LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
PalmTree2
User

Default Fire Blue Parts

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know when about Mauser stopped doing the Fire Blue on some Luger small parts, like the toggle pins? Some call it fire blue, some Peacock Blue.

1936?

Thanks,
Mitch
PalmTree2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
MFC
User

I believe it was at the same time they transitioned from rust blue with straw parts to all salt blue, in early 1937.
Unread 02-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

The correct terminology is strawed, not fire blued. Different process with different results than strawed. Strawing results in gold type coloring. Fire bluing has been used on some front sights, and grip screws I have seen, but I have never seen major components fire blued.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

I believe I would call it "heat treatment" or "drawing" or "tempering".
The colors range from light yellow through red and blue to grey. It can be done for decoration but is more often the result of drawing hardened parts to render them less brittle.

Fire blueing is a commonly used mis-nomer, there is a "fire" blue , sometimes called carbon bluing or carbonia bluing; I believe Colt was "famous" for this very pretty but not very durable blue.

Here are the colors and temperatures required to achieve them on polished steel. These are not "my" charts but borrowed from other posts on these forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	70950  

Click image for larger version

Name:	home strawchart_1.sized.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	70951  

The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 02-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The toggle pins on early DWM are indeed "Fire Blued", versus "Strawed".
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I believe I would call it "heat treatment" or "drawing" or "tempering".
The colors range from light yellow through red and blue to grey. It can be done for decoration but is more often the result of drawing hardened parts to render them less brittle.

Fire blueing is a commonly used mis-nomer, there is a "fire" blue , sometimes called carbon bluing or carbonia bluing; I believe Colt was "famous" for this very pretty but not very durable blue.

Here are the colors and temperatures required to achieve them on polished steel. These are not "my" charts but borrowed from other posts on these forums.
I think Smith & Wesson also did the thin charcoal blue. My Llama mini 1911-styled pistols from the 40s also seem to have it. Thin, indeed!

Other than heating without the presence of as much oxygen, I'm not sure there's a difference between the carbon bluing and "fire bluing."
Unread 02-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
Rick W.
User

In my simple opinion, the early Lugers were as much a piece of art, as they were functional. Different concepts, times, and labor.

I always heard that the straw left vintage Lugers in mid 1937, but is only that, I can offer no document that says such. Must be out there, I hear the 37 straw timeframe a lot mentioned here.

One might surmise, and only that on my part, that the fire blue small Luger parts, was discontinued with the advent of hot blue, why not do all of them the same and get more pistols on line? Again just wondering and conjecture on my part.

The heat tempering/drawing tables show a number of colours. The home guy can do ok with the home cooking stove on a polished part as discussed here on this forum, but the big boys have controlled furnaces and a special controlled timing recipe. The home guy with the kitchen can get close with a bit of experimentation on methodology(heat control/time). Recipes could even be applicable to certain parts because of variables to get a common hue.

The heated parts are really not very durable, but to some quite beautiful on a vintage firearm.

I have seen a little of steel coloring with nitre salts. Brownells has them, used straight up, at temperatures for different colors.

I have a curiosity about the bluing of later firearms, charcoal blue; Colt, S&W etc, but never got into it. I would suspect parts are heated in a charcoal environment, perhaps in a metal container; kinda like case coloring; but not quite. Not even a novice here.

Green case coloring perhaps is gone with the schwinn, perhaps because of the hazardous materials. Old case coloring is a sight to behold to some of us.

A full regalia early Luger is indeed a pleasant sight. Sometimes I forget it was really a war weapon. I suspect some of that, and maybe just time/labor/$ caused the specialized coloring to go away.

Perhaps the Sturgess book references might shed some light on when all of that went away?
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 02-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
CJS57
User

My 1937 with straw parts also has fire blue on the toggle train pins. My 1937 all blue has none. I think that is the dividing line for military guns. Commercials may be different.
CJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

The time that Mauser went to salt blue is well documented, in "The Mauser Parabellum" and else where, it was in the second half of 1937.

There are many serial number lists for 1937 luger pistols that will get one closer to the actual change over if one is interested enough to look for it.

Toggle pins on early("strawed") lugers were indeed heat blued- they were drawn/tempered to the temperature that left the pins blue.

There are lists/commentary in some of the books regarding the temperatures that various parts were drawn to.
Unread 02-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #10
Rick W.
User

I have always found "The Modern Gunsmith" by Howe to be a nice reference for practical applications. This book has the table as per the home one referenced earlier.

Last edited by Rick W.; 02-07-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

It's 42 Mb and won't post to the forum, but you can download a copy of materials and processes here: https://docslide.com.br/download/lin...structions-pdf