS to be authenic. Does this apply to werft markings also; i.e. W W / W.W.? Or are both correct? Imperial Lugers, Page 195, definition table 9, shows both. Any Help?
ken d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 10:40 PM   #2
Navy
RIP

Hi Ken,

Although I have been AWOL from the list for the past couple of weeks, I am back on duty as the Navy moderator and hope I can be of assistance.

While it is certainly true that the preponderance of Imperial Navy grip strap markings have the period stamped in, to believe that this was universal or the lack of this punctuation indicates a primae facie fake is somewhat naive and indicates a failure to understand how a yound soldier or sailor's mind really works.

Lest I get too windy on this matter, I shall merely quote an old German military proverb: "Dienst ist dienst und schnaps ist schnaps!", which figuratively translates to , "Do whats necessary to make the superiors go away"

Simply stated, unit armorers marked guns with the tools they had and did so as an additional duty (In the Army, the unit farrier, not the armorer did the marking and since it was "out of scope" for his military occupation, he was paid a supplement for this work. I have not found a similar provision in Imperial Navy regulations.)

Consequently, any assumption that there was 100% uniformnity is at best a very long shot...

Tom
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 08:30 PM   #3
ken d
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanks Tom:
My curiosity was aroused after reading the Unit Marking thread. My 06 has W.W.(with periods) and my 1916 has W K (no periods)

Ken D
ken d is offline   Reply With Quote