LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 07-24-2002, 11:03 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Post New to navy Lugers

Went into my local gun shop today looking for Lugers. The owner said I just missed a beautiful 1914 Navy dated 1917 which was brought in and sold in a few hours. That hurt, but the nice thing was he could still show it to me, as the new owner has to wait ten days here in this rotten left coast state. It was absolutely pristine, 99%++, matching (except for correct mag). It had a holster which was pretty beat up, and no other accessories. It went for $3,000. Never having bought a Navy, and knowing very little about them, was this price in the ballpark? Now here's the kicker: The elderly gentleman who brought in the Navy is coming in with a Dutch contract, and the gunshop owner is familiar with this gun having sold it many years ago to its present owner. He says it is also in super mint condition, and will give me first crack at it. I am also not knowledgeable about Dutch Lugers, so what would be a ballpark value on this piece? Any estimates would be greatly appreciated.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Aaron, $3000.00 for a 1917 in the condition you describe with a holster would have been a good price in my opinion. Navy holsters are rare and expensive. I paid $2000.00 for my 1917 Navy w|o holster at the Yuma gun show. I guess it is about 90% or so. I personally would have some reservations about a 99% Navy. I would look very closely at a pistol in that condition. These pistols saw rough service on U-Boats, ships etc. and one in 99% condition makes me wonder? Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2002, 12:56 PM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

A Dutch Luger in "super mint" condition should also be looked at closely.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 12:28 AM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Red face

I would do some studying before I started my collection with a $3000 navy Luger. At that price, it is rapidly becoming a counterfeiters choice for making some quick bucks. You will have to learn some details about them to determine the true navy from the fake. Keep reading the forum. It will help a lot. Try to get someone you trust who knows these guns to help you eliminate emotion in your purchase. Dealers cannot always be trusted. They have to know too much about too many guns to be an expert on just a navy Luger or a Dutch 'mint' Luger. Then there is the profit motive. Be especially cautious about ANY 'mint' Luger or ANY Luger with a bright bore.
Big Norm